• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any better tail light / brake light options for R1200RT?

westcoastkevin

Hello,
2011 R1200RT
I like night time riding and it is impressive the way the Goldwing and Harley riders have enough lighting at the rear. The BMW is not even close.

Are there any options for improving this situation?
Top case lamps?
Extra lamp kits?

I want to know what is out there before I take a DIY approach. It would be a bit more work because of the CANBUS.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

EDIT:
I found some. Opinions welcome.

https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/P3-Lights-with-Turn-Signals-p199685741
https://hyperlites.com/?product=3way-flashing-brakesrunningturn-signals
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/billie-brake-light?variant=6087900677

Last edited:
I see you’ve discovered both Skene and Clearwater. I’ve used Jerry Skene’s P3 lights and Clearwater Kristas for years; very noticeable! On my 2018 I added the Clearwater Billie brake light. The accelerometer feature is da bomb, but I’m not sure it works on Beemers before the WonderWheel came out. Or maybe it works but isn’t programmable?

Both are excellent with customer support. Glenn from Clearwater actually chased me down at the Sedalia rally to replace the faded bezels on my Krista lights free of charge! The fading hadn’t bothered me, but he felt he couldn’t have his product looking like that.

Pete

A big +1 for the Skene lights - in my opinion they work great, are very bright, and seem to garner attention with their subtle flicker.

I'm also a big fan of the Admore light bar. I have the one with progressive turn signals, which I believe has been researched to be better at attracting attention as well as showing your intention.

You can add a reasonable amount of rear lights without adding a controller. I know because I pull a trailer with my 2018 RT with no added controller and no issues. The trailer has LED lights. If you just add a extra LED tail/brake light I would wire it up temporarily and try it before I spent money on a Can-troller of some sort. If you over load the circuit it will just shut down, no harm done, just remove the load and it should come back. You might need to cycle power.

Currently using Skene Aux Brake Lights, nice and bright. Attached to HEX EzCAN and flash upon braking and rapid deceleration. Previously used a Admore brake light bar and worked pretty well too.

Photo of Skene lights.

IMG_3625.jpg

People who see me riding my RT with Skene Photon Blasters (front) and P3 lights (rear), tell me that the lights on the bike are "annoying." I take that as a very positive comment on my increased visibility. I think that very subtle flicker which is built into the circuitry by Jerry Skene is a very useful characteristic.

People who see me riding my RT with Skene Photon Blasters (front) and P3 lights (rear), tell me that the lights on the bike are "annoying." I take that as a very positive comment on my increased visibility. I think that very subtle flicker which is built into the circuitry by Jerry Skene is a very useful characteristic.

When I first saw Photon Blasters at a rally booth I thought Jerry Skene had gone off the marketing deep end. Then I saw them on an RT. Holy cow those things get your attention!

Pete

Thank you all for the replies.
I have a bit more reading to do.

I want to strike the correct balance of brightness.
I know that a tail light or brake light can be too bright and make it difficult of impossible to see a flashing turn signal.
The same goes for running lights and headlights with the front turn signals.

They need to be good in daylight, low light/driving rain, and night time conditions.

The positive reviews of the Skene have my attention. I had not seen the Admore, so I will read up on that.

Kevin

Last edited:
Ran with Skene for years and liked them. Bought Admore three years ago and like them as the turn signals are amber and in my opinion, attract more attention from cagers. Both are excellent products, imho, can't go wrong with either.

Skene P3 (Rear) Photon Blaster (Front)

2018 RT
I recently installed these for conspicuity reasons. Flicker is a real attention getter but it can be programmed to "off" if desired. Optional turn signal option on both front and back is a potential lifesaver, IMO. Mine also have an alert function on the front. 2 quick taps of the horn (or high beam switch if so wired) triggers a 4 second series of long and short flashes. The best part was the technical support I received from Bill at Skene. Immediate and accurate. All-in all - high praise for these lights. Did I mention flawless CAN bus connectivity and easy install?

2013 R1200RT - Tried replacing tail light bulbs with LED's

After numerous rounds with Advance auto parts to get the 'red' LED's, I thought the intensity increase was great, except it continued to show a fault. I could even live with this until I got so used to the fault light that I failed to notice the low fuel indicator (uses same fault signal). Nearly ran dry in middle of nowhere. Will try the accelerometer activated light that goes on my helmet next.

I love my Admore Light

The Admore is fantastic and easy to install. I have a 2011 R1200RT. The "hot" wire is picked up from, the powerlet and
all the wiring is at the back. The light stays on 30 seconds or so after I shut the bike off, but that's due to the powerlet
doing what it does.
Admore has fast and easy technical advice if needed and the new light (2021) uses a bluetooth connection to adjust the settings
with the Admore App.

Hello,
2011 R1200RT
I like night time riding and it is impressive the way the Goldwing and Harley riders have enough lighting at the rear. The BMW is not even close.

Are there any options for improving this situation?
Top case lamps?
Extra lamp kits?

I want to know what is out there before I take a DIY approach. It would be a bit more work because of the CANBUS.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

EDIT:
I found some. Opinions welcome.

https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/P3-Lights-with-Turn-Signals-p199685741
https://hyperlites.com/?product=3way-flashing-brakesrunningturn-signals
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/billie-brake-light?variant=6087900677

Attachments

• Wally-3.jpg
    Wally-3.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 134
I have a Givi top case and installed admore lighting led kit to it.
So brake lights and turn signals are now also on the Givi top case.
Its higher and I feel its much more visible in traffic than additional lighting down low.

Back