• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hd pan america

motor4

So wonder if talking about buying a hd on a goldwing site is akin to asking about the hd pan America to GS riders lol. Never owned a GS, always thought they looked cool though with 30” inseam (darn Germans) I can only flat foot on a GS with low suspension. Saw a youtube video, Ryan at FortNine, where he was not thrilled that bmw did the VVT only at two ‘stages’ on the 1250. Not tossing stones here, just as a non-engine guy it was an interesting video.

At any rate, the new pan America VVT seems to function across the entire engine range and one does not need to take it in for ‘shim’ (if I got that right) adjustments/checking. Just wondering what GS riders think of this new hd enduro ride. Seems, I could be very wrong, that hd did a good job out the gate. Road test when done by mags and youtube will let us know one figures.

Looking at a used 2020 r1250r, which I feel is a sweet ride, and of course a GS (same engine more/less) could be as well if one wanted that bike. It did though seem, for the price point, that the new pan America might offer good bang for the buck if one wanted an eurdo type bike.

Don't worry too much about the height of a GS. I have a 640 Adventure with a 37" seat height and my 30" inseam means I can only get 2 toes on the ground. But it is a fair sight lighter than a 1250.

As for the nw HD Pan Am it looks pretty cool on paper with some interesting features but I can't see me ever owning one. Call it my personal bias against HD. I think I'd buy a Royal Enfield Himalayan first.

When I mention the Royal Enfield Himalayan people think I am nuts. I understand why, but there is something about that machine that piques my interest.

The guys at Common Tread by Revzilla did a nice build on a Himalayan to make it much more worthy. The price is hard to beat, half what my 640Adventure was almost 15 years ago. Agreed, I think it's a neat little machine, sure it has a few weak points but for that $$ who cares?

America First!

20210718_123930-XL.jpg

Rode about 15 miles on a test ride.
Definitely quicker than the GSA, may be quicker than the FJR 0-100.

Clutch and gearbox really butter smooth, no clunks shifting up or down.
Seat is firm and comfortable.
Much more "flickable" than the GSA/S10
Feels narrower because it is.
Easier to pick up.
The "Auto Lowering" feature is seamless and let's me flat foot with seat high.
My 31" legs felt a bit more cramped than when on the GSA.
Windscreen is mechanical adjustable with one knob latches in 5 places, good airflow and quiet for me at 80.
Ride modes shift on the fly.

The front end is ugly, but you can't see it when you are riding LOL.

One hell of a motorcycle! If I were in the market I'd be interested.

She loved the Pan American until she didn't.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PjAduZPe1pc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was at a HD dealer a few weeks ago (I have some Harley lust) and looked at the Pan American. It's a really cool bike that I'd love to own. Appears to be really well made too.

Lots of positive comments from both the MC press, as well as testers here. But, will the Harley dealers treat the machine with any respect, or just move it to a corner, and push the sportsters and baggers. Remember the Buell debacle at the Harley stores.

Lots of positive comments from both the MC press, as well as testers here. But, will the Harley dealers treat the machine with any respect, or just move it to a corner, and push the sportsters and baggers. Remember the Buell debacle at the Harley stores.

I would also love to own a Buell. At the HD dealer, one of the largest in the area, there were scores of Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc., but just the one Pan American.

I would also love to own a Buell. At the HD dealer, one of the largest in the area, there were scores of Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc., but just the one Pan American.
Ah, follow the money boys. There is a big market outside cruisers with straight through pipes (that everyone hates).

America First!

20210718_123930-XL.jpg

Rode about 15 miles on a test ride.
Definitely quicker than the GSA, may be quicker than the FJR 0-100.

Clutch and gearbox really butter smooth, no clunks shifting up or down.
Seat is firm and comfortable.
Much more "flickable" than the GSA/S10
Feels narrower because it is.
Easier to pick up.
The "Auto Lowering" feature is seamless and let's me flat foot with seat high.
My 31" legs felt a bit more cramped than when on the GSA.
Windscreen is mechanical adjustable with one knob latches in 5 places, good airflow and quiet for me at 80.
Ride modes shift on the fly.

The front end is ugly, but you can't see it when you are riding LOL.

One hell of a motorcycle! If I were in the market I'd be interested.

excellent eval. IMO the front end of the HD looks a darn sight better than the GS with its duck beak.

I wonder if an RT version is in the plans?

IIRC the dealer sales person I spoke with indicated a planned replacement for the Sportster, using the PanAm powerplant. H-D’s touring focus is still on the big twins so I’d not think it likely they’d be interested in a touring version of the PanAm platform.

Best,
DeVern

When the R80G/s 1st appeared the majority of BMW riders kind of panned the looks. Now it’s considered the perfect classic dual sport motorcycle and the beauty is seen in it’s ability and ground breaking design. The H/D may attain that same sort of cult status in the future, only time will tell.

I wonder if an RT version is in the plans?

I seriously doubt it. Not enough sales in the RT segment to go around. That's why the RT is the just about last one standing. The Concours 14 is still on sale but it's not seen any significant updates in quite awhile. The FJR1300 is gone now and the ST1300 has been gone for a bit as well. Triumph's version of the RT didn't last either.

Must be doing something right...

Over on ADVRider there's a post about H-D announcing they've sold out of the 2021 production of the PanAmerica Special, the high-end version. I know I've had the chance to sit on only one, the base model, and that was only because I spotted it in the display window of the local dealer. It had just been set up and was being delivered to a buyer the next day. So apparently H-D is having good success with the model thus far.

Best,
DeVern

Back