• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gasoline Prices

lee

Debbie's Servant
Most years we see gasoline prices drop a little in the winter. This year in our town the price has slowly increased 75 cents since early November.
Wonder how high it will be by summer?
The increase has not been a big deal because we have not been out of town this winter.
Since summer I put approx 1,500 miles on my car and Debbie put approx 2,000 miles since last winter.

Last edited:
Boo hoo, try living with Canadian prices or better yet go to Europe and see what you pay.

I realize our prices are cheaper. My point is I'm surprised to see a 75 cent price increase during the winter.
Lets not get off topic so early.

I suspect it’s tied to elasticity of demand and supply. As you pointed out, people have drastically curtailed travel this past year. Heck, we bought a new vehicle for my wife last March and this week took it in for the first oil change at 3k miles. With demand down the refineries tend to cut back, inventory gets reduced, and when demand starts to come back or is anticipated to come back then prices get bumped. I expect to see even larger increases as the year goes on and people have more confidence in getting out and about.

Best,
DeVern

I realize our prices are cheaper. My point is I'm surprised to see a 75 cent price increase during the winter.
Lets not get off topic so early.

Remember when the price of Brent crude went negative. People were paid to take it and store it. With crude oil as cheap as it was gasoline prices could be even lower than they were.

Airplane and car travel expected to increase, and then there's the politics to deal with... Pricing is done ahead of time, looking forward. It helps the markets allocate resources.

Harry

In the PNW gas prices have gone up 30 to 50 cents since 11/1/2020.
Regular here is about $3.00.

Last edited:
Up until last week our regular gas prices in Ontario have been quite reasonable (to what we are used to) at around the dollar mark, give or take, per litre or approximately $4.00 an American gallon. However the prices soared between $1.15 topping out to $1.22 a litre or a little over $5.00 a US gallon.

One of the advantages of travelling in the US (pre-COVID) was your lower fuel prices, despite the major difference in our dollars.

If your regular gas prices are around the $3.00 mark for a gallon, it is still a bargain for Canadian travellers, that is, if the border were open and the two countries were COVID free. :smile

Boo hoo, try living with Canadian prices or better yet go to Europe and see what you pay.

I went to England three years ago. Rented a Nissan SUV diesel stick shift. It got close to 70mpg... AN SUV! Me and my parents friend from the 60’s, Clive did the math over dinner. With their better fuel economy and higher prices, our worse fuel economy (can’t get those efficiency models in the US for some strange reason) and lower prices... we were paying the exact or near exact (actual milage and fuel cost varies slightly from model and region) per fuel costs mile.

What a strange coincidence... almost by design.

Last time I bought gas we were up to $1.27 which is a bit of a climb over the last couple of months. With Newfoundland's economy in the toilet they doubled the provincial gas tax otherwise it would be a bunch cheaper and yes the price of gas in Canada has a lot of tax in it but I don't know the numbers. Diesel has just gone back to being higher than gasoline again, for awhile it was lower.

gas in Canada has a lot of tax in it but I don't know the numbers. Diesel has just gone back to being higher than gasoline again, for awhile it was lower.

Overall, we in Canada do seem to pay a lot of tax but a portion of that pays for our health care, permitting us to have any medical procedure, simple or complicated, with no fees attached. :thumb

Well elections have Consequences. The new administration is anti energy. So that will cause increase in fuel prices. Wholesale gasoline was 1.25 in December. It’s 1.86 per gallon today. Just wait until they implement the “green new deal”

As far as mileage in England. Smaller engines yeah, but they use a different gallon. The imperial gallon is much bigger than the US gallon thus just by that you get a higher “mileage” miles per gallon.

Be careful on the politics gas pedal please.

Our prices have been low since last Spring, even diesel was around $2.00 for some time. The Texas Valentines Freeze shut down refineries and delivery so another justification for increased prices already. After paying over $4 a gallon for diesel a few years back, I don’t dwell on prices.

Got out and used non- corn 89 yesterday. .70 cents more than corn sqeezins’ but wanted to run a tank through this bike.

19BF6F95-3721-48E2-820E-F7A4E7F35E68.jpeg

I suspect it’s tied to elasticity of demand and supply. As you pointed out, people have drastically curtailed travel this past year. Heck, we bought a new vehicle for my wife last March and this week took it in for the first oil change at 3k miles. With demand down the refineries tend to cut back, inventory gets reduced, and when demand starts to come back or is anticipated to come back then prices get bumped. I expect to see even larger increases as the year goes on and people have more confidence in getting out and about.

Best,
DeVern

Makes sense.

Our prices have been low since last Spring, even diesel was around $2.00 for some time.

I don't remember what year but there was a time where diesel was approx $1 higher than gas in our area.
Farmers and contractor were really crying and didn't blame them.
Around here diesel also stayed close to the price of E10 regular. This winter it has kept pace with gas price increases.

The price of gasoline is still so much cheaper in the USA than in most places in the world it is hard to get upset.

2019 riding to AK I was paying well North of $1.50 $CA per liter in Canada and almost as much in Alaska, never mind at Prudhoe Bay.

December 2019 in OZ anything less than $1.50 $AU a liter was "cheap".

As the number of electric vehicles on our roads increases it will be interesting to see how the transportation infrastructure costs will be shared.

The price of gasoline is still so much cheaper in the USA than in most places in the world it is hard to get upset.

2019 riding to AK I was paying well North of $1.50 $CA per liter in Canada and almost as much in Alaska, never mind at Prudhoe Bay.

December 2019 in OZ anything less than $1.50 $AU a liter was "cheap".

As the number of electric vehicles on our roads increases it will be interesting to see how the transportation infrastructure costs will be shared.

I agree, our current prices are pretty reasonable.

Here in Southern California many stations are now past $4 a gallon. That’s up $1.50 this year. There is nothing reasonable about that. But once it hits $5 by summer $4 will seem reasonable

Back