• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 Harley Pan-America 1250

I also had an old Triumph, so I have SAE, metric, and Whitworth tools :)

I also have Whitworth tools and having them really isn't as complex as it might seem. I have a good range of combination wrenches and sockets in sizes typically used on motorcycles; not on tractors and farm implements. Metric screwdrivers also work with Whitworth tools. :) The same is true of pliers and hammers. :)

Harley... full of innovative, smart, creative, forward thinking, clever engineers and technicians.

One of the neatest motorcycle experiences I have had off the bike was visiting the HD assembly plant in Kansas City many years ago (early 2000's?) with my grandfather and brother. It was amazing to see how advanced the plant was at that time, and how much thought went into the bikes. I enjoyed visiting with CVO development folks that were based there as well.

:beer

... Metric screwdrivers also work with Whitworth tools. :)

I learned that the screwdriver is often referred to in British manuals as a "drift" :) That is useful along with a BFH or sometimes a VBFH to remove parts like bearings and cylinder liners.

I keep hearing about this Like button. What is it and what does it do? My ten year old hp laptop does not seem to have one either.

If you look at other forums such as ADVrider.com there are the same buttons you see here such as "submit reply" "preview post" "edit" etc. But there is also a "like" button just like facebook where you can "like" another person's post. Especially on busy threads it cuts own on a lot of redundant or dump posts etc. On ADV I have 14 273 posts and 11 557 likes on my profile. There are times on here where I want to hit a "like" button but it does not exist. This is what an ADV post looks like.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.38.14 AM.png

If you look at other forums such as ADVrider.com there are the same buttons you see here such as "submit reply" "preview post" "edit" etc. But there is also a "like" button

I agree it helps to cut down on clutter. I like having a Like or Thanks button.
If someone replies to my post with info I need I can click on Thanks so they know I saw the post.
I don't pay attention to how many Likes I have but it's a handy option to use.

I don't care about likes either but some people do use them to track traffic on their threads/sites. For folks trying to appease their sponsors those numbers can be very important. It's also good that you can add a like to let the OP's know that their threads are still relevant and people are still watching them.

Generally speaking, "Likes" are the things which all Instagrammers, Facebookers, as well as that bane on society - Influencers - live for. It gives them meaning and purpose to their lives. If you ever see people standing in the middle of an event or scenic area posing for smiling or pouting selfies you can rest assured that they'll be posting that image on their page and then avidly checking and rechecking to see how many "likes" they get.

And for those about to hammer this opinion, I said generally speaking. :)

Now, back to Harley Talk... :laugh

Back