• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What is the best R1250 for riding in warm weather?

jsd

I have recently moved from VT to VA. My 2016 R1200RT that was fantastic for long rides in cool weather in New England but just does not quite work as well for warm weather rides in the South. I have been thinking about trading for something with a little less fairing for both better cooling but also for a lighter and more manageable (moving around garage) motorcycle. I ride completely on pavement with about a 50/50 Interstate VS City riding, both short around town and longer (4hr) day trips, no real Touring but some overnights, about 50% with passenger. Being 5' 7" with 30" inseam I was looking at the Lowered GS, RS and R. Been leaning more toward the lowered GS but with 100% of my riding done on pavement I thought that maybe a little bit to far the other direction. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

If you only ride on pavement I would not pay the extra money for GS and test ride a R to see how it works for you.
If you need a little more wind protection try the RS. You'll still have the foot warmer problem with and of the boxer bikes.
Do you have a dealer close by with a RS and R available to test ride.
Is the R available in a low version.? I don't think there's a low RS version.

You should definitely test ride the other bikes you are considering.

In 2015, I bought a used 2010 R1200GSA. I also had a 2005 GL1800 at the time. GSA has way more air flow & made riding in the hotter months pleasurable. Bigger gas tank on GSA made it more top heavy.

An advantage to a GS/GSA is you have a bit more flexibility if you decide to change to a path less traveled.

I moved from a 2005 GL1800 to a 2016 R1200RT in November. The RT had substantially more air flow, while still providing decent protection in the rain.

I've been thinking about getting another bike to complement my 2016 RT for this very reason.

I'm considering:

R Nine T
S 1000 R
Ducati Monster
Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09
older K75 / K100 / K1100

My thought it to go with something that doesn't have a fairing (or has a minimal one) and is lighter... ~400 lbs would be ideal. Some of those I listed are quite a bit heavier than that, but if a good deal comes up on a low mileage one, I might jump on it.

I've been thinking about getting another bike to complement my 2016 RT for this very reason.

I'm considering:

R Nine T
S 1000 R
Ducati Monster
Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09
older K75 / K100 / K1100

My thought it to go with something that doesn't have a fairing (or has a minimal one) and is lighter... ~400 lbs would be ideal. Some of those I listed are quite a bit heavier than that, but if a good deal comes up on a low mileage one, I might jump on it.

I've got a 2016 RT and a Yamaha FZ-07. I really enjoyed the FZ in the mountains until I bought my 2019 Monster 1200s. The Ducati is incredible! 150hp and 400lbs. It handles like a dream. I'm going to sell the Yamaha in the Spring.

I've got a 2016 RT and a Yamaha FZ-07. I really enjoyed the FZ in the mountains until I bought my 2019 Monster 1200s. The Ducati is incredible! 150hp and 400lbs. It handles like a dream. I'm going to sell the Yamaha in the Spring.
I've never been on a Ducati. When I look at something like The Monster I think of the "purity" of motorcycle riding. :thumb
OM

Two bikes

I wish two bikes were an option, even one toy is hard to justify. One other thing I really like about the RT is the "Road Presence" I used to ride sports bikes and have found a dramatic difference riding the RT. People actually see you, rather their brains seem to recognize the taller motorcycle much more easily than the leaned over style. It looks like the GS maintains that where the R & RS are quite a bit lower in the nose.
Test driving is on the list but a 1/2 hour in one type of weather doesn't give a broad overview. I learned the hard way with a 2009 Concourse which was a fantastic motorcycle until it was above 80 degrees, it then became an evil heat source that seemed like it may burst into flames any minute.
The new Honda Rebel 1100 looks interesting as a economical version of the R, perhaps 2 bikes isn't such a bad idea....

I really like about the RT is the "Road Presence" I used to ride sports bikes and have found a dramatic difference riding the RT. People actually see you, rather their brains seem to recognize the taller motorcycle much more easily than the leaned over style. It looks like the GS maintains that where the R & RS are quite a bit lower in the nose.

A good set of Auxiliary lights help.

I think the GS "low" is still taller than an R or RS. There are low seats for the R and RS, but the seat height on the R is about 32" off the ground stock, and right about 30" with the low seat option, I think.

Seat Heights

I think the GS "low" is still taller than an R or RS. There are low seats for the R and RS, but the seat height on the R is about 32" off the ground stock, and right about 30" with the low seat option, I think.

According to BMW's seat Web Site
GS Lowered Suspension: 31.5"/32.3"
R & RS Low Seat: 29.9"
Touratech makes an "Extra" Low - Seat: 5 cm (2 inches) lower than GS and Their "Low" 2 cm (.8 inches) lower than GS. They do not state which GS seat they are comparing it to though. I assume standard which puts their extra low at 30.3 which is very close to the 29.9 of both my existing RT and the R & RS.
Although the GS Low is slightly taller still than the R & RS it doesn't seem to be an extreme amount, I think I would have to ride them both to see if the GS is out of my height restrictions.
I currently have a Russell sport day long on my RT which I would say is about 30.75 but well worth the little extra reach for the comfort.

South Florida rider here and you are right about the RT being tough in hot weather. My fellow group rider always is sweating profusely during our summer rides and complaining about the heat.

I've had both a 2016 R1200GS and currently a 2020 R1250R. Both will move air much better than the RT. From your description of riding style and wants the R seems like a definite candidate for you.

GS to R

South Florida rider here and you are right about the RT being tough in hot weather. My fellow group rider always is sweating profusely during our summer rides and complaining about the heat.

I've had both a 2016 R1200GS and currently a 2020 R1250R. Both will move air much better than the RT. From your description of riding style and wants the R seems like a definite candidate for you.

Thank you, can I ask why you went from the GS to the R? And do you miss the fairing protection and windscreen?

I went from a 2015 1200R to a 2019 1250GS low. The "R" had the sport windshield which really didn't provide much wind protection and it actually made more "noise" than without it. The "R" is definitely lower and narrower than the "GS." What I like better about the "GS" is its ability to do everything and then some! For me the wind protection is more than adequate and the totally upright riding position is very comfortable.

Thank you, can I ask why you went from the GS to the R? And do you miss the fairing protection and windscreen?
My specific reason is that I own a HD Road King Special for touring. I don't ride off-road (47K on the GS with zero dirt) and I like being able to flat foot the R. The GS is a great bike but the R is a blast and I have no regrets with the move.

I traded an RT on a lowered GSA (I liked the seating position better) and was pleasantly surprised to find it cooler too, although Texas in August is hot no matter what you ride.

Pay no attention to people who think if you're not long-way-arounding on your GS that you're doing it wrong. Sure, you can even ride it to Starbucks if you want! I've put 165K miles on my lowered GSAs and spent less than 1000 of them on unpaved roads, and even they were just good gravel. FWIW my inseam is 29" and with my GSA low I'm on the balls of both feet, or brake and flatfoot. I did put on a CalSci windshield, I thought the OEM one worked fine but even looking over it the distortion was just too much for me.

My wife and I (also in Virginia) each have an R and find them to be quite quite capable for the riding we do and very comfortable in warm weather. True, the GS is the "Swiss Army Knife" of BMWs but for street riding you really don't need all its capabilities. And yes, I've owned two GSs.

Any 2 up?

My wife and I (also in Virginia) each have an R and find them to be quite quite capable for the riding we do and very comfortable in warm weather. True, the GS is the "Swiss Army Knife" of BMWs but for street riding you really don't need all its capabilities. And yes, I've owned two GSs.

Do you do much 2 up riding on the R? I was just a little concerned about the seating arrangement compared to the RT or GS. Reading online is seems passengers really like the GS layout.

Do you do much 2 up riding on the R? I was just a little concerned about the seating arrangement compared to the RT or GS. Reading online is seems passengers really like the GS layout.

We never ride 2 up - we each have our own bike - so I can't speak to how well the R carries a passenger.

Word on the R1200R forum is that pillion comfort depends on the person sitting on the pillion - I would suggest a two-up test ride.

Back