Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Soft Large Tailpack ideas for 2020 RT.

  1. #1
    ohbeemer ramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    188

    Soft Large Tailpack ideas for 2020 RT.

    I have used the Marsee Bavarian pack on many bike. I like the expanding top, and mostly the side zippered pockets for organization. The problem is that the sides sag and contact the silver passenger rails and over time will rub the paint. Also the attachment straps take some inventive ideas. Can anyone suggest a similar pack thats made for this bike? I think it's 36 liter but not sure. I never ride with a pillion so have lots of space, some wasted with this Bavarian.

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,237
    The BMW 50 liter Duffel has a plastic tray in the bottom to prevent sagging but it does not have any organizing pockets.
    The latest version is blue.

    Name:  50 Liter bag.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  397.2 KB

    Looks like it's called the Luggage Roll Duffel Bag3 now.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1304443
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg SC
    Posts
    132
    Although not BMW specific, check out the Japanese made "Motofizz" seat bags sold through Aerostich. I have the Large size and it is HUGE. It is well designed and very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The bag does not sag, holds it's shape well and should you need the capacity of a Conestoga Wagon the side extensions stay fairly flat as well. The biggest downside is that they are not waterproof, but do come with a rain cover. I didn't purchase this bag myself (long story) but if I had I would have picked up the medium; they come on 3 sizes- take your pick. High price but high quality.
    Last edited by DaveSlash5; 02-22-2021 at 02:06 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSlash5 View Post
    Although not BMW specific, check out the Japanese made "Motofizz" seat bags sold through Aerostich. I have the Large size and it is HUGE. It is well designed and very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The bag does not sag, holds it's shape well and should you need the capacity of a Conestoga Wagon the side extensions stay fairly flat as well. The biggest downside is that they are not waterproof, but do come with a rain cover. I didn't purchase this bag myself (long story) but if I had I would have picked up the medium; they come on 3 sizes- take your pick. High price but high quality.
    +1 with Motofizz. I’ve had the medium sized bag for at least 10 years, maybe longer. It fits any bike with a simple strapping solution. The rain cover is oversized, to cover the bag and anything that’s strapped to the many purchase points.

  5. #5
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,267

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    80
    Wolfman makes a lot of different bags.

    Cheers, Ken
    2015 R1200GS

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSlash5 View Post
    Although not BMW specific, check out the Japanese made "Motofizz" seat bags sold through Aerostich. I have the Large size and it is HUGE. It is well designed and very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The bag does not sag, holds it's shape well and should you need the capacity of a Conestoga Wagon the side extensions stay fairly flat as well. The biggest downside is that they are not waterproof, but do come with a rain cover. I didn't purchase this bag myself (long story) but if I had I would have picked up the medium; they come on 3 sizes- take your pick. High price but high quality.
    hopefully not a complete hi-jack (is there such thing as a partial hi-jack?)

    I'd call that a ringing endorsement! I have a fairly large waterproof duffle that barely holds all my camp gear- in fact...it doesn't hold all camp gear. Wondering if large is a reasonable alternative. My research shows that many with the large wish they had gotten the medium but I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, kermit chair, whisperjet stove, quart pot, cup, half dozen or more backpacker dinners, toiletries, and i'd like room to shove rain gear as well as riding gear at stops. I guess I'm talking myself into the large, but you seem to have some experience- thoughts? I have a top case and panniers but clothes and other gear seem to fill them rather well on my longer trips.

    Finally- the tie-down on my duffle (all duffles?) is kinda jury rig, the moto fizz looks a little more thought out.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    hopefully not a complete hi-jack (is there such thing as a partial hi-jack?)

    I'd call that a ringing endorsement! I have a fairly large waterproof duffle that barely holds all my camp gear- in fact...it doesn't hold all camp gear. Wondering if large is a reasonable alternative. My research shows that many with the large wish they had gotten the medium but I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, kermit chair, whisperjet stove, quart pot, cup, half dozen or more backpacker dinners, toiletries, and i'd like room to shove rain gear as well as riding gear at stops. I guess I'm talking myself into the large, but you seem to have some experience- thoughts? I have a top case and panniers but clothes and other gear seem to fill them rather well on my longer trips.

    Finally- the tie-down on my duffle (all duffles?) is kinda jury rig, the moto fizz looks a little more thought out.
    I would advise to pack a couple of ROK Straps in one of the MotoFizz’s pockets to keep the rain cover on. I lost my original cover in Nebraska on a wet and windy day, it probably ended up in a field full of Black Angus. I never saw it leave the bike.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg SC
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    hopefully not a complete hi-jack (is there such thing as a partial hi-jack?)

    I'd call that a ringing endorsement! I have a fairly large waterproof duffle that barely holds all my camp gear- in fact...it doesn't hold all camp gear. Wondering if large is a reasonable alternative. My research shows that many with the large wish they had gotten the medium but I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, kermit chair, whisperjet stove, quart pot, cup, half dozen or more backpacker dinners, toiletries, and i'd like room to shove rain gear as well as riding gear at stops. I guess I'm talking myself into the large, but you seem to have some experience- thoughts? I have a top case and panniers but clothes and other gear seem to fill them rather well on my longer trips.

    Finally- the tie-down on my duffle (all duffles?) is kinda jury rig, the moto fizz looks a little more thought out.
    I can pack my 3 man tent, 0 degree down bag (In a compression sack), air pad, some clothes, basic fly fishing gear, toiletries, road atlas, and other light but bulky items in the pack with the sides extended and still have lots of spare room for quick access items that may not be in the outside pockets. The side "cup holder" holds a water bottle or small thermos- nice! Tools, cookware, stove, liquids and drinks, food, book(s), fire extinguisher and heavy dense items go in my panniers along with with extra shoes or boots.

    I try to fill the panniers first to keep weight as low as possible, then start on the Motofizz. I have never actually filled the Motofizz to it's capacity, that is why I say that if I had ordered it I would have purchased a medium. I am now thinking about getting a small one for weekend trips and day rides without the panniers but have yet do place my order.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSlash5 View Post
    I can pack my 3 man tent, 0 degree down bag (In a compression sack), air pad, some clothes, basic fly fishing gear, toiletries, road atlas, and other light but bulky items in the pack with the sides extended and still have lots of spare room for quick access items that may not be in the outside pockets. The side "cup holder" holds a water bottle or small thermos- nice! Tools, cookware, stove, liquids and drinks, food, book(s), fire extinguisher and heavy dense items go in my panniers along with with extra shoes or boots.

    I try to fill the panniers first to keep weight as low as possible, then start on the Motofizz. I have never actually filled the Motofizz to it's capacity, that is why I say that if I had ordered it I would have purchased a medium. I am now thinking about getting a small one for weekend trips and day rides without the panniers but have yet do place my order.
    Does the large fit between you and a topcase? (assuming a topcase!)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg SC
    Posts
    132
    It should, but I don't use a topcase. I just don't like something solid behind me in case of an unintentional "get-off". Hard panniers are bad enough in my book, but I consider them essential for travel.

    On my 2002 RT, I used the Motofizz on my rack with a little hangover over the pillion seat. I now ride a GS and since I ride solo have removed the pillion seat and grab rails then installed a BlackDog Helo-Pad. It is a BIG aluminum rack that allows the bag to be carried a couple inches lower than if it were on a seat, thereby lowering the center of gravity a little.
    Last edited by DaveSlash5; 02-25-2021 at 04:27 AM.

  12. #12
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,361
    I have used my Ortlieb bag, in yellow, for about 15 years and it is still going strong...YMMV https://ortliebusa.com/product/rack-pack/
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Seal Beach, CA
    Posts
    497
    I'm surprised that the obvious choice has not been already mentioned: the BMW Softbag 2, size Large.
    '20 R1250RT,
    Priors: '17 R1200GS, '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    71
    BMW Softbag 3, SIMMS dry duffle, either would work and won't completely break the bank. To be extra safe (and dry), a super large contractor garbage bag for yard cleanup works as an extra water barrier.


    Jerry
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Augusta, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

  15. #15
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I have used my Ortlieb bag, in yellow, for about 15 years and it is still going strong...YMMV https://ortliebusa.com/product/rack-pack/
    Very good quality
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 02:48 AM
  2. Soft grips?
    By Quickster2 in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:25 AM
  3. Soft Knock, 08 RT
    By leadfoot in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 03:42 AM
  4. Soft Luggage
    By bmwgsrider in forum Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •