• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Soft Large Tailpack ideas for 2020 RT.

ramble

ohbeemer
I have used the Marsee Bavarian pack on many bike. I like the expanding top, and mostly the side zippered pockets for organization. The problem is that the sides sag and contact the silver passenger rails and over time will rub the paint. Also the attachment straps take some inventive ideas. Can anyone suggest a similar pack thats made for this bike? I think it's 36 liter but not sure. I never ride with a pillion so have lots of space, some wasted with this Bavarian.

The BMW 50 liter Duffel has a plastic tray in the bottom to prevent sagging but it does not have any organizing pockets.
The latest version is blue.

50 Liter bag.jpg

Looks like it's called the Luggage Roll Duffel Bag3 now.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...WSQaLPjuHEmwTvjgYaAsBmEALw_wcB&sku_id=1304443

Although not BMW specific, check out the Japanese made "Motofizz" seat bags sold through Aerostich. I have the Large size and it is HUGE. It is well designed and very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The bag does not sag, holds it's shape well and should you need the capacity of a Conestoga Wagon the side extensions stay fairly flat as well. The biggest downside is that they are not waterproof, but do come with a rain cover. I didn't purchase this bag myself (long story) but if I had I would have picked up the medium; they come on 3 sizes- take your pick. High price but high quality.

Last edited:
Although not BMW specific, check out the Japanese made "Motofizz" seat bags sold through Aerostich. I have the Large size and it is HUGE. It is well designed and very well made with a lot of attention to detail. The bag does not sag, holds it's shape well and should you need the capacity of a Conestoga Wagon the side extensions stay fairly flat as well. The biggest downside is that they are not waterproof, but do come with a rain cover. I didn't purchase this bag myself (long story) but if I had I would have picked up the medium; they come on 3 sizes- take your pick. High price but high quality.

+1 with Motofizz. I’ve had the medium sized bag for at least 10 years, maybe longer. It fits any bike with a simple strapping solution. The rain cover is oversized, to cover the bag and anything that’s strapped to the many purchase points.

hopefully not a complete hi-jack (is there such thing as a partial hi-jack?)

I'd call that a ringing endorsement! I have a fairly large waterproof duffle that barely holds all my camp gear- in fact...it doesn't hold all camp gear. Wondering if large is a reasonable alternative. My research shows that many with the large wish they had gotten the medium but I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, kermit chair, whisperjet stove, quart pot, cup, half dozen or more backpacker dinners, toiletries, and i'd like room to shove rain gear as well as riding gear at stops. I guess I'm talking myself into the large, but you seem to have some experience- thoughts? I have a top case and panniers but clothes and other gear seem to fill them rather well on my longer trips.

Finally- the tie-down on my duffle (all duffles?) is kinda jury rig, the moto fizz looks a little more thought out.

I'd call that a ringing endorsement! I have a fairly large waterproof duffle that barely holds all my camp gear- in fact...it doesn't hold all camp gear. Wondering if large is a reasonable alternative. My research shows that many with the large wish they had gotten the medium but I'm packing tent, sleeping bag, kermit chair, whisperjet stove, quart pot, cup, half dozen or more backpacker dinners, toiletries, and i'd like room to shove rain gear as well as riding gear at stops. I guess I'm talking myself into the large, but you seem to have some experience- thoughts? I have a top case and panniers but clothes and other gear seem to fill them rather well on my longer trips.

Finally- the tie-down on my duffle (all duffles?) is kinda jury rig, the moto fizz looks a little more thought out.
I would advise to pack a couple of ROK Straps in one of the MotoFizz’s pockets to keep the rain cover on. I lost my original cover in Nebraska on a wet and windy day, it probably ended up in a field full of Black Angus. I never saw it leave the bike.

I can pack my 3 man tent, 0 degree down bag (In a compression sack), air pad, some clothes, basic fly fishing gear, toiletries, road atlas, and other light but bulky items in the pack with the sides extended and still have lots of spare room for quick access items that may not be in the outside pockets. The side "cup holder" holds a water bottle or small thermos- nice! Tools, cookware, stove, liquids and drinks, food, book(s), fire extinguisher and heavy dense items go in my panniers along with with extra shoes or boots.

I try to fill the panniers first to keep weight as low as possible, then start on the Motofizz. I have never actually filled the Motofizz to it's capacity, that is why I say that if I had ordered it I would have purchased a medium. I am now thinking about getting a small one for weekend trips and day rides without the panniers but have yet do place my order.

I can pack my 3 man tent, 0 degree down bag (In a compression sack), air pad, some clothes, basic fly fishing gear, toiletries, road atlas, and other light but bulky items in the pack with the sides extended and still have lots of spare room for quick access items that may not be in the outside pockets. The side "cup holder" holds a water bottle or small thermos- nice! Tools, cookware, stove, liquids and drinks, food, book(s), fire extinguisher and heavy dense items go in my panniers along with with extra shoes or boots.

I try to fill the panniers first to keep weight as low as possible, then start on the Motofizz. I have never actually filled the Motofizz to it's capacity, that is why I say that if I had ordered it I would have purchased a medium. I am now thinking about getting a small one for weekend trips and day rides without the panniers but have yet do place my order.

Does the large fit between you and a topcase? (assuming a topcase!)

It should, but I don't use a topcase. I just don't like something solid behind me in case of an unintentional "get-off". Hard panniers are bad enough in my book, but I consider them essential for travel.

On my 2002 RT, I used the Motofizz on my rack with a little hangover over the pillion seat. I now ride a GS and since I ride solo have removed the pillion seat and grab rails then installed a BlackDog Helo-Pad. It is a BIG aluminum rack that allows the bag to be carried a couple inches lower than if it were on a seat, thereby lowering the center of gravity a little.

Last edited:
BMW Softbag 3, SIMMS dry duffle, either would work and won't completely break the bank. To be extra safe (and dry), a super large contractor garbage bag for yard cleanup works as an extra water barrier.

Jerry

Back