• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Time to revive the 505

69zeff65

Not being a person to avoid minor projects, I acquired this from a friend of mine several years ago. The picture with the frame in it is just what I got, no motor, no transmission, no final drive and a few other items missing and somebody got carried away with a hack saw and cut part off of the side stand bracket. This is a documented original Granada Red '68 R 60US. Being somewhat of a "correct cop" I was immediately challenged with no motor, especially one with serial numbers that match the frame and paperwork, it was long gone. A month or two later that same friend contacted me and told me another friend needed to talk to me about a project. Well the project just happened to be this one and he had the original engine block from this bike and it was in excellent condition. Over the last few years I have been doing a little bit of shopping for stuff and have managed to gather up some much needed items to facilitate the revival of the 505 including a little touch up paint from Holt Design As I wind down the "Party" it is time to let the games begin as I work on this bike, the R 50/2 barn bike as well as a number of other distractions I have in my shop.

Attachments

• 505-9.JPG
    505-9.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 505-7.JPG
    505-7.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 505-4.JPG
    505-4.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 187
  • 505-3.JPG
    505-3.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 505-1.JPG
    505-1.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 185
I appreciate your ambition! And skills! Just curious...what do you mean by "505"?

Serial number

My friend that passed this bike on to me maintains a very detailed list of all the Non-Black /2's and he has confirmed this bike as an Original Granada Red R 60US.

I have my own lists of pre 1970 bikes that I've compiled over the years from things I find on the web and/or info provided to me. Those lists are on this forum, although I don't update them all that regularly...but the one on my computer I try to keep up with. You might also know about the Orphan List over on the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners website.

Got that fixed, I hope!

This bike apparently was converted to a later model, /5, /6 or /7 motor at some time and a number of needless and dumb modifications were made. I spent today un-doing those modifications and rebuilding the side stand/engine mount bracket on the left lower frame tube. I also found the rear gas tank mount bracket and the plate for the solo seat silent block position had been moved, apparently for more clearance at the top of the motor. I just wonder what else the "conversion kids" did to this bike in order to break that is not broken. No Earles Fork to paint ***YES***

Attachments

• 505-13.JPG
    505-13.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 143
  • 505-14.JPG
    505-14.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 144
A boxer in a box

Behold my first box of parts to revive the 505, more to come. I have also encountered a minor distraction, I have the paint, good brushes and rollers so I'm doing this elephant ear fender in Police Green for a friend.

Attachments

• 505-15.JPG
    505-15.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 505-17.JPG
    505-17.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 120
  • distraction 1.JPG
    distraction 1.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 120
  • distraction 2.JPG
    distraction 2.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 120
Update on the 505 project

I took the Summer off from the /2 stuff except for an occasional part purchase and small prep work. I cranked back up and got the frame and a couple other items painted the Correct Granada Red. To recap the 505 is an original factory Granada Red R 60US that I got in pieces minus the engine, not even the engine block was there. I ended up finding the original engine block (no internals just the block) so I I got going and gathered up all the missing pieces over time and now it's going back together. Stay tuned as I make progress.

Attachments

• revive 505 3.JPG
    revive 505 3.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 63
  • rivive 505 2.JPG
    rivive 505 2.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 63
  • revive 505.JPG
    revive 505.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 63
Back