• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I am all in on a used 2020 r1250r...unless someone says don’t do it :)

motor4

Do you own or have owned a R1250R? Are/were you happy with it? Anything you were unhappy about?
Btw, I am sorry, I do not see how to remove an image I added in error to the bottom of this post. I removed the coding in this message and thought that would make the photo go away.

I ask as I am looking at a used 2020 R1250R in the HP color (white with red and blue pin stripes). It has 10k miles on it and 1.5 year warranty left and it seems most options. It is suppose to have the gps prep yet I don’t see that black gps square box thing on the handlebars, have an email a into dealer asking about that. It even has a set of SHAD bags on her plus that small bmw R plastic screen on front and this one has the shift assist thing to change gears.

Hoping I won’t get too beat up by the wind when riding. I am though a drop worried as it seems the r1250r handlebars seem, if they are like the 2018 r1200r bars, a bit straighter side to side and not as much of a bend at ends towards the rider...if you follow my thought. Maybe that is due to a lack of fairing and it allows one to ride the bike without getting beat up as much by the wind at speed.

I know nothing of the shiftcam engine line though read the post about a small number of owners having issues. The dealer will do the 12k service and I will ask they inspect the shift cams to check for premature wear. It will be an out of State purchase. Would there be any need for me to ask for a photo of each side of the engine once the covers are taken off? It will still have 1.5yrs warranty left and I feel I would put 12k miles on her by then so could have the engine inspected else do a 24k service at a later date. It was purchased September 2019 so maybe by then bmw fixed this issue.

My old 05 r1200rt, first year oil head , is still running strong, though that front fairing adds weight to the old girl :) She is not worth much now days so might just stay around as my garage queen. Her Servo brakes still function and just replaced her fuel strip.

I also know nothing about the 2020 TFT screen, can I put my cell phone in some type of holder (don’t know best to get for this bike) then interface it with the TFT screen to show android or google OS (pretty sure that is a hard NO) else at least google maps? If I can at least get google maps, maybe one uses that bmw wheel to interface, would this be a good enough ‘cheap persons’ way to go or must one spend the $ and go the a bmw nav unit. Heck, even if I could use a phone to show maps on the TFT maybe it is just worth the $ to get the bmw nav unit. I know the 2021 r1250rt will have a 10.5” TFT screen that looks so nice but then if I purchase that bike would not have a light weight bmw to bum around on for city and in State riding.

I don’t know if changes are being made to the 2021 r1250r though that fancy headlight that turns as one turns into a curve would be the only extra feature I would miss if I purchased this used 2020 model.

I am thinking thinking this shiftcam engine will be different enough from my 05 and thus would add some excitement into the experience. Had consider a NineT, used 2015 that had the gold forks and a S cafe fairing, but backed out of that purchase. For touring I have a 2019 goldwing dct airbag if I want lap of luxury riding and full wind protection.
Thanks for any input and ride safe.

Last edited:
Go for it. The only real niggle I have with mine is the distance between seat and pegs is a bit too short for my 29" inseam. I got a higher seat and lower pegs that helped a bit. The engine/trans are worlds away for a 2005. As are the brakes. As for the tft interface -- you're probably better just putting your phone on the bars and pulling up waze or whatnot. The bluetooth directions app doesn't impress me much. I want my Apple Carplay!

Don't let one "don't do it" remark make your decision for you. Lots of people own one and enjoy them. Some bought one and didn't find them enjoyable. So what ya going to do? Small windshield ya get more wind...change to a larger one. Different engine yields additional HP but not a radical change. New display is a personal like or don't like...personally I can go with old or new. Ya need to visit the dealer/cycle and decide in person. All our cyber-space comments aren't worth a hoot - you decide after an inspection and test ride. Good luck.

Go for it. The only real niggle I have with mine is the distance between seat and pegs is a bit too short for my 29" inseam. I got a higher seat and lower pegs that helped a bit. The engine/trans are worlds away for a 2005. As are the brakes. As for the tft interface -- you're probably better just putting your phone on the bars and pulling up waze or whatnot. The bluetooth directions app doesn't impress me much. I want my Apple Carplay!
I am a 30” inseam, what higher seat did you buy (was it more comfortable btw) and did the higher seat result in more wind buffing?
What parts did you buy for lower pegs? Also, are you saying the bmw Bluetooth directions app is an issue else makes it not worth trying to send google map from phone display to the TFT?

I think that the 2020 dash and app only shows text directions with maybe an arrow, no map display. You'll need your phone or a separate GPS for a map display. It's not like Android Auto.

TFT is a type of display screen, much like LED or LCD. Calling the dash "TFT" is going to cause increasing confusion as it is applied to more and more models with greatly different features.

Btw, I am sorry, I do not see how to remove an image I added in error to the bottom of this post. I removed the coding in this message and thought that would make the photo go away.

If you attached the picture from your computer

At lower right (Edit Post)
Lower right (Go Advanced)
Scroll down and click on Manage Attachments

You should see a thumbnail of your picture
Hover over and you should see a X
Click on the X

It is suppose to have the gps prep yet I don’t see that black gps square box thing on the handlebars, have an email a into dealer asking about that. .

If they advertised it has the GPS prep option ask the dealer to provide the locking cradle with the sale.
The locking cradle is part of GPS Prep.
It's possible the previous owner removed the cradle.

If they advertised it has the GPS prep option ask the dealer to provide the locking cradle with the sale.
The locking cradle is part of GPS Prep.
It's possible the previous owner removed the cradle.
Spoke to dealer and indeed that is what happened. An expensive part plus cost to install anew. Waiting to see if prior owner will give it back to the shop. They traded in the bike for a NineT model.

I am a 30” inseam, what higher seat did you buy (was it more comfortable btw) and did the higher seat result in more wind buffing?
What parts did you buy for lower pegs? Also, are you saying the bmw Bluetooth directions app is an issue else makes it not worth trying to send google map from phone display to the TFT?

I got a Sargent seat and it is more comfortable. I believe I went with the SW Motech which give a 15 mm lower position. Now that I've found Knight Industries, I'd probably try those instead -- I intend to for the Street Trip.

... My old 05 r1200rt, first year oil head ...

The 2005 - 2009 engine is typically referred to as a "hex head". AFAIK, the oil heads were in the prior 1100/1150 bikes.

I can't speak to the shift cam, but going from the 2005 hex head to the 2016 wet head was like night and day IMO (in a good way).

If you like the way the R rides, go for it. You can always fit a bigger wind screen or change the bars later if you find they aren't exactly what you want. I find that my RT is great in all but the hottest weather. When its mid 90s and over, I'd like to have a R (or other naked bike... R Nine T / S1000R / Ducati Monster) to jump on and get some air flowing at me. The R is going to weigh less than something like an RT and therefore be a bit more nimble.

With a year and a half left on the warranty you're in a good position if any issues arise as well.

Spoke to dealer and indeed that is what happened. An expensive part plus cost to install anew. Waiting to see if prior owner will give it back to the shop. They traded in the bike for a NineT model.

If you are unable to locate that GPS mount, I have one I took off my 2020 R1250R I would be willing to sell. Let me know and I'll text you pics. Simple install. I have the correct bolts, lock intact as is the plug.

Nick

If you are unable to locate that GPS mount, I have one I took off my 2020 R1250R I would be willing to sell. Let me know and I'll text you pics. Simple install. I have the correct bolts, lock intact as is the plug.

Nick

Welcome to the forum!
Please remember that any swapping of accessories needs to be done through the Private Message system. We don’t want someone trying to contact a member years down the road when they don’t notice the posting date.
Having no cleanup of “offerings” is the main reason we don’t have “want to buy” or “want to sell” postings here on the forum.
TIA
OM

Yes, there is more wind. If you stay below triple-digits it's not really a problem. You feel it above 70, below that it's a non-issue. The legroom may or may not be fine - depends on whether you like a sporty position for your legs or you plan to ride it like a touring bike...

I love my R. :)

Owner of a 2020 R1250R for 7 months with 7K miles. Love the bike and the new engine and transmission are phenomenal.

TFT display is nice but the Navigation app is useless. I have Navigator 6 but in hindsight I have used my phone with Google Maps.

5'11" with 32" inseam and seating position is all day comfortable with Sargent seat.

Wind protection is decent with V-stream Sport/Touring shield.

I came off a 2016 R1200GS; prior to that had 2010 R1200R and 2000 K1200RS BMW's.

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 62
The 2005 - 2009 engine is typically referred to as a "hex head". AFAIK, the oil heads were in the prior 1100/1150 bikes.

I can't speak to the shift cam, but going from the 2005 hex head to the 2016 wet head was like night and day IMO (in a good way).

If you like the way the R rides, go for it. You can always fit a bigger wind screen or change the bars later if you find they aren't exactly what you want. I find that my RT is great in all but the hottest weather. When its mid 90s and over, I'd like to have a R (or other naked bike... R Nine T / S1000R / Ducati Monster) to jump on and get some air flowing at me. The R is going to weigh less than something like an RT and therefore be a bit more nimble.

With a year and a half left on the warranty you're in a good position if any issues arise as well.
Oops...my bad. Thanks now I can stop reading the Oilhead sub-form lol.

Owner of a 2020 R1250R for 7 months with 7K miles. Love the bike and the new engine and transmission are phenomenal.

TFT display is nice but the Navigation app is useless. I have Navigator 6 but in hindsight I have used my phone with Google Maps.

5'11" with 32" inseam and seating position is all day comfortable with Sargent seat.

Wind protection is decent with V-stream Sport/Touring shield.

I came off a 2016 R1200GS; prior to that had 2010 R1200R and 2000 K1200RS BMW's.
Very nice setup, even storage behind the seat it seems. Someone just sold me a used MRA screen...maybe could be used on the used 2020 r1250r if I purchase it though did just see the HR Pan America reveal. That engine seems to use a VVT that works through the entire rev range (could be wrong). Will jump to the GS sub-forum to see what GS owners think of that ride lol.

Ok, short jump there is no GS sub-form though did find a link to topic on the hd bike. Liked one comment, nice legs ugly face :)

Last edited:
Back