• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When do new models come out?

ac2020

Hi, I am looking to update to a new K1600 GTL. I dont like the 2021 colors and Ive read on some pages that the 2022 K1600s might get the new TFT display with integrated GPS etc. So I am thinking of hanging back for a 2022 - but wondering at what point in the year BMW usually introduces the next years model? Its terrible being impatient :) If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks (Im a first time poster so I hope Im in the right place to ask this question).

Hi, I am looking to update to a new K1600 GTL. I dont like the 2021 colors and Ive read on some pages that the 2022 K1600s might get the new TFT display with integrated GPS etc. So I am thinking of hanging back for a 2022 - but wondering at what point in the year BMW usually introduces the next years model? Its terrible being impatient :) If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks (Im a first time poster so I hope Im in the right place to ask this question).

Usually about September after the August shut down at the factory.

Welcome to the forum! Let us know when you spy something that makes you smile!!

Further to the prior response. Details/pricing of the coming model year are usually formally announced around the end of July, after which they accept new orders that start being built when the factory returns from their 2 week August break.

By the time I was ready to buy last summer, it was too late to order exactly what I wanted for a 2020 model year K1600 GTL. I was ready to custom order a 2021 the day after they were announced, but like you, I was rather unimpressed with the colour options. So, I grabbed one of the 2020 GTL's that remained in stock that at least had a nice colour. It didn't have the wheels or seat I wanted, but a set of BST wheels "fixed" suitably fixed the wheel situation, and I'm not too fussed about the seat, as who knows, it may get replaced with a RDL at some point - regardless of what factory seat it may have come with. I mention this, as you might be financially compelling to consider an new old stock 2020 rather than wait to 2022.

colors

As far as BMW changing colors on models in the last 20 years or more, BMW usually [most often] will change ever two years.:type

As far as BMW changing colors on models in the last 20 years or more, BMW usually [most often] will change ever two years.:type

BMW USA does colors for model years and models. At least in the past, in Germany you could order any color current that year ... meaning you could get your RT in an RS color, etc. Maybe not any more.

Thanks everyone

Hi - I am the original poster - I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I went to my local dealer well armed with your info. Thanks everyone.

The following is stated as told to me by the dealer - and I understand they have an interest in certain narratives but Im passing it on to the group for information. They told me that the German press has suggested that BMW might discontinue touring bikes like K1600GTL because they are not selling - GS's are the big movers. Does not bother me - I want one maybe even more if they might stop production. I find it hard to believe they would do that but I do know the sales of tourers are way down so as a business it makes sense. Im going to get one now - it will last 10-20 years easy and they are so good any improvements will be marginal if their attention is drawn away.

All in all everyones comments really helped me make this decision. Thanks Again.

2022 k 1600 gtl?

I received word that we can expect within the next month the announcement of the reworked (similar to the RT) K1600's 2022 version. This will include the new 10.5" display. Will be interested in the colours and the design adjustments.

D

I received word that we can expect within the next month the announcement of the reworked (similar to the RT) K1600's 2022 version. This will include the new 10.5" display. Will be interested in the colours and the design adjustments.

D

If they don't announce it for another month it will probably be a 2023.

Hi - I am the original poster - I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I went to my local dealer well armed with your info. Thanks everyone.

The following is stated as told to me by the dealer - and I understand they have an interest in certain narratives but Im passing it on to the group for information. They told me that the German press has suggested that BMW might discontinue touring bikes like K1600GTL because they are not selling - GS's are the big movers. Does not bother me - I want one maybe even more if they might stop production. I find it hard to believe they would do that but I do know the sales of tourers are way down so as a business it makes sense. Im going to get one now - it will last 10-20 years easy and they are so good any improvements will be marginal if their attention is drawn away.

All in all everyones comments really helped me make this decision. Thanks Again.

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/updates-coming-for-2022-bmw-k1600-models.html

Back