• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Accent lights on a BMW!!??

No, i am not mistakenly referring to auxiliary lighting for better visibility at night. I am talking about multi color, strobing, dancing to the music lights. You know, the ones you might see at the local bike night on a chrome Harley Road King with whitewall tires. I bought a used K1300GT last year and discovered much to my horror that it had these lights installed. They were carefully concealed everywhere and the bike looked like a carnival ride at night. It even had a remote controller so you could impress everyone with your light show. I can only assume the previous owner installed these in some sort of fit of insanity. I must have accidentally bought the only BMW motorcycle in the world with accent lights installed and it was quite the job to completely remove them. I would have thought that no one would have ever been so classless as to install these on any kind of BMW motorcycle. Now if by some miracle someone is reading this, and does have accent lights on their BMW, sorry you get no apology from me. So my question is, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is there some remote corner of the world where this is a desired accessory?

Part of the fun is making one’s own machine just like they want it....accessorizing.
Enjoy making your “new to you” bike yours.
OM

Well yeah, i'm all for making your bike "yours". Accent lights on a BMW? You can call me opinionated but that's just plain wrong.

Now i have actually installed a set of purple accent lights before. On my Ol Ladies Harley Sportster with Pearl White paint and pink plug wires with a stuffed animal behind the windshield. They were right at home on that bike.

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Get diagonal wire cutting pliers.

3. Cut all the wiring for the lights.

4. Find all wiring, relays, switches, and other debris associated with these lights and remove it all from the motorcycle.

5. Reconnect the battery.

I don’t know.... if you have an alarm, then having the lights illuminate when the alarm is triggered might increase the alarm’s effectiveness; or at least throw the thieves into uncontrollable giggles.

You can call me opinionated but that's just plain wrong.

To each his or her own.

There are some kits that will turn red under braking, and if you ride at night, any little bit helps in making you more visible.

Just because YOU think it's wrong, it's just someone else's cup of tea regardless of make/model. I don't care for big jacked-up diesel trucks. See a lot of them. I think they are a waste of metal, space, and fuel. For me. but I won't tell you not to buy one. I'd advise against it for several reasons, but I'm not going to tell you it's wrong to do so.

Well since these are not auxiliary lights you are not breaking violations (like I am with my four additional lights). :laugh

Consider turning lemons into lemonade. :dunno

Overall, I see it as a win, win. No one sees the lights in the daytime and therefore there is no shame for you or your BMW. But at night, when most of us are in stealth mode, you will be far more visible making drivers more aware of your presence on the road, hence increasing your nighttime safety. :thumb

And to top this off, you did not have to buy these or take the time to install the lights. :dance

I'm voting that you keep these. :gerg

I would guess the previous owner was a bit younger than you (or 99% of us here), but we need younger riders riding something other than Crotch rockets or our dealer network will dry up faster than it is now.

I've seen lots of truckers with these lights. I gather you buck that trend too.

The great thing about bikes is you get to ride your own ride. Whatever spins your tires.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Oh the lights are already gone. You guys just don't understand what kind of lights these were. They were bad, i mean really bad multicolored LED strip lights. They were the kind of lights that might be seen on an inner city Hayabusa with an extended swingarm, custom purple metalflake paint and extra chrome. They were what we Harley riders call RUB lights. We even make fun of other Harleys that have those lights on them. There is no way anyone is ever going to convince me they belong on any kind of BMW.

Oh the lights are already gone. You guys just don't understand what kind of lights these were. They were bad, i mean really bad multicolored LED strip lights. They were the kind of lights that might be seen on an inner city Hayabusa with an extended swingarm, custom purple metalflake paint and extra chrome. They were what we Harley riders call RUB lights. We even make fun of other Harleys that have those lights on them. There is no way anyone is ever going to convince me they belong on any kind of BMW.

👍👍👍

:wave :laugh:lol:laugh :wave

truckerdave, do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZGCKBL

I installed that kit on my R1150RT because my wife, who is very concerned about my safety while riding, convinced me that I was nearly invisible to other motorists while riding at night. These are for visibility, not for show. I have them connected so that when I hit the brakes all the lights turn red. Normally they shine green; no blink, no flash, no changing colors.

I could really not care less about your opinion of me for choosing to adorn my BMW with these. I'm posting this simply hoping that I can encourage someone else who is thinking about doing something for his riding safety to NOT be negatively influenced by petty and narrow-minded ... um, individuals.

Ride your own ride.

Oh the lights are already gone.

We can all be thankful for your good taste and the fact that the previous owner divested himself of the rolling clown bike.

For those of you who think these lights may have been a good idea - you're wrong.

Other opinionated statements available upon request.

:D

We can all be thankful for your good taste and the fact that the previous owner divested himself of the rolling clown bike.

For those of you who think these lights may have been a good idea - you're wrong.

Other opinionated statements available upon request.

:D

You can get a kit for your S1000RR for not much money:

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.41.34 PM.png

Back