• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS footpeg bracket types.

mcmlcccvrs

Would someone be able to tell me if this style of foot peg bracket...........

aSaVct.jpg

is a bolt-on replacement for this style of bracket? I think it is. I am not concerned with the difference in exhaust mounting.

iQT6Tp.jpg

It looks to me that the three mounting holes are in different positions, so I would say no.

Got it! But I'm left wondering if the holes in the rigidly mounted bracket are the same center-to-center dimensions as the rubber mount style, but the larger holes in the latter give the illusion of being in different positions. After all they do mount to the transmission, so a change in bracket mounting hole dimensions would mean a different trans casing.

Tom

The '85 peg plates are rubber mounted both at the tranny and the exhaust mount. That is shown in the photos of your two plates.

I've always thought that the trannys were all the same pattern.
The only difference shown in the parts fiche is silver housing or black housing. K75s had a lower 5th gear.

:dance:dance:dance

The first picture is off a later one, 86 & up, as that is the same type my 86 has. The bottom picture is a plate off of the early K100's as they rubber mounted them. If you had the rubber mounts for the one in the bottom picture is should work, as the mounting points on the transmission didn't change. The big issue with the older rubber mounted one's was that the bolts would bend if you put too much pressure on the footpeg.

As to the exhaust part either one might work, its just that you need the specific mounts for each, and you'd have to match each one up with the muffler you are going to use.

The first picture is off a later one, 86 & up, as that is the same type my 86 has. The bottom picture is a plate off of the early K100's as they rubber mounted them. If you had the rubber mounts for the one in the bottom picture is should work, as the mounting points on the transmission didn't change. The big issue with the older rubber mounted one's was that the bolts would bend if you put too much pressure on the footpeg.

As to the exhaust part either one might work, its just that you need the specific mounts for each, and you'd have to match each one up with the muffler you are going to use.

Absolutely, cycleman2. The whole point behind this post was my efforts to figure out what I needed to mount my Remus exhaust to my 1985 K100RS which has the early style exhaust as it is an 03/1985 build. BMW changed the exhaust and mounting commencing 09/1985. Remus developed their K100 exhaust in 1986. These two factors led to the Remus not fitting my bike. And by not fitting I mean how it mounts. It was one of those, I didn't know what I didn't know situations.

So, I got an 18 21 1454982 exhaust rubber mount but the Remus still wasn't correctly positioned. I believe that the later style footrest bracket in conjunction with the rubber mount allows the exhaust to sit closer to the rear wheel, which ultimately is what is required for the center stand to contact the rubber bumper correctly (which it doesn't at all at the moment) and for the exhaust to be parallel (or very close to it) to the centerline of the bike. To this end, I picked up a good used set of 1987 K100LT footrest brackets/footrests as they are the same part number for the RS. The left hand one being for non-ABS.

If you are willing, cycleman2, I would appreciate photos of your exhaust mounting.

When I go to Bobs BMW microfiche I see that there are a couple of different rubber pieces and the plates themselves changed sometime in 1988, but the mounting holes on the plates appear to be in the same location for the muffler. My left side plate is identical to your first picture, my bike is a bone stock 86 K100RT, with the factory muffler & side cases. So the second plate in your picture must be off a very early model as the rubber mounts are part of the plate themselves.

On the first plate in your picture that rubber mount you have goes in from the back of the peg bracket and the mount on the muffler fits between it and the peg bracket, then the bolts go in from the front and the nuts are on the back. In other words the muffler mount is sandwiched between the rubber mount and the peg. I find that in remounting the muffler to the headers, you don't want to tighten the clamps at the front of the muffler until you have the rear mount in place. Then tighten the muffler clamps. That allows you some front to back movement to alighn the rear muffler mount.

If the above doesn't make sense then send me a PM with your email and I'll try and get a picture.

Back