• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT ABS Issue

tsconver

Hooligan
Have a brake failure message on the screen. Looks like it is probably the abs module. What can I expect to pay for the module? Hard to find prices on the web. How much to install it if I decide not to do it myself.

I just repaired my ABS 2 on my 2010 RT. Not a difficult job to remove and reinstall. Maybe 3 hours total. The Tupperware and fuel tank have to be removed. I sent mine off to Module Masters. Shipping back and forth was the slowest part. Y bike was down for 3 weeks in total. Once back, install, bled the brakes, cycled the ABS pump with my GS911, bled once more, and rode on. No issues and no more fault codes. Cost $250 and my time. I’ve heard if you take it to a BMW dealer it is around $1k. Videos in the tech section of this forum are a big help. Here is the Module Masters link https://superactionhero.myshopify.c...q=my_motorcycle~yr_2011~mk_bmw~md_r1200rt-k26

Is it safe to ride with that failure? Are brakes normal just no anti lock or are they reduced in performance? I have read they loose performance in limp mode.

Hydraulic action should not change with the ABS circuits and valves disabled. If a dump valve was leaking or stuck open causing your issue, that would greatly reduce braking but you would know it already.

Is it safe to ride with that failure? Are brakes normal just no anti lock or are they reduced in performance? I have read they loose performance in limp mode.

When the ABS fails the brake are the same as conventional brakes. You can lock up the front wheel if you grab a handful so be mindful. Us old timers grew up on threshold braking.

When the ABS fails the brake are the same as conventional brakes. You can lock up the front wheel if you grab a handful so be mindful. Us old timers grew up on threshold braking.

All my previous and current bikes are non abs so I know all about threshold.

So the ABS module was a low voltage error and once I cleared it, it did not come back. The only code is 10491 which seems to be the EWS Ring Antenna.

Back