• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nascar 2021

They canceled the Truck Race last night due to “track conditions”. Looks like the Nashville area took a hit.
OM

Watching the racing that is still in progress. The commentator told a story about Dale Earnhardt Sr. cleaning his windshield by undoing his seat belt, sitting on the lower edge of the window frame, driving with his right hand and cleaning the windshield with his left hand. I checked and it is true..... except he drove with his knee:

Been a good race. Quite a bit of technical information on everything from the track build to the bias-ply tires. :thumb
OM

Is Bristol going to stay a dirt track or back to pavement?

Back to pavement is my guess, based upon the experience NASCAR had in trying to deal with the high banking, the degree of success (financially and with fan appeal) they had with this race, and the dissension between track owners, NASCAR, and car owners over which venues should be used for dirt track events. There are reasons why SCCA does so well with road tracks and why MC flat track and Sprint Cars have a limited amount of banking on their best venues.

Best,
DeVern

The announcement yesterday was that it will be dirt next spring. :dunno
OM

Seems like a hellova waste of resources (2500 truckloads of dirt in...and then another 2500 truckloads out) when there are already existing dirt tracks willing to have a race. :dunno

Seems like a hellova waste of resources (2500 truckloads of dirt in...and then another 2500 truckloads out) when there are already existing dirt tracks willing to have a race. :dunno

Call ‘em up and yell at them.......let ‘em know they have no idea what they are doing :dunno

OM

This racetrack is unique and used to be the hardest to secure tickets to. The owners have done some wild to imagine things to bring in folks. H and I, among maybe two dozen other Johnson City MOA Rally attendees paid to do hot laps for a reasonable price, the profits going to local charities. The pace car would go as fast as the slowest bike. We avoided the group with backfiring F650 :laugh

75655111-2009-4D2F-AAFF-81B14DD327B0.jpeg
The grin on her face after five fast as you can go laps as she entered pit lane says it all... “ let’s do it again!!”

Then there was this:

My take in this part of TN is it creates a lot of needed jobs and no local short track can create the same environment. Coal country and Appalachia’s struggling economy is right there.

Maybe it needed new pavement to begin with.

The pavement is concrete now and a thick layer of sawdust is between concrete and overlay.

Watching the Astrodomes concrete floor prepped for baseball, football, rodeo, motorcycle races, and such year after year made this type of change a no big deal. I’m sure many of the behemoth multi sport stadiums still do this as well. The NRG Texans stadium that replaced the dome may still be using the pallet system of rotating grass fields, though it has been a source of injuries and lawsuits

The night race at Bristol was known a few years ago as the most difficult sports event ticket to get; even harder than a Packers game or the Super Bowl. The stadium will seat over 160,000 people and the crowd noise drowns out the noise from the cars. NASCAR is trying to attract a younger and more diverse audience and this race is a part of that effort.

As a teenager we lived 150 miles away and went to Bristol for the drag races in Thunder Alley. Worse places to live if you like loud motor sports.

Today’s race is at The Echo Park in Texas- Circuit of the Americas. The pre-race show had quite a tour of the facility. Looks like quite a place.
Oh yeah, it is being run mostly in the rain.
OM

Flat Track
ON NBCSN (Not sure what time zone the list uses). (These are generally shown a week after the race was run)

Sunday, May 2 – Atlanta Super TT – 10:30 p.m.

Saturday, May 29 – Texas Half-Mile – 8 p.m.

Sunday, June 6 – Chicago Half-Mile – 5 p.m.

Saturday, June 26 – OKC Mile I – Noon

Saturday, June 26 – OKC Mile II – 1 p.m.

Saturday, July 3 – Lima Half-Mile – 5 p.m.

Sunday, August 8 – DuQuoin Mile – 11 p.m.

Sunday, August 15 – Port Royal Half-Mile – 10 p.m.

Sunday, August 22 – New York Short Track – 9:30 p.m.

Sunday, August 29 – Peoria TT – 8 p.m.

Sunday, September 12 – Springfield Mile I – 9 p.m.

Sunday, September 12 – Springfield Mile II – 10 p.m.

Sunday, September 26 – TBA Round 15 – 11 p.m.

Sunday, September 26 – TBA Round 16 – Midnight

Kevin,

Thanks for the heads up! It is listed as American Flat Track on Comcasts guide.

For some reason it wouldn't take the record request unless I selected "new AND REPEAT episodes". Maybe these are not this years races or because they are shown a week after the event (although it doesn't matter to me). :dunno

Times on your list are Eastern.

:dance:dance:dance

Back