Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nascar 2021

Nascar coverage needs more commercials. Good night.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Destruction Derby!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    turn left
    Turn left is half of it.
    Haul ass turn left, haul ass turn left, haul ass turn left; was that four times. Nope; ok, haul ass turn left.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Watching the replay now on FS1. As for “destruction derby”, kinda looked like DD in Texas and Tennessee....at highway speed
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Well- I didn't get back after the rain/demo delay but actually enjoyed what little i saw. I'll watch the next one too. There is a professional sports production template that I alternately find offensive and annoying but the event itself (if it's even possible to separate from the production and insipid talk) was kinda fun. I'll be back. Thanks for the heads-up as well as a few insights...

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Well- I didn't get back after the rain/demo delay but actually enjoyed what little i saw. I'll watch the next one too. There is a professional sports production template that I alternately find offensive and annoying but the event itself (if it's even possible to separate from the production and insipid talk) was kinda fun. I'll be back. Thanks for the heads-up as well as a few insights...
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    The “color commentators” are sorta universal throughout Sports- except for my Buddy Brockmire
    An amazing amount of telemetry, cable cameras, drone footage and broadcast cameras are integrated into a production that can put the spectator directly into the action.
    Looks like a lot of changes are in store for the races this year including running Bristol on dirt.
    It seems NASCAR is doing/changing/adapting to further the enjoyment of the fans.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I will still watch, but not live.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

Some commentary is welcome. But I certainly wish the people didn't think they had to be talking every passing second. They sound like they are getting paid by the word.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Looking forward to next generation cars. Carbon fiber, independent rear suspension, more road races, or, has this already happened? AFAIK they’re still running solid rear axles. Not to mention six speed sequential gear boxes. More and more it’s gonna change to the Aussie sedan racing, which is exciting. All the decades of NASCAR team data will be out the preverbal window. Deep sixed. Bye bye. And paleese, forget about electric engines, sheeese. We can play with our slot car tracks at home.

A mix of oval and road is the best of both. Watching the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona can be incredibly boring. Similar to Le Mans. NASCAR ain’t sittin still.

IMO they need to shorten up their events. What do 500 miles prove?
    Events should be run on a time schedule, two hours, and wave the checkered flag.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    Events should be run on a time schedule, two hours, and wave the checkered flag.
    That's a great idea.

Also, do away with the moronic fans gathering behind 4 commentators before the race or during rain delays. Not sure what purpose that serves and it takes away from what they have to say. I'll also say that the same thing about football and hockey "shows" during the game. Sorry about the mini-rant.

Part of this is who can build the best car that will survive 8,000 rpm’s for 500 miles. Picture what is going on in the valve-train at 8K.
    Of course you could always record it and watch it in FF>
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    That's a great idea.

Also, do away with the moronic fans gathering behind 4 commentators before the race or during rain delays. Not sure what purpose that serves and it takes away from what they have to say. I'll also say that the same thing about football and hockey "shows" during the game. Sorry about the mini-rant.
    You could write them a letter and let them know that they are doing it all wrong
    Pretty big fan base. You may want to start with one of the smaller spectator sports first.....like practice laps.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

You could write them a letter and let them know that they are doing it all wrong
    Pretty big fan base.
    1. In writing that letter I'd have to limit myself to using only two-syllable words.

2. As I'm sure you're aware, it used to be a much larger fan base. Not sure why they lost so many however NASCAR must recognize it as they're making changes to try to regain what they once had.

I used to be a big fan but started to lose interest when the V8 Camry made an appearance. I went down to the dealer on Monday to place an order for one but they just laughed at me. OK fine, I didn't.

Having said all that, I LOVE the sound of those motors at full chat. And F1 sucks.

The whole point back in the day was the cars were bodies and manufactures you could relate to. Now they are purely custom built race cars with head light decals. Put all that safety equipment in the cars that are actually being made and YeHaw lets race. Big blocks were nice also.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

3 Red Bricks
    The AVERAGE NFL game takes around 3 1/4 hours. During that time there only around 11 MINUTES of actual play between the snap and the whistle. Maybe the NFL should be limited to 30 minutes

IF there would ever be another super speedway race without a major crash or rain delay, the 500 miles would be over in over in 2 hours and 39 min. from flag to flag (Mark Martin Talladega 1997) with 100% of that time being actual competition time.

Watkins Glen had a Cup race that only lasted 2 hours and 7 minutes acouple years ago(no cautions). I'm sure the people in attendance wished it had lasted longer! I know I wanted more watching it on TV (not more cautions, just more great racing).

One thing you must consider is the attending fans. They pay hundreds of dollars ( NASCAR, NFL, NBA, MLB) for their tickets, food, transportation, and lodging. They don't want it to be over before they can finish their hot dog and a beer.

I would imagine that if Indy cars ran the Indianapolis 250 on Memorial day weekend, it wouldn't be well received.

Complaining about commercials (the people that pay so that you can watch for free)? DVR the race and fast forward the parts you don't want to watch.

Or you could always watch golf to satisfy your adrenaline needs.

My suggestion for improving NASCAR; do away with "The Chute" at Sears Point (Sonoma) and send them through the Carousel, like they did the first several years. They changed that so that "the cars would come by the fans more often (shorter lap, more laps), but they eliminated one of the best passing opportunities on the track (there were only two really good ones) and made the race less competative. Passing opportunities makes better racing.

Last edited by 98lee; 02-15-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare