• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nascar 2021

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
The NASCAR season starts off today with the Daytona 500.

COM_DriverHero_3-625x340.jpg

NASCAR has done a good job of bringing organized sports entertainment back in this time of the virus. While the actual fan count in the stands will be down, the safety protocols will be up.
From what I gather, there are a number of changes in the AERO packages, still the run around the track will be at 195 mph plus.

For complete NASCAR information- https://www.nascar.com

Enjoy the technology.....Enjoy the race.

If you are a NASCAR hater, it's ok to skip posting in this thread TIA.

OM

Hmmmm never watched before- maybe I'll take a look- sumpton different. Any "hints" to make first time watching more enjoyable...I KNOW there's more to watching a race than hoping to see a fiery crash. Background? nuances? Thanks for the heads up.

Hmmmm never watched before- maybe I'll take a look- sumpton different. Any "hints" to make first time watching more enjoyable...I KNOW there's more to watching a race than hoping to see a fiery crash. Background? nuances? Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes it's just round and round.......I like the technology that is involved.

Ryan Newman had a crash that, due to the safety engineering, he survived-

This type of engineering work, whether it's at the machining centers making precise parts on a repeatable process or the chassie shops when they build the cars, has a positive trickle down effect to the motorsports industry. An example would be the expectations of what motorcycle "crash" bars are actually supposed to do. Crash bars have to, or should be, designed to absorb a horizontal event to save the cylinder heads (Boxer) at the expense of the bars themselves. The hit a NASCAR vehicle will take and spare the driver is superb.

You can watch for pit action, the spotter instructions, the segments on the specialty cutaway cars for the precise information that allows these cars to pass the 200mph mark. The Xfinity series and the Truck series can also be a good take.

Enjoy.

OM

Actually adding more road courses, they are coming here to Circuit of the Americas soon.

If one likes to see big sedans slide around corners, go and see a NASCAR race at a road course. I saw one at Watkins Glen and it was interesting, to say the least. As well, you find out really quickly who can turn both left AND right and who can use their brakes.

If one likes to see big sedans slide around corners, go and see a NASCAR race at a road course. I saw one at Watkins Glen and it was interesting, to say the least. As well, you find out really quickly who can turn both left AND right and who can use their brakes.

Watching brake rotors turn red hot and still have functioning stopping abilities is a wonder. Completely passes anything I know about brake fade :eek
OM

Watching brake rotors turn red hot and still have functioning stopping abilities is a wonder. Completely passes anything I know about brake fade :eek
OM

They still use drum brakes on the ovals, right? :) :bolt

MotoGP runs a night race in Qatar to start the season. Glowing brake discs coming down from 330 km/h have been a fixture going into Turn 1.

The younger drivers and combo Rovals such as Charlotte and Daytona make it a little more interesting than sedan cruising. Come off fast high banking and here’s your left turn.
The first visit to F1 track in Austin with its hill climb from start kinda blind very tight left turn one should be interesting for the NASCAR group. The F1 lads took a few trips before they stopped missing it or banging wheels

Back in the day...the old school fellas hated road courses, these young guys got it figured out. Some of these guys do well at Rolex 24 BTW :whistle

For those interested in an in-depth story of the Ryan Newman survival story that explains how the sport has developed the safest cars possible-

"But Newman sees that car all the time. The mangled white, black and blue remains of the No. 6 Ford sit in a barn on his sprawling property in Statesville, North Carolina. If close friends or family ask to see it, he'll show it to them, though he doesn't allow photos. He doesn't want it to become a tourist attraction. He wants it to be an educational tool".

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/...-daytona-500-safety-changes-saved-ryan-newman

OM

Back in the day...the old school fellas hated road courses, these young guys got it figured out. Some of these guys do well at Rolex 24 BTW :whistle

I know that more than a few of the IndyCar drivers ended up in NASCAR.

Does anyone recall the old International Race Of Champions - IROC ? A bunch of identically prepared Camaros. Throw in a few NASACAR, SCCA, IMSA and IndyCar drivers and let them have at it. NASCAR boys won on the ovals. Donahue, Foyt and Unsers (A, B and Jr) cleaned up on the road courses. Back then I don't think the NASCAR drivers, with a couple of notable exceptions, even knew the steering wheel turned right. :D

Any relationship between a NASCAR vehicle and what you buy over at the local dealer is purely coincidental.

Slight drift...
talking about IROC being reimagined

https://racer.com/2020/09/17/insigh...s-right-for-a-modern-reimagining-of-iroc/amp/

And recall early races with pastel colored cars. Fun mix of talent

Currently trying to catch up on recordings, watched America’s’ Cup four sailing races, now watching Busch Clash from Thursday maybe on the Daytona Road course and rusty teams and drivers
Recording the 500 to watch later so I can move it along at my pace.
Kinda chilly to be outside!

Any relationship between a NASCAR vehicle and what you buy over at the local dealer is purely coincidental.

Not close except grille and rear bumper design which are more decal than structure... don’t see Mustangs or Camaros, or Supras

Now if you go back to those old days...

I know that more than a few of the IndyCar drivers ended up in NASCAR.

Does anyone recall the old International Race Of Champions - IROC ? A bunch of identically prepared Camaros. Throw in a few NASACAR, SCCA, IMSA and IndyCar drivers and let them have at it. NASCAR boys won on the ovals. Donahue, Foyt and Unsers (A, B and Jr) cleaned up on the road courses. Back then I don't think the NASCAR drivers, with a couple of notable exceptions, even knew the steering wheel turned right. :D

1974 The first year was Porsche Carrera RSRs.

Not close except grille and rear bumper design which are more decal than structure... don’t see Mustangs or Camaros, or Supras

Now if you go back to those old days...

Pretty sure there are Mustangs and Camaros in today’s race. Pretty sure there is a relationship to dealer lot cars. I think it went something like “Win on Sunday, sell on Monday”. The sales supported the sport in the early days.
OM

Back