Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nascar 2021

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Nascar 2021

The NASCAR season starts off today with the Daytona 500.

NASCAR has done a good job of bringing organized sports entertainment back in this time of the virus. While the actual fan count in the stands will be down, the safety protocols will be up.
    From what I gather, there are a number of changes in the AERO packages, still the run around the track will be at 195 mph plus.

For complete NASCAR information- https://www.nascar.com

Enjoy the technology.....Enjoy the race.

If you are a NASCAR hater, it's ok to skip posting in this thread TIA.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hmmmm never watched before- maybe I'll take a look- sumpton different. Any "hints" to make first time watching more enjoyable...I KNOW there's more to watching a race than hoping to see a fiery crash. Background? nuances? Thanks for the heads up.

turn left
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Hmmmm never watched before- maybe I'll take a look- sumpton different. Any "hints" to make first time watching more enjoyable...I KNOW there's more to watching a race than hoping to see a fiery crash. Background? nuances? Thanks for the heads up.
    Sometimes it's just round and round.......I like the technology that is involved.

Ryan Newman had a crash that, due to the safety engineering, he survived-

This type of engineering work, whether it's at the machining centers making precise parts on a repeatable process or the chassie shops when they build the cars, has a positive trickle down effect to the motorsports industry. An example would be the expectations of what motorcycle "crash" bars are actually supposed to do. Crash bars have to, or should be, designed to absorb a horizontal event to save the cylinder heads (Boxer) at the expense of the bars themselves. The hit a NASCAR vehicle will take and spare the driver is superb.

You can watch for pit action, the spotter instructions, the segments on the specialty cutaway cars for the precise information that allows these cars to pass the 200mph mark. The Xfinity series and the Truck series can also be a good take.

Enjoy.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    turn left
    There will be 7 road courses this year plus one dirt track, so they will be turning right ALOT!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    turn left
    Actually adding more road courses, they are coming here to Circuit of the Americas soon.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Actually adding more road courses, they are coming here to Circuit of the Americas soon.
    If one likes to see big sedans slide around corners, go and see a NASCAR race at a road course. I saw one at Watkins Glen and it was interesting, to say the least. As well, you find out really quickly who can turn both left AND right and who can use their brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    If one likes to see big sedans slide around corners, go and see a NASCAR race at a road course. I saw one at Watkins Glen and it was interesting, to say the least. As well, you find out really quickly who can turn both left AND right and who can use their brakes.
    Watching brake rotors turn red hot and still have functioning stopping abilities is a wonder. Completely passes anything I know about brake fade
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Watching brake rotors turn red hot and still have functioning stopping abilities is a wonder. Completely passes anything I know about brake fade
    OM
    They still use drum brakes on the ovals, right?

MotoGP runs a night race in Qatar to start the season. Glowing brake discs coming down from 330 km/h have been a fixture going into Turn 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    The younger drivers and combo Rovals such as Charlotte and Daytona make it a little more interesting than sedan cruising. Come off fast high banking and here’s your left turn.
    The first visit to F1 track in Austin with its hill climb from start kinda blind very tight left turn one should be interesting for the NASCAR group. The F1 lads took a few trips before they stopped missing it or banging wheels

Back in the day...the old school fellas hated road courses, these young guys got it figured out. Some of these guys do well at Rolex 24 BTW

For those interested in an in-depth story of the Ryan Newman survival story that explains how the sport has developed the safest cars possible-

"But Newman sees that car all the time. The mangled white, black and blue remains of the No. 6 Ford sit in a barn on his sprawling property in Statesville, North Carolina. If close friends or family ask to see it, he'll show it to them, though he doesn't allow photos. He doesn't want it to become a tourist attraction. He wants it to be an educational tool".

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...ed-ryan-newman

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Plus F-16 Thunderbird flyover!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Back in the day...the old school fellas hated road courses, these young guys got it figured out. Some of these guys do well at Rolex 24 BTW
    I know that more than a few of the IndyCar drivers ended up in NASCAR.

Does anyone recall the old International Race Of Champions - IROC ? A bunch of identically prepared Camaros. Throw in a few NASACAR, SCCA, IMSA and IndyCar drivers and let them have at it. NASCAR boys won on the ovals. Donahue, Foyt and Unsers (A, B and Jr) cleaned up on the road courses. Back then I don't think the NASCAR drivers, with a couple of notable exceptions, even knew the steering wheel turned right.

Any relationship between a NASCAR vehicle and what you buy over at the local dealer is purely coincidental.
    Boxerbruce

Slight drift...
    talking about IROC being reimagined

https://racer.com/2020/09/17/insight...g-of-iroc/amp/

And recall early races with pastel colored cars. Fun mix of talent

Currently trying to catch up on recordings, watched America’s’ Cup four sailing races, now watching Busch Clash from Thursday maybe on the Daytona Road course and rusty teams and drivers
    Recording the 500 to watch later so I can move it along at my pace.
    Kinda chilly to be outside!