• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Virgin. 2020 RT

How much was it. I could not remember what we paid.

A chipped key [ 51 25 8540950 Vehicle key (code)] runs $98.
A non-chipped key for unlocking seat or luggage [ 51 25 7688674 Key without transponder by code] runs $38.

If you have the key code that came with the bike, there is always this option. Have never used it, but it’s out there.

Lastly, if you can find a locksmith who can get the following blanks they are usually able to cut a non-chipped key:
BW9EHP
BW9FH
BW9MH
BW9TE

However, even my best local locksmith has been unable to get those blanks. ☹️

Best,
DeVern

So, once again on a message board I have to ask: What advantage does the keyless fob offer? To me they are a problem waiting to happen. Now, Ill be the first to say that is true of many of the electronic stuff on our bikes, but most offer something of reasonable value in return.

So, once again on a message board I have to ask: What advantage does the keyless fob offer? To me they are a problem waiting to happen. Now, Ill be the first to say that is true of many of the electronic stuff on our bikes, but most offer something of reasonable value in return.
I find that the main value is convenience. I recall many times being suited up and forgetting to get my key out of the pocket and having to remove my gloves and dig into my difficult to reach into pockets. Have not had any issues with keyless rides since 2013. I recall I broke a key in my gas cap during Morganton, NC rally many years ago. I guess both types of keys can have "issues".

It is a convenience. Walk up to the bike, hop on hit the button and ride away. Lock and unlock paniers and top case with the touch of a button. Walk away and the alarm sets. Walk back to the bike and the alarm disarms.
I have been running bikes with fobs for over ten years and really like it.
With today's electronics I don't worry about it. The technology is used in automotive to so it has been well tested.

So, once again on a message board I have to ask: What advantage does the keyless fob offer? .

On the R1200RS there's not much of a advantage because it only runs the ignition on that model.
My wife likes that she does not have to dig for a key every time she gets on the bike.
As Poorub mentioned it has more functions on the K1600 and boxer RT.

When we trade for the next RSs I'll check to see if we can order the bikes without keyless.
My problem is I want all the other options.

As others have said, buy a non chipped key from dealer, a bit of a hassle (you have to order in person, bikes registration and DL)arrived from Berlin 2 weeks later. I taped the flip out key closed, would hate to break Fob!!
FYI: don’t skimp on batteries, I used a no name Chinese battery from Amazon, lasted 2 months, Panasonic seems to last forever, second issue I’ve had is some Mobile gas stations have FAST PASS electronic pumps, they on occasion interfere with keyless start(need to push bike away from pump)

It's been a few years, so time to resurrect my "Flung Fob" mishap"

I thought I had it all figured out...
...but now I'm a couple hundred bucks reinvested and not so sure! Riding a 15' R12 GS with TourTech panniers and Givi top-box.
I use a cable combo-lock for jacket & helmet security when walking around with the bike loaded while touring, and that's worked well enough.
I have the BMW actual "hard key", made by my dealer, and this I have on a carabiner along with the box & pan keys for frequent use on the bikes locking points.
I keep the plastic emergency backup and a "spare" for the pans & box on a carabiner, taped together and well tucked away... all good.

But Key Fob utilization & management can sure have potential issues.

I learned some of that coming south on the Ice-fields Parkway, en-route to the 2017 Salt Lake MOA rally.
The BMW Fob... I normally wear on a lanyard all by itself around my neck. No mis-placing or losing this thing on a big trip.

But while packing camp that morning I tucked the lanyard/fob into the outer chest pocket of my riding jacket.
Mount up, tap the ignition button and watch the technology. No old key to insert or haggle with, wonderful... start and ride.
Just south of Jasper, I come over a rise onto a long straight, beautiful day, a magnificent view.
I reach across my chest to adjust a zipper for airflow, wherein my jacket's wrist cuff velcro... "snached" the lanyard cord that had partially escaped the open pocket.
As my hand returned to the grip, this action promptly separated the BMW Fob away from its rightful owner!
I was informed of this as I felt the tug on my sleeve, and a thud noise across the tank...
along with a reflection of something in the mirror spinning & tumbling on the road...behind the previously savvy BMW Rider.
The flashing red icon on the handsome GS instrument cluster... verified my misery was in full progress.
My initial thought, just after "what the hell was that"... how am I going to find that in this grass!
In the distant mirror view it appeared to stop, remaining on the road. Uh-Oh!
Heavy braking ensued, after a quick U turn I charge back, spotting the valued team member... just as a line of on-coming traffic crests the hill.
I get stopped alongside in the opposite side grass just before the vehicles parade by, pointing in a helpless manner toward the Fob.
In short order, it was tire clipped and danced onto the roadway edge; many folks at least waved as they passed.

A couple thousand miles from home, a lot of bad thoughts run through your mind when your Fob has exited the journey.
Partially smashed and mangled and a very bent key... but with the pieces held gently together, a remarkable and unexpected discovery:
at the still idling bike, the Key Proximity icon ceased flashing as I lowered the remains into the tank bag!
That evening I taped up the components just as they lay in the bag and finished my trip into Salt Lake, with only a few delayed starts that required gentle movement of the taped bundle, likely battery related contact, as I had the battery icon display intermittently.
The dealership in Calgary would have needed two weeks minimum for a new Fob, but Salt Lake BMW could have me leaving the MOA Rally with a replacement...
after jumping through some hoops and coordination with my dealer.

The moral of my story: Use your pre-ride checklist especially as pertaining to Fobs & Zippers.

"travel'n" john

So ya could go to the expense of 2 fobs, one around the neck and one on the bike, but if the bike was broken "into" the bike could be gone. If you have 2 fobs could the bike be (confused)? .I think I am;). The road Gods were with you.
I had a similar experience with an iPhone on a very busy truck infested Interstate , did a turn and started in the berm looking at 5mph. It was spring and the berm was covered in old debris so after a couple of miles and seeing the local gendarme coming I left and went to the largest city and Best Buy. I realize that same day Fobbing would be impossible at a dealer .

So here is a question. If you are in dire straights, and you have a willing dealer, can they take a fob from another bike and program it for yours if you are in a jam? And does anyone use a rubber case for their fob like we have for cell phones? I used a Tile chip on my keys in case i needed to find them. I just have to remember to pay the fee for renewal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When working on both bikes I can have both fobs on me and the bikes don't get confused.

I wouldn't expect fobs from different bikes to interfere with each other, but I am concerned when I carry both fobs for my bike with me. In that case I remove the battery from the spare and store it away from the bike's sensor under the rear seat.

Annie and I both had a problem with interference when we switched from Sena to PackTalk Bold communicators. At that time we both wore our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. Soon after the switch to the PackTalks I began getting an intermittent alert on my dash indicating the bike was no longer in contact with the fob. It would sometimes persist for quite a long time and the bike would not start unless I put the fob near the sensor by placing it under the reat fender. With Jesse Bags this made starting a two person job. After several new batteries, repairing the fob and a trip to the dealer the problem persisted. Annie had the same problem but to a much smaller degree in both how often it occurred and for how long. We were in Colorado when it occured to Annie that the PackTalks may be the cause of the problem. We both moved the fobs to our right side pants pocket and the problem has never repeated itself. And, thanks for the tip on the lanyard making materials. I ordered some and I am now a lanyard making machine.

I ordered some and I am now a lanyard making machine.

A friend told me about the plastic hooks when he made a cord for the front of his small BMW soft rack bag to hold his gloves while off the bike, especially on windy days.

Back