• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Virgin. 2020 RT

The motorcycle will come with an emergency key. You can buy and extra fob too, but be sitting down when they tell you the price!

You will receive a spare plastic key. Ensure your dealer shows you how to use it to trigger the keyless system; it's easy.

I carry a spare C2032 battery to replace the fob's, should it fail. You'll get a warning on the dash when it gets down to 50%.

Good luck.

Our fobs stay tethered in our pants pocket.
Use a metal key for seat and GPS.

Klim.jpg

Metal blanks are available on eBay for about $10 - my neighborhood hardware cut a good working key duplicating my fob. Or, order a cut key from the dealer based on your VIN.

Get in the habit of folding the key into the fob and securing after use, it doesn’t take much effort to snap them in two. Don’t ask...

+1 about sitting down when finding out the price of a replacement.

Our fobs stay tethered in our pants pocket.
Use a metal key for seat and GPS.

View attachment 82351

Hi Lee:

Where did you get the Mouse? (Wire attachment from the key fob ring to the zipper pull). Nice insurance, as I get older I'm increasing my insurance to make up for "senior moments".

Post may be old but hope you get this,

Scott

samson_scott-shred.jpg

I tether my fob to my riding pants as well. No riding pants, no ride!

I think the flip-out key is stupid, I agree the joint is weak. I'm tempted to superglue it in the closed position to keep it in place, but a rubber band does the job, too. It's really handy to have a non-chip key to remove seat & panniers, when the cylinders get road grime in them they get hard to turn.

Hi Lee:

Where did you get the Mouse? (Wire attachment from the key fob ring to the zipper pull). Nice insurance, as I get older I'm increasing my insurance to make up for "senior moments".

Post may be old but hope you get this,

Scott

View attachment 82362

I made it. 1/8" paracord (like you find in tent poles) and plastic hooks. Both from Amazon.
I've had very limited internet service the last couple days so I may not be able to provide links.

I there different fobs?
I shopped around and paid over $400 for a fob for my 2018 RT. I could have paid a bit less, but it wasn't enough to deal with.

Pretty sure a couple years ago they were over $400 at the dealer and just under $400 at the discount online places. I might be wrong.

Back