• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT - proebeemer.nl Float Conversion DIY Discussion

Using later model senders?

As I understand it, a switch was made to float senders in the 2010 model year. Have you heard anything about using these senders on previous models?

I don't believe the earlier wiring harnesses can be modified correctly to get the float signals to the ZFE properly. This is the function of the proebeemer.nl FC2 module.

Modified fuel strips are now available

There is a new version of the fuel strip available now and many have been installed but it is still too soon to tell if the problem has been corrected. We can only hope for now.

Last edited:
Another third party fix

I just ran across this fix on BMWSportTouring which is cheaper than BMW's latest greatest model for those that are interested.

https://www.fuelsensortech.com/en

And here is a video discussing the install

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e8y8yz9nnHQ" title="Is BMW Fuel Level Strip Finally Fixed For Good?" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Seeing the above video prompted me to order the aftermarket strip, waiting for delivery. Is heat shrink tubing gasoline (ethanol) proof resistant? Can't find answers to that question.

I just ran across this fix on BMWSportTouring which is cheaper than BMW's latest greatest model for those that are interested.

And here is a video discussing the install

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e8y8yz9nnHQ" title="Is BMW Fuel Level Strip Finally Fixed For Good?" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
See my info below regarding this previously posted to the FB group.

I wanted to give a quick review for a product I helped my father install last Saturday.

If you have a pre 2012 R1200... Then you have likely had the fuel strip replaced. I believe my father has done this 4 times now.

This time we decided to tackle it ourselves and use an alternative product called "Fuel Sensor Tech". Linked below [emoji116]

The delivery took about 4 weeks after ordering and I believe it shipped from Spain.

Once we received it, it was time to complete the job. Which involves removing the fuel pump as well as the fuel cap, once the fuel cap is removed and the sensor is unplugged from the fuel pump it is very easy to pull it from the tank up through the cap.

Once removed we then had to reuse the sleeve and solder the wires from the old one to the new one, this can be done with either an actual soldering iron or by utilizing the heat shrink automatic soldering butt connectors, we chose to do it the old fashioned way.

Then we put everything back together, ran the calibration with Motoscan or similar and wait for it to complete. The document says it does not require calibration but won't read perfect if you don't calibrate. Once complete we turned it back on and nothing happened... Turns out you need to ride it for about an 1/8 of a mile and then it picked it up and started reading on the fuel gauge. After that we went to the fuel station and it picked up the full tank, where it was previously almost empty.

In the end everything is working great fingers crossed that it will continue to work much longer than the BMW one.

Hopefully this can help someone else out.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I was at Haps for routine service today and decided to take a chance on the new and improved BMW fuel strip since they had one in stock. I have heard of no failures yet but it is still probably a little too early to call it a success. Only time will tell.

This conversion served me well for the last few years but if I ever sell the bike I would rather it have the stock parts if possible. The proebeemer.nl website no longer loads so I have no idea if it is still an option or not at this point.

If this new strip ever fails I will report back. Hopefully you won’t hear from me!

I was very happy with the service I received yesterday at Haps in Sarasota. Bob has retired as service manager and his daughter Lana is doing a good job in his absence but of course it will be many years until she gets enough experience to fill his shoes. Both of the BMW techs I have had before are gone. Zach is a young BMW Level 3 tech who relocated from Michigan recently and he did a great job for me. He did an annual service in the allotted time and just as he was buttoning it up his next appointment called to cancel. This allowed me to get the fuel strip replaced after he had some lunch. I explained to him about the float conversion I had done and asked if he would remove the float from the fuel pump for me. To my surprise when he was finished I found he took the time to remove all the additional wiring, control module and relay as well with no additional charge and bagged everything for me to take home. While I was waiting I observed two different Honda techs interact with customers very professionally. The first very politely explained the importance of correct tire pressure to a young woman who had arrived about 20 lbs light in each tire. His attitude was perfect and she left confident she could do better in the future. The second approached a rider who arrived complaining he needed a brake job. After a quick inspection showed the pads were fine he fixed the sucked in fluid reservoir gasket and topped it off properly then tested and sent him on his way no charge and more educated as well. I asked the Parts guy if I could see the new fuel strip first and he said sure and took the time to retrieve it and let me inspect it. When I went back looking for two mic foam covers he found a few and gave them to me. I interacted with a few others on the floor and they all made me feel at home. Good job everyone!

Also I noted their labor rates were well posted for all to see and explained that the antiques (15 years or older) did fetch a little higher rate then the new models but were still welcome.

I had a nice long conversation with Zach before I left about his Florida transition and I will still be returning there for my future services. I left with a big smile on my face which is unusual after spending that kind of money!

Back