• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas Can Mount

pearl54

Hi All,
I'm planning an extensive cross country ride from NYC in summer 2021. I'm thinking of carrying extra gas. I have a trunk and usually tie an additional bag on the passenger seat. Has anyone mounted extra gas cans anywhere on a GT? Thanks.

Attachments

• IthakaPacific.jpg
    IthakaPacific.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 147
I run a Giant Loop 1 gallon gas bag which I really like. Being able to roll it up and put it away when I don't need it is nice. I'm planning on buying a 5 gallon to carry gas on the Trans Taiga. It has daisy chains on the top which make it easy and secure to strap down.

Strapped on the back.
IMG_1394-XL.jpg

IMG_3319_heic-L.jpg

On the bike going down the TT it will be strapped on top of my duffle on the seat to keep the weight off of the subframe.

I wish I had a picture of this, but I don't, or can't find it. About 20 years ago a friend of mine stopped by on his Guzzi on a cross country trip. He'd taken a small aluminum keg, about 2 1/2 gallons I believe, and mig-welded a fitting for a gas cap on top, petcock on the bottom which he ran a fuel line to his tank from. When the main tank hit reserve he'd open the petcock and let it flow into the tank. Mounted it on a luggage rack behind the sissy-bar. Worked beautifully.

Note: all welding done prior to the tank ever having any flammable liquid, pressure tested prior to use.

Hi All,
I'm planning an extensive cross country ride from NYC in summer 2021. I'm thinking of carrying extra gas. I have a trunk and usually tie an additional bag on the passenger seat. Has anyone mounted extra gas cans anywhere on a GT? Thanks.

What is the normal fuel range on your GT? On my K1300GT I routinely get anywhere from 225 to 260 miles on a tank. Fuel should be readily available within 200 miles of any point east of the Mississippi, and even out here in the empty west a 200mi fuel range is sufficient to assure that a fueling stop will be available within that range. Most of the time when we encounter a highway traveler who has run out of fuel here in the west it’s not because they didn’t have enough fuel, but because they didn’t have sufficient fuel management and planning.

Unless you’re planning on running extended stretches at night through places that roll up the sidewalk at night, like Lakeview in Oregon, or running extended stretches at an elevated and aggressive speed, you should have no problem working with the K1600GT’s fuel range. Spend a bit of time plotting stops on your routes and IMHO you’ll be fine. Spare cans are messy and dangerous, and mounting a proper auxiliary cell on a K16GT can be complicated and expensive.

Enjoy the ride!

Best,
DeVern

I agree with DeVern. You should have no issues if you manage your fuel. Carrying fuel can be PITA and if you don’t need to do it, then don’t.

Some of my BMW's have had smaller tanks, like the R1100R series and I found that it would go onto reserve at around 130 miles, depending a bit on my travelling speed. I went on a 6000 mile trip throughout the USA and never had any issues as far as running out of gas. Before my trip I actually did a check on gas stations that were about 100 miles apart, as I was aware of my limited range. I never had any issues throughout the trip with respect to fuel.

Your bike has considerably more range than my old bikes. So I'm in the crowd to not carry extra fuel. For most of us a brake somewhere around 1 1/2 hours is a good thing.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about extra gas. Just fill when you can. If nothing else a couple MSR bottles will hold close to a half gallon, and you can toss them in a saddle bag. Companies make bottle holders for motorcycles. Perhaps with no passengers you could make a mount that used the passenger foot pegs.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/msr-fuel-bottles.html

PegPackers do just that. One or two gallon containers of gas will fit on each peg. Annie used them on her F650GS single when we would go to remote parts of Alaska. Never needed to use the fuel in them. BestRest sold them, but I think they are no longer made.

What is the normal fuel range on your GT? On my K1300GT I routinely get anywhere from 225 to 260 miles on a tank. Fuel should be readily available within 200 miles of any point east of the Mississippi, and even out here in the empty west a 200mi fuel range is sufficient to assure that a fueling stop will be available within that range. Most of the time when we encounter a highway traveler who has run out of fuel here in the west it’s not because they didn’t have enough fuel, but because they didn’t have sufficient fuel management and planning.

Unless you’re planning on running extended stretches at night through places that roll up the sidewalk at night, like Lakeview in Oregon, or running extended stretches at an elevated and aggressive speed, you should have no problem working with the K1600GT’s fuel range. Spend a bit of time plotting stops on your routes and IMHO you’ll be fine. Spare cans are messy and dangerous, and mounting a proper auxiliary cell on a K16GT can be complicated and expensive.

Enjoy the ride!

Best,
DeVern

Same fuel range as you get. Thanks for the advice.

I've travelled across the US and the Canadian prairies on my K100RT and have a range of about 175 miles. Only once did I have difficulty (but succeeded) and that was because I foolishly rode past a gas station for a top up.

With your bike you should have no need to carry additional fuel.

Have a grand and memorable trip!

Last edited:
I also have ridden a lot in the west. Very few places where fuel is an issue, as long as you are paying attention. Many places if you run across fuel, it is time to buy. You might not make it to the next. Often there is fuel available, but it can be hard to find unless you are familiar with the area.

Around home I will run over 200 miles on a tank. Out west I fuel every 100 miles, sometimes more often.

A couple years ago we rode from Thermopolis, WY to Moran, WY, actually headed to Jackson, WY. Google maps puts at Moran at 183 miles, Jackson at 213 miles, easy to cover with an R1200RT. We fueled in Kinnear, WY. I wasn't taking a chance as I had not ridden the area.

I did a run around Lake Superior, third time around. One leg was 265 miles. I knew where gas was available and didn't sweat it.

I have a K1600 & why would you even think of carrying extra gas ? The bike as a 7 gallon tank and gets at the minimum 230 miles to a tank ( unless your running over 100 mph for a long stretch). Carrying extra fuel is a PITA. Use you side bags and top trunk for what they were meant for. Nice looking GT you have there.... don’t mess it up carrying gas.

I've travelled across the US and the Canadian prairies on my K100RT and have a range of about 175 miles. Only once did I have difficulty (but succeeded) and that was because I foolishly rode past a gas station for a top up.

With your bike you should have no need to carry adding fuel.

Have a grand and memorable trip!

Thanks so much!

I have a K1600 & why would you even think of carrying extra gas ? The bike as a 7 gallon tank and gets at the minimum 230 miles to a tank ( unless your running over 100 mph for a long stretch). Carrying extra fuel is a PITA. Use you side bags and top trunk for what they were meant for. Nice looking GT you have there.... don’t mess it up carrying gas.

What he said!

Joe

Back