• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from New Orleans

espoe

Hello everyone!

I’ve been looking into a bike for about a year now and finally it all came together. I managed to find a very nice 2018 R1200RT, just under 15,000 miles, still in warranty until September. It’s fully optioned to the point if it had Air Conditioning it would be more loaded than my 2014 Benz. I included a few photos from the seller. I’ll get better one shortly.

I rode dirt bikes until I was about 21 and then life took over. I’m now 61, kids mostly grown and I’m ready to do some things I enjoy, particularly after living in the home COVID cave for so long. I’m looking to get out and do some touring, join in on some local rides and see if my wife would be a good passenger. We’ll see about that last one

I’m not in a hurry. I took the riders course, have been practicing and getting in some riding hours during off periods, and gaining more confidence. I’m booked into the next level rider course and have been really enjoying the bike. It just boggles my mind all the things this bike can do and how it rides. Just amazing.

Right now besides time on the bike my main need would be getting the right gear for someone in my area. that’s just confusing for me at this point

I look forward to participating in the forum and getting to know you. :clap

5BE21C9A-E939-4E46-9354-049622ECA131.jpeg

B33F6BE9-DFA4-44C0-89D3-B7D0FCD482D6.jpeg

1470BA1E-8401-4629-A5CA-F00811D94256.jpeg

Attachments

• F0F6F0FA-A11E-48DB-B86B-A48BE024E52B.jpeg
    F0F6F0FA-A11E-48DB-B86B-A48BE024E52B.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 61
Welcome Señor espoe from Rocket City USA!
Good 4 U on finding the gently-used RT you've been hankerin for! She is indeed a real beauty... :thumb
I've never owned an RT, but I enjoyed one for 2 weeks in the Dolomites in Y2K! I figure they're a great choice for serious touring if you also want exceptional handling; many police agencies are buying RTPs for the same reasons... I didn't envy the British couple touring Italy on a Goldwing and doing the countless switchbacks! That's no way to really enjoy the abundant European passes (I proposed to Mrs-HSV near Passo Giau)... :nod

So regarding clothing, you'll have to decide for yourself on the level of pavement & weather protection you want and can tolerate down yonder in steamy LA! For many years, when riding to work in MD/DC/VA, I wore a 2-piece Aerostich over my street clothes. Now that I'm no longer working, Team-HSV has procured Klim gear {and it certainly is "an Investment"}. This brand's philosophy requires U to change clothes when you arrive at your destination {traveling in your UnderArmour}. But we've been caught in torrential rains and stayed mostly dry (cept for some wicking effect). That's what we use when going longer distances. We also have more conventional, vented summer Olympia clothing for local rides, but then you have to accept it's not waterproof at all... It'll require your cogitation... The Norwegians say: "No such thing as bad weather, just Bad Clothes..."
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/no-bad-weather-only-bad-clothes/

Be safe and Be seen... The cagers are not paying attention behind the wheel these days!
Welcome to the MOA community from AlaBeemer territory! We'll see U in Montana in June... :beer
https://www.barbermuseum.org
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Welcome Señor espoe from Rocket City USA!
Good 4 U on finding the gently-used RT you've been hankerin for! She is indeed a real beauty... :thumb
I've never owned an RT, but I enjoyed one for 2 weeks in the Dolomites in Y2K! I figure they're a great choice for serious touring if you also want exceptional handling; many police agencies are buying RTPs for the same reasons... I didn't envy the British couple touring Italy on a Goldwing and doing the countless switchbacks! That's no way to really enjoy the abundant European passes (I proposed to Mrs-HSV near Passo Giau)... :nod

So regarding clothing, you'll have to decide for yourself on the level of pavement & weather protection you want and can tolerate down yonder in steamy LA! For many years, when riding to work in MD/DC/VA, I wore a 2-piece Aerostich over my street clothes. Now that I'm no longer working, Team-HSV has procured Klim gear {and it certainly is "an Investment"}. This brand's philosophy requires U to change clothes when you arrive at your destination {traveling in your UnderArmour}. But we've been caught in torrential rains and stayed mostly dry (cept for some wicking effect). That's what we use when going longer distances. We also have more conventional, vented summer Olympia clothing for local rides, but then you have to accept it's not waterproof at all... It'll require your cogitation... The Norwegians say: "No such thing as bad weather, just Bad Clothes..."
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/no-bad-weather-only-bad-clothes/

Be safe and Be seen... The cagers are not paying attention behind the wheel these days!
Welcome to the MOA community from AlaBeemer territory! We'll see U in Montana in June... :beer
https://www.barbermuseum.org
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Thanks for the insights. I’ve been looking hard at Klim gear and Aeorstich. Klim seems to have more hot weather options in good gear but I’m still looking.

I’m coming to the conclusion that like any other clothes I’ll need to collect some different things. I’ll start out with a good mesh summer jacket and some riding pants while I figure out the touring gear. I see you’re going to Montana in June. How long a ride is that from Bama and how many days do you allocate for a round trip?

Greetings from the coast of Kansas! You are in the right place. Glad to have you with us.

That is a beautiful machine and appears well cared for. You will enjoy it, for sure. Street riding is different than dirt riding, so take it easy. You have already taken the proper first step by getting the riders course; that will be beneficial to you in the years to come.

Your story is similar to mine (rode when young, took extended break to raise kids, re-entered the sport when older), plus sounds iffy about your wife riding with you. Mine does not, but she loves me enough to let me go on long trips. I have toured all over the states, some with a friend or two, some solo. My only advice is: avoid riding with folks you don't know their riding style (it's dangerous), and avoid any groups bigger than two or three familiar riders (it's dangerous).

Finally, buy the absolute best gear you can afford--you will never regret it. A good helmet will cost you upwards of $500, a good textile rainproof suit will cost you upwards of $1,000, good boots will cost $200+, and good gloves will cost $50+. This is an expensive hobby when done properly.

Good luck.

The search for riding gear can be fun or frustrating. Try to get a good idea of exactly what you think you need. Hot vs cold? Where I am hot is rarely an issue but cold certainly can be. Don't be afraid to look at more brands but personally the Klim Adventure suit I bought has worked extremely well for me. Aerostitch make top quality kit as well. Then of course you have to think about what layers go underneath? Super light long underwear can be just the thing to wick away moisture to help keep you cool. In very hot areas some folks run chill vests and other like products where you put frozen gel packs in. Some people drench themselves so the wet material keeps them cool as it dries. Boots and gloves are personal items that trying on for fit is important but you probably know that from your dirt bike days. Everything is better if you can try it on first. gear for day rides around home can be very different from touring so you will need to consider what you want. Good luck getting yourself sorted.

Welcome

Welcome to the club and congrats on your new bike! You might be interested in our local club based in southeast Louisiana. Many members from both the north and south shore. We are having a club meeting, outdoors, March 6, in Gulfport, MS at a members farm. You can check us out at www.gulfsouthbmw.org. Several have RTs so you’ll be right at home. We have a Facebook page as well you can check out.

It’s a great way to learn from others about gear. Come to meetings and see what people wear. It will be quite a variety!

You can PM me for my contact info. Or heck call me at 985-373-6340.

Hope to see you soon and would be happy to be a local resource in addition to all the great info you’ll find from members in the MOA.

Greg

Welcome to the club and congrats on your new bike! You might be interested in our local club based in southeast Louisiana. Many members from both the north and south shore. We are having a club meeting, outdoors, March 6, in Gulfport, MS at a members farm. You can check us out at www.gulfsouthbmw.org. Several have RTs so you’ll be right at home. We have a Facebook page as well you can check out.

It’s a great way to learn from others about gear. Come to meetings and see what people wear. It will be quite a variety!

You can PM me for my contact info. Or heck call me at 985-373-6340.

Hope to see you soon and would be happy to be a local resource in addition to all the great info you’ll find from members in the MOA.

Greg

This is exactly one of the responses I was looking for. I have been trying to find some like-minded local groups to ride with but didn't come up with too much so this is perfect. Thanks for replying!

Greetings from the coast of Kansas! You are in the right place. Glad to have you with us.

That is a beautiful machine and appears well cared for. You will enjoy it, for sure. Street riding is different than dirt riding, so take it easy. You have already taken the proper first step by getting the riders course; that will be beneficial to you in the years to come.

Your story is similar to mine (rode when young, took extended break to raise kids, re-entered the sport when older), plus sounds iffy about your wife riding with you. Mine does not, but she loves me enough to let me go on long trips. I have toured all over the states, some with a friend or two, some solo. My only advice is: avoid riding with folks you don't know their riding style (it's dangerous), and avoid any groups bigger than two or three familiar riders (it's dangerous).

Finally, buy the absolute best gear you can afford--you will never regret it. A good helmet will cost you upwards of $500, a good textile rainproof suit will cost you upwards of $1,000, good boots will cost $200+, and good gloves will cost $50+. This is an expensive hobby when done properly.

Good luck.

Thanks! I wasn't in a hurry but kept looking for a good buy and this popped up soI jumped on it. I am definitely one to buy good stuff; cheaping out almost never works for me. Primarily because my mind keeps telling me I went cheap so it turns into more baggage in my brain.

After researching a bit it definitely looks like a summery to coolish set of gear and then straight up winter gear at the very least. Until I get more confident with the bike and know I can prepare for and execute a long journey, I won't see any hard winter stuff for a while. So for now get that gear and look for sales on the winter stuff coming up. Of course down here, heat, humidity and monsoons are the dominant concerns, which seems to complicate things.

It's funny, the bike itself is the least of the costs and we have BMW's! :)

Back