Thread: R1150R Crash Bars

R1150R Crash Bars

Hey all fellow Oilheads. First off I would like to say that this forum has been awesome to be a part of!

A fellow R1150R rider is looking for a set of crash bars / engine guards for his '04. He was interested in these (http://www.accessoryinternational.co...0r-r1150r.html).

Curious if anyone has these installed? Looking to see how well the finish holds up over time. And/or if anyone has put any other set of crash bars on a R1150R that they would recommend?

As always, any input is appreciated!

For about $100 less than the HB engine guard, you could just replace a damaged cylinder head cover if necessary.
    2002 R1150R (sold)
    2016 BMW F700GS
    2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencecarlson View Post
    For about $100 less than the HB engine guard, you could just replace a damaged cylinder head cover if necessary.
    Except that if you happen to be on tour, have a mishap and punch a hole in the valve cover, you'd be thankful that you had crash bars or valve cover protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Except that if you happen to be on tour, have a mishap and punch a hole in the valve cover, you'd be thankful that you had crash bars or valve cover protectors.
    True — guess it’s just a matter of figuring the odds. My R came with the small BMW valve cover protectors, but they’ve never seen action in 65,000 miles and almost 20 years.
    2002 R1150R (sold)
    2016 BMW F700GS
    2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencecarlson View Post
    True — guess it’s just a matter of figuring the odds. My R came with the small BMW valve cover protectors, but they’ve never seen action in 65,000 miles and almost 20 years.
    Guaranteed that if you take them off you'll fall over within 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jbaab View Post
    Hey all fellow Oilheads. First off I would like to say that this forum has been awesome to be a part of!

A fellow R1150R rider is looking for a set of crash bars / engine guards for his '04. He was interested in these (http://www.accessoryinternational.co...0r-r1150r.html).

Curious if anyone has these installed? Looking to see how well the finish holds up over time. And/or if anyone has put any other set of crash bars on a R1150R that they would recommend?

As always, any input is appreciated!
    Says Out of Stock...and a month to get...
    Ride fast, take chances.

Ztechnic stainless?

I just put these on my R1100S, 3 mounting points No idea how they will perform. They are stainless as are the mounting bolts per the company. Got em a little cheaper through a near BMW shop that had a coupon show up on my coupon sniffer software. Check the application chart for that model BMW. http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    I just put these on my R1100S, 3 mounting points. http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html
    Nice that they have accessory mounting points.

R850r

Has anyone seen a good option for an R850R with oil coolers? Almost to the point of custom making them.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    I just put these on my R1100S, 3 mounting points No idea how they will perform. They are stainless as are the mounting bolts per the company. Got em a little cheaper through a near BMW shop that had a coupon show up on my coupon sniffer software. Check the application chart for that model BMW. http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html
    I have these on my RT.
    They bend when fallen on.
    I replaced the right one last year and the left one is bent and I had to helicoil the top screw as I had lost 2 screws.
    Both falls were while not moving.

yes

I had a garage drop and one of the mounting tabs bent. No engine damage like you. I just bent it straight. You having to helicoil raises a whole new concern and I would not for sure recommend these. Crash bars that don't mount to the frame are probably questionable. But as BC pointed out, one could have a leaking head on a trip? I don't know the answer.