• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on size of tank and travel for 750/850GS

cowchip

I am close to selling my current R1200RT and moving down to a F750GS. Looking at a weight loss of about 75 pounds or so. Will it make a difference? Who knows. I am use to traveling on a full tank which is 6.2 gal. How does touring on a 4 gal bike work out? Still trying to get my head around daily chain oiling and adding a bunch of farkels to make the bike ready for comfortable touring.

Thanks,

I am close to selling my current R1200RT and moving down to a F750GS. Looking at a weight loss of about 75 pounds or so. Will it make a difference? Who knows. I am use to traveling on a full tank which is 6.2 gal. How does touring on a 4 gal bike work out? Still trying to get my head around daily chain oiling and adding a bunch of farkels to make the bike ready for comfortable touring.

Thanks,

I don’t know about the gas capacity question buy on the “daily chain oiling”......?

Maybe you haven’t had a chain in a while- they are very durable. Here is a recent thread on “chains”.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?99134-New-Owner-Chain-Maintenance-Questions

Good luck.

OM

I am not sure of the 750 details but would think you will have about a 200 mile range. All this means is you need to be a bit more careful about gas stops if touring in the plains and mountain west. I think chain lube every 500 miles or so; but you can always get that new maintenance free chain BMW has advertised. You still need to keep it clean though.

Voni and I have been touring on our G310GS bikes with 2.9 gallon gas tanks and it was a fairly easy adjustment to get fueling stops right. We do carry a 1 liter MSR bottle of fuel on each bike.

Annie and I made a three round trips between Alaska and Montana with her riding her F650GS (Twin) and me on either an 07RT or 08R. We always got fuel together and she did not carry any extra fuel. Range was never an issue for her on that bike. She still has a F800GS and again the range on that bike is not an issue when we ride together regarless of what I ride, except my R1200GSA. But even when I'm on the GSA her fuel range is much longer than my butt's range.

Four gallons is about right for these. I can tell you you'll no doubt get better MPG then on your RT. My personal experience was 54-57 MPG on both 750 and 850...with reasonable throttle control at 5-10 over highway speed limit. I was pushing a Madstad 20" windshield system and pulling Vario bags - solo. AND, be sure to get one with or add a center stand...will make chain maintenance 90% easier.

Smaller engine in most cases will get better mileage, unless being pushed, so the range shouldn't end up being a problem. In my case my butt needs a break before the bike needs fuel.

If you find the chain oiling a chore, look into a chain oiler. I've had a couple on my chain bikes and once set up make chain oiling much easier. Not everybody likes them, like most things we put on our bikes. I like the electric oiler, as you can add or subtract oil activation or turn it off when in the dirt. Fairly expensive but work well. Other type use engine vacuum so harder to adjust to conditions.

In my case my butt needs a break before the bike needs fuel.

The issue is the spacing of gas stations in parts of the west. I live on a highway, Texas 118, where the gas stations are 79 miles apart: 54 miles to my north and 25 miles to my south. I can point to another dozen or so stretches in Texas, New Mexico, Montana, and other states. I keep on hand a supply of a few gallons fuel for self-stranding motorists. :)

The range issue is one of planning and the mantra fuel early and often. Two hundred mile range means nothing if that 200 mile range gets you half way between fuel stations that are 80 or more miles apart. This is seldom an issue in Rhode Island. It is is Montana where not every spec on the map even has a gas station.

Here's my write-up for my F800GS as to make it more comfortable for long distance touring

I added a Camel Tank aux. gas tank (no option yet for the 850) to increase my range to a solid 200 miles at ~75 mph with my Madstad windshield and aluminum bags.

Adding an electronic Scottoiler took care of my chain issues.

I too have an RT and found that they are pretty similar as the 800, as the 800 gets that much better gas mileage. The weight is noticeable, but I think I'd also tie that to a different riding position, stance, and wider bars.

From the F750GS Manual:
MeDJdu1.png

Manual states 57MPG so you can ride 228 miles in ideal conditions until you're pushing it.

(sorry for this jerk comment, but why didn't anyone just look at the owners manual?)

From the F750GS Manual:
MeDJdu1.png

Manual states 57MPG so you can ride 228 miles in ideal conditions until you're pushing it.

(sorry for this jerk comment, but why didn't anyone just look at the owners manual?)

Looked like only 1 person in the thread owned one. Seems like real world experience is better and realistic anyway.
OM

F750GS fuel and comfort

From the F750GS Manual:
MeDJdu1.png

I downloaded the manual, and yes, I should have done that earlier. I also see I can use unleaded. That is good. I too need to stop well before my fuel is empty, especially if I have coffee in the morning. Just trying to convince myself that a new smaller bike will be easier for me to move around and be comfortable. Bar risers, a better seat and a real windshield is a must.
Thanks everyone. The 2021 Blue is calling me.

Because I don't own that model bike or that model bike's owner's (with the apostrophe correctly denoting possessive) manual. But I do have experience touring all over the US with a 2.9 gallon tank.

I downloaded the manual, and yes, I should have done that earlier. I also see I can use unleaded. That is good. I too need to stop well before my fuel is empty, especially if I have coffee in the morning. Just trying to convince myself that a new smaller bike will be easier for me to move around and be comfortable. Bar risers, a better seat and a real windshield is a must.
Thanks everyone. The 2021 Blue is calling me.

We love our F750GS. It's a very good bike. Minimum for touring would be windscreen, larger foot pegs, grip puppies and an aftermarket seat. Everything else is just extra fun stuff but off the floor, it's a great touring bike. We throw a duffel on the back seat and that's enough for an overnighter.

Because I don't own that model bike or that model bike's owner's (with the apostrophe correctly denoting possessive) manual. But I do have experience touring all over the US with a 2.9 gallon tank.

I knew my comment wouldn't go over well but data over guesswork is far more important. Like oil threads, let's start with what the spec is then allow for the '@ home engineers' to give their opinions but you gotta start at the real numbers. I just felt my head spin seeing a full page of guesses and no one referencing the specs. I thought at the very least, let's cite the manual.

I don't want anyone here to feel attacked or feel they have to defend their post. I just was amazed so many posts went by that were guesses.

We love our F750GS. It's a very good bike. Minimum for touring would be windscreen, larger foot pegs, grip puppies and an aftermarket seat. Everything else is just extra fun stuff but off the floor, it's a great touring bike. We throw a duffel on the back seat and that's enough for an overnighter.

I knew my comment wouldn't go over well but data over guesswork is far more important. Like oil threads, let's start with what the spec is then allow for the '@ home engineers' to give their opinions but you gotta start at the real numbers. I just felt my head spin seeing a full page of guesses and no one referencing the specs. I thought at the very least, let's cite the manual.

I don't want anyone here to feel attacked or feel they have to defend their post. I just was amazed so many posts went by that were guesses.

I just looked at his original question: "How does touring on a 4 gal bike work out?"

That is not exactly the same as what the expected MPG might be. And actually not a question easily answered in an Owner's Manual.

I just looked at his original question: "How does touring on a 4 gal bike work out?"

That is not exactly the same as what the expected MPG might be. And actually not a question easily answered in an Owner's Manual.

Understood. I'm also new to this forum so I don't know exactly what the tone / response is for a lot of things. I'll try not to step on anyone's toes going forward.

Understood. I'm also new to this forum so I don't know exactly what the tone / response is for a lot of things. I'll try not to step on anyone's toes going forward.

Not a problem at all really. I was a little more snarky than I should have been.

The issue is the spacing of gas stations in parts of the west. I live on a highway, Texas 118, where the gas stations are 79 miles apart: 54 miles to my north and 25 miles to my south. I can point to another dozen or so stretches in Texas, New Mexico, Montana, and other states. I keep on hand a supply of a few gallons fuel for self-stranding motorists. :)

The range issue is one of planning and the mantra fuel early and often. Two hundred mile range means nothing if that 200 mile range gets you half way between fuel stations that are 80 or more miles apart. This is seldom an issue in Rhode Island. It is is Montana where not every spec on the map even has a gas station.

I have dealt with the same issues. I had a 2005 HD Ultra Classic, 5 gallon tank. I would try to run out to 150 miles on the interstate, but once in a while I would run into a bad head wind and I would have to go into conservation mod to make the 150. Run the western states and gas stops are not very regular. If you miss one you might not make the next.
Moved up to a 2010 with a 6 gallon tank and it was like WOW! no more gas issues! I could run 150 miles on the interstate and run over the speed limit and have extra gas. The only riders that didn't under stand were the guys that would stop every 100 miles or less. My bladder is good for 4 hours or so, so running long gas stops are my normal. I ran 265 miles one time on my HD, It was sucking fumes when I filled! The 6.6 gallon tank and 45 MPH or more on my 2018 Rt is a god send!

Not as long as you know the area and plan your stops. I have had to double back a couple times for fuel when traveling Wyoming and Montana when the towns only gas station was closed and the next one was too far away. Often we will stop for fuel even when we really don't need it, because of the uncertainty of getting fuel in the next town. I can ride the tank dry in areas I ride all the time because I know the gas stops. Go ride a new area and I stop more often that I need to.

I have had fuel issues traveling North and South Dakota. We came back from Sturgis headed to Fargo and skipped a gas station because it was packed with bikes getting fuel. We figured the next town down the road. Nope, no station, then the next, there the only station we knew about was closed, Sunday morning. The GPS showed gas down the road, again the station was closed, but they did have a no attendant, pay at the pump that didn't even have signs stating so at another spot a couple blocks away that we just about ignored. Just two old style fuel pumps with a credit card reader on a post. No signs, nothing to indicate you could buy fuel. We just stopped out of desperation.

Last edited:
In the Midwestern states look for the big grain silos. Some of the Coops have unattended pumps and they usually do not bother with a sign next to the highway.

Gas Stations (2).jpg

Gas Stations (1).jpg

Back