• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Billet Fuel Cap on GS with keyless ride?

Now isn't unnecessary technology fluff just wonderful. Useful tech like fuel injection, ABS, traction control, LED lighting etc is great , but some of the stuff they insist on putting on motorcycles is just awful. YMMV

You know, they could have at least designed it such that it fails OPEN, not LOCKED (!).

One guy came up with a simple solution to disable the lock. The cap will latch and seal but not lock.
I plan to do the same after the bikes are out of warranty.
Ray used a dremel to cut off the tab on the cap.
He cut off the circled tab.
gas cap remove tab with dremel.jpg

Looks like this now.
Gas cap tab cut off (Ray's bike).jpg

So if the cap latches but doesn't lock, how do you open it, Lee? A conventional key?

Same way you normally open the keyless cap.
Lift the little flap. When closing, press down until you hear or feel the click of the catch.

keyless cap.jpg

Same way you normally open the keyless cap.
Lift the little flap.]

Dang, I thought you had some secret double-nought spy way of getting it open.

I wanted an SSR cap but they are no longer available and every other replacement cap I've seen has a projecting "handle" on the lid which doesn't allow my Motech tank bag to attach.

Curses, foiled again! :laugh

I have (had) the SSR fuel cap shown in this post by akbeemer back in 2021.
On my last ride of this season (2023) the screw on cover of this billet fuel cap came off somewhere during the ride. I hadn’t stopped to refill on this ride so somehow it fell off.
The cover is no longer available from SSR; Jerry, of Pirates Lair, thought he had found one but it was not the one that fit the R1200R wet head. I did find a cap that fit on eBay but it leaked, Rizoma has one that fits but it’s over $200 and it uses a tiny fob to open it.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?:scratch

If you still have the original cap I would do the modification shown in post #63.

Back