• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Billet Fuel Cap on GS with keyless ride?

gtrider

I’m contemplating replacing the “keyless ride” fuel cap on my 2018 GS with a non-locking billet cap. Has anyone here done this? I’m wondering if I’ll end up with a dash light problem indicator or a recurring item showing up in gs-911 scans. I could live with the scans but not the dash indicator...

Anyone tried this yet?

DeVern

I’m contemplating replacing the “keyless ride” fuel cap on my 2018 GS with a non-locking billet cap. Has anyone here done this? I’m wondering if I’ll end up with a dash light problem indicator or a recurring item showing up in gs-911 scans. I could live with the scans but not the dash indicator...

Anyone tried this yet?

DeVern

I'm expecting one from Pirate's Lair to arive in 4-5 days and should know how it works soon thereafter. I do not think there is an alert for an open fuel cap. It is not uncommon on either of our GS/As for a fault code to present on the GS911 indicating the cap was unlocked at some point and that the fault is not currently present. Yet, we have never seen an alert telling us the cap was not locked. I also disconnected my cap at what point and got no alert.

Remind me in ten days or so and I'll tell you what I have learned.

I'm expecting one from Pirate's Lair to arive in 4-5 days and should know how it works soon thereafter. .

Which one did you order from Jerry?
It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Last edited:
Checking his site it appears the SSR cap is the only one that fits a Wethead.

I ordered one of the other ones from Jerry first; cannot recall the name. He told me upfront that the manufacturer was not sure it would fit my GSA and if I wanted to try I could return it if it did not fit. It did not fit. During that fitting effort is when I disconnected the OE cap and saw no alert with the ignition on.

We had some issues with Annie's fuel cap on a trip last summer. I decided to see how an aftermarket cap does and she wants me to be the test mule.

I ordered one of the other ones from Jerry first; cannot recall the name. He told me upfront that the manufacturer was not sure it would fit my GSA and if I wanted to try I could return it if it did not fit. It did not fit. During that fitting effort is when I disconnected the OE cap and saw no alert with the ignition on.

We had some issues with Annie's fuel cap on a trip last summer. I decided to see how an aftermarket cap does and she wants me to be the test mule.

Debbie had trouble with her cap not opening last summer, so I'm interested on how the billet cap works out.
I'm not a fan of locking gas caps, keyless or keyed.

I'm guessing that people have a fondness for Pirate's Lair, but ordering direct from SSR (SlingShotRacing) would appear to save a 1/4 the cost.

Being new to the MOA, I don't know anything about Pirate's Lair.

I'm guessing that people have a fondness for Pirate's Lair, but ordering direct from SSR (SlingShotRacing) would appear to save a 1/4 the cost.

Being new to the MOA, I don't know anything about Pirate's Lair.

He has a good reputation and it's easy to return something if it's not right.
We have bought from him several times.
When we first bought our K1300S bikes I ordered two tinted shields the same basic shape as the stock screen.
This was in the winter.
After he shipped the shields he emailed me and mentioned a lot of riders did not like the stock shield and I may not like the shield he sent.
He told me to go for a couple rides in the spring to make sure I would be happy with the stock shape.
Even if it was a couple months latter he said I could swap for another shield.

I would second Lee’s comments and add that for most of the items on pirateslair.net free shipping is included in the price.

Best,
DeVern

I too have had very good experiences doing business with Jerry. I deal with him directly, he is cordial, quick to respond and proactive in keeping me up to date on my orders. That is worth something.

Can you lift the gas cap off without removing the tank covers. On the RS the center tank cover is a very tight fit around the cap.

Here's what the RS looks like and I'm guessing the same on a GS/GSA.

Air Filter Change (5).JPG

I'd love to hear RT keyless installation experiences- especially removal of old and any attendant cable/electronics issues (the stock interlock interfaces with ignition and key. pirates' site mentions the issues with vapor-recovery gas nozzles and a poster here (and me) have experiences heart stopping issues unlocking stock cap.

New to keyless, so hope this fits the category. Can an extra fob or emergency key be made? I have always worn an extra key around my neck. what's the solution to a missing fob?

New to keyless, so hope this fits the category. Can an extra fob or emergency key be made? I have always worn an extra key around my neck. what's the solution to a missing fob?

You can just pony up and buy an extra fob. Also the newer bikes come with an emergency key. It will unlock your bags and gas cap, but also will start the motorcycle when held in the appropriate place so the electronics on the bike see the key.

My wife travels with me most of the time, we both carry fobs.

Gas cap has still not arrived. Was scheduled to arrive Wednesday but still not here today. USPS tracking says it will arrive late and is on the way to the next facility. It is coming from NC and I imagine it is a victim of the impact of the winter storms on flights.

Back