• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to communicate hazard ahead?

Exactly! The fool proof, sure fire, way to get folks to slow down and search for hazards.

As is often the case I don't agree. When warned of a LEO folks are looking for a vehicle and not wildlife in the ditches, potholes, an oil slick etc. They may slow to the speed limit but that isn't enough when you hit the deer or the puddle of diesel in the roadway.

As with any warning attempt the time/distance conundrum crosses my mind. How far down the road is it effective?

I’ll flash lights, raise flattened left palm up/ down for road issues and tap the helmet for speed warnings. After a mile or so, seems less likely to be relative the further down the road you are as the warnee isn’t seeing hazard immediately.

In the small group I ride with, tapping on your helmet is when someone forgets to turn off directional or high beam. Palm down and pumping and leg out when possible is slow down for road danger.

As is often the case I don't agree.

I don’t know if you are aware of this or not, but there currently is no requirement in the bylaws to always disagree with me. ;)

But, if it makes you feel good, by all means, blast away, it doesn’t bother me much really, I raised four teenagers, they trained me well. I guess it comes with the job, that I signed up for. I’m sure you had your share of detractors when you were president.

Maybe it depends on the situational definition of "hazard"...

Tapping the side of the helmet (or top, which I disagree with...) is (usually) reserved expressly for "LEO Ahead", while palm down (pumping optional, depending on severity) and/or lights flashing is a general hazard alert.
On the other hand, I have seen a few cases where the LEO was around a curve and blocking the road, so that's a double hazard.

"Hey your turn signal is still on" is the left hand opening and closing, like sign language for telling your dog to "Speak!".

Telling oncoming riders that they are approaching junk in the road is two spread fingers down and "sweeping"; neither I nor any of my riding friends have any problem with using our toe to point to a rock/etc. in our lane to alert the guy behind us.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Orion-12...did=&affiliates_ad_id=566719&campaign_id=9383

Oh... this is all way to confusing to me now.
I just ordered 6 of these for my gang.

See something?

Pull it out and fire.
Hopefully upwards.
This should wake everyone up.
:usa
Nick
1990 K 75 RT

I used to ride solo in the Flint Hills in Kansas. I rode down a lot of two track section line roads that might see a vehicle or two in the spring, moving cows, and another few in the fall retrieving the cows. I carried a flare gun and smoke pots in case I got in a bind and needed to be rescued. The ranchers would see the smoke for sure and worry about a grass fire.

Back