• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking at a used 2012 R1200RT, need advice

tsconver

Hooligan
Need some help

Found what I think is a good deal on a 2012 R1200RT, fully loaded, less than 10k miles.

Been sitting since 2014, tried to start it off a jump box and it would start but not run for very long, think the battery was just too dead. I think the fact it would actually start was a good sign. It was not prepped for storage so it has 7 year old gas in it.

Want to make sure I am not getting into a big disaster. Thinking of getting a battery for it and putting fresh gas in it and seeing if it will start. I am pretty good with tools. Built a offroad rig and have pulled a Cummins form a Ram pickup and rebuilt it in my driveway. Own a 2001 ZRX1200 that I do all my maintenance on including valves adjustments.

What am I getting into? Should I run or go for it? Price is below blue book listing.

I have heard it could take $1000 to get it road worthy such as going through the fuel system and doing all the maintenance, I would likely do the maintenance myself. Change all the fluids, etc.

Last edited:
You should plan on replacing all fluids, including brake and clutch fluid, and draining/refilling fuel along with a dose of BG-44. The bike will need a new battery and new tires, regardless of tread depth. And with brake fluid that old in the system the brake fluid change/bleed should be done at a dealership so the ABS unit can be cycled to verify that it is working and to get fresh fluid in it.

Tally up those costs, factor in the possibility of the ABS unit having problems, then determine if the discount from blue book is deep enough to allow you to come out OK on the purchase.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Best,
DeVern

You should plan on replacing all fluids, including brake and clutch fluid, and draining/refilling fuel along with a dose of BG-44. The bike will need a new battery and new tires, regardless of tread depth. And with brake fluid that old in the system the brake fluid change/bleed should be done at a dealership so the ABS unit can be cycled to verify that it is working and to get fresh fluid in it.

Tally up those costs, factor in the possibility of the ABS unit having problems, then determine if the discount from blue book is deep enough to allow you to come out OK on the purchase.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Best,
DeVern

I was planning on doing all the fluids myself. Also planning on getting the OBD software to do that sort of maintenance as well but I would likely have the dealer do the brakes but I do not think it would be critical to get done the first day. It is hard to tell if there are any real issues without the battery up to snuff. The MFD was displaying brake failure but they felt good and firm and the fluid looked good so I am hoping it was just due to look voltage on the can bus. I know that can really cause all kinds of errors so a battery is the first priority.

Tires look good. No dry rot. But yeah for piece of mind probably put knew shoes on it fairly soon after purchase.

Need some help

Found what I think is a good deal on a 2012 R1200RT, fully loaded, less than 10k miles.

You would probably be better served by posting this in the "Hexhead" section of the forum but, as others have said, a full fluid change and a new battery should get you on the road.

You would probably be better served by posting this in the "Hexhead" section of the forum but, as others have said, a full fluid change and a new battery should get you on the road.

NO need to repost! One of the moderators will move the whole thread. We will also edit the title so it doesn’t look like a WTB posting.
Good luck.
OM

Thanks, new to BMW so sorry about posting it in the wrong section.

No worries! Sometimes it actually helps a bit :wave
You will sorta get exposure in two spots- with the redirect.
I will get to it in a while.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

So it had very little fuel in it . Filled it up with 93 octane and a new battery and the ews kicked in. Looks.lime it has to go to a dealer unless someone has a way to bypass it.

So it had very little fuel in it . Filled it up with 93 octane and a new battery and the ews kicked in. Looks.lime it has to go to a dealer unless someone has a way to bypass it.

We have members that are real good with this stuff. Hang in and see what they say. Somehow, IIRC, EWS was the antenna ring- for security?
Good luck.
OM

We have members that are real good with this stuff. Hang in and see what they say. Somehow, IIRC, EWS was the antenna ring- for security?
Good luck.
OM

I read that the anrltenna ring can fail.

Anyone know if the motoscan app can reset it?

Or just pay the $200 and have a dealer do a full diagnostic?

I bought a low mile 2001 R1100R That had sat. A long time.
It stated reluctantly sputtered and died.
Drove it home.
Ran like crap.
Took apart tank and replaced hoses and filters.
Cleaned throttle bodies and injectors. Fresh gas.
Runs like a top. Starts right up.

If the antenna ring fails there is no fix; just replace. In the early days of those frequent failures some folks carried a spare ring. It could be plugged in and made to work, even if the theft-proof (drill these out) screws still held the original in place.

Do you have spare key on same ring?

I have done the temp fix Paul mentions for a bud as I have carried a spare since 2006 when this was a common problem

TeckelTex 2006 R1200RT

I had a similar situation. I did all the recommended measures. I should
have checked the spark plugs first. It took two weeks to get the correct
BMW socket.

I had a similar situation. I did all the recommended measures. I should
have checked the spark plugs first. It took two weeks to get the correct
BMW socket.

Not sure I am following you? The starter does not engage at all how would that be related to spark plugs?

Back