• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Local BMW Dealer not working on bikes older than 10 years

rangemaster

[UPDATED 2/9/2021...see my latest post].
I received my second RT fuel pump recall letter (that indicates there is a ‘remedy available’). I called the dealer where I found my current 2009 RT about 2 years ago and they indicated now they cannot service BMWs over 10 years old.

EDIT: The dealer is BMW Motorcycles of Vancouver, WA; part of Pro Caliber Motorsports.

I pointed out to the service manager that I bought this bike at their dealership (used) and I’ve had work done on it by their BMW-trained mechanic; he responded their relationship with BMW has changed with regards to service & recalls.

Of course like many other places this is a “Powersports” dealer that sells/services various makes of toys like Yamaha, Kawasaki and Indian. They took on BMW about 3 to 4 years ago if memory serves...

This is disappointing because it was only a 45 minute trip from my house to this shop; the next closest BMW dealers are over two hours one-way.

Is this a change in BMWs contractual relationship with some of their dealers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I have heard of a few cases of dealers not working on bikes older than 10 years but it was the dealer choice.
I have not heard of BMW NA telling a dealer to not work on old bikes.

One big problem with mega-motor-madness dealerships (the one that bought out Gina's BMW in Iowa City claims 20 brands if you count generators and chainsaws :) ) is a lack of qualified service techs. Often they have only one BMW certified tech. And sometimes that newish tech lacks training on and knowledge of older models. That said, I really doubt that a franchised dealership can contractually refuse to perform a mandated recall. On the other hand, I wouldn't want an untrained and unwilling tech to be forced to work on my bike.

If it’s a safety related recall, i don’t think they have much choice if they want to remain an authorized dealer. Honda car dealerships are still replacing Takata airbags back to the 2001 model year.

Years ago i needed warranty work on a new Honda bike. The local dealer declined to do the work as i had not purchased from them. I called American Honda for clarification and received a callback from the local dealer shortly thereafter as they had decided to do the warranty work after all.

Might we have the dealers name? I like to make notes in my Anonymous book, as to what certain dealers will or won't do. Thanks

Might we have the dealers name? I like to make notes in my Anonymous book, as to what certain dealers will or won't do. Thanks

BMW Motorcycles of Vancouver, WA...part of ProCaliber Motorsports.

Overall I believe it’s owned by Ron Tonkin Dealerships, which have 18 car/motorcycle locations in the Pacific NW.

One big problem with mega-motor-madness dealerships (the one that bought out Gina's BMW in Iowa City claims 20 brands if you count generators and chainsaws :) ) is a lack of qualified service techs. Often they have only one BMW certified tech. And sometimes that newish tech lacks training on and knowledge of older models. That said, I really doubt that a franchised dealership can contractually refuse to perform a mandated recall. On the other hand, I wouldn't want an untrained and unwilling tech to be forced to work on my bike.

A good friend of mine had that exact problem with the fuel pump recall/replacement on his R1200RT last fall. A relatively new dealership and the mechanic somehow got contamination into the fuel line to the right injector. The bike was cutting out, no power, the MoDeTec said it was a bad TPS which was replaced and naturally didn't fix the problem. After more than two weeks he convinced them it was a fuel flow problem and sure enough, a new injector and the bike ran as well as when he took it in three weeks before.

I just spoke to BMW NA and described the conversation I had with BMW Motorcycles of Vancouver. The NA rep indicated she was not aware of any contractual restriction that would prohibit recall/warranty work on one of their bikes, regardless of age or mileage.

I know the BMW tech at that dealership and he is experienced with the fuel pump (and fuel strip) problem with Hexhead bikes.

The dealer does however have the option to refuse to perform recall work...apparently BMW cannot legally compel them to perform to a standard we expect from most dealers.

That being said - it looks like that dealer is on my ‘no fly’ list for the foreseeable future for repairs, parts AND any potential future new sales.

This is especially frustrating because I have TWO Hexheads that need the fuel pump recall, so it will be two 5-hour round-trips, plus shop wait time, to get these thru the next-closest (read: real full-service) BMW dealer.

Last edited:
Having been a dealer myself (Honda/Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Ural) I can view this from a couple of perspectives.

From the customer's perspective - you own a perfectly serviceable motorcycle with many more potential miles. You purchased it from the dealer in question and expect him to service and stand behind what he sold you, especially as it is a brand that he is a franchisee for.

From the Dealer's perspective - Here comes another ten-year-old bike, I sure hope that (Insert Brand Here) still makes the parts we think we need and also the parts we find out we need once we have diagnosed the problem and have it apart. I wonder if (Insert name of the one tech that has been to factory school or has experience on this Brand/Model) has ever done this job before? Darn, he is scheduled for the next three weeks, sure wish I could find three more qualified techs. Do we have room to store this bike for the weeks it will take to get the parts from Germany/Japan/Russia etc....

There are issues on both sides of the coin. I'm not saying you are wrong to expect service from a franchised dealer on a then-year-old bike, just offering some perspective. YMMV

I find the Tigard Shop to be very well run and excellent at service. I know they work on bikes older than 10 years, in fact one of their parts guys rides a 1987 K75S and that is certainly older than 10 years. I bought my 2018RT from them and use thier shop and the one in Eugene often. Now if you make an appointment they get you in at opening 8:30 I think, you can always test ride a bike while you wait (thats how they sold me on an 18 v 08) or sit in the waiting room, whihc has Wifi and lots of reading material.

Bob

Having been a dealer myself (Honda/Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Ural) I can view this from a couple of perspectives.

From the customer's perspective - you own a perfectly serviceable motorcycle with many more potential miles. You purchased it from the dealer in question and expect him to service and stand behind what he sold you, especially as it is a brand that he is a franchisee for.

From the Dealer's perspective - Here comes another ten-year-old bike, I sure hope that (Insert Brand Here) still makes the parts we think we need and also the parts we find out we need once we have diagnosed the problem and have it apart. I wonder if (Insert name of the one tech that has been to factory school or has experience on this Brand/Model) has ever done this job before? Darn, he is scheduled for the next three weeks, sure wish I could find three more qualified techs. Do we have room to store this bike for the weeks it will take to get the parts from Germany/Japan/Russia etc....

There are issues on both sides of the coin. I'm not saying you are wrong to expect service from a franchised dealer on a then-year-old bike, just offering some perspective. YMMV

Yes, but in this case it is a BMW recall for which they say there is a remedy, meaning that the parts are available.

I find the Tigard Shop to be very well run and excellent at service. I know they work on bikes older than 10 years, in fact one of their parts guys rides a 1987 K75S and that is certainly older than 10 years. I bought my 2018RT from them and use thier shop and the one in Eugene often. Now if you make an appointment they get you in at opening 8:30 I think, you can always test ride a bike while you wait (thats how they sold me on an 18 v 08) or sit in the waiting room, whihc has Wifi and lots of reading material.

Bob

+1 for the Tigard and Eugene shops. I bought my 2015 RT from the Tigard store, but have my service done at the Eugene store. Great experiences at both stores...plus, it's a great early morning summer ride from Bend to Eugene for a service appointment!

I received my second RT fuel pump recall letter (that indicates there is a ‘remedy available’). I called the dealer where I found my current 2009 RT about 2 years ago and they indicated now they cannot service BMWs over 10 years old.

EDIT: The dealer is BMW Motorcycles of Vancouver, WA; part of Pro Caliber Motorsports.

I pointed out to the service manager that I bought this bike at their dealership (used) and I’ve had work done on it by their BMW-trained mechanic; he responded their relationship with BMW has changed with regards to service & recalls.

Of course like many other places this is a “Powersports” dealer that sells/services various makes of toys like Yamaha, Kawasaki and Indian. They took on BMW about 3 to 4 years ago if memory serves...

This is disappointing because it was only a 45 minute trip from my house to this shop; the next closest BMW dealers are over two hours one-way.

I actually mentioned their BMW tech in another thread here. I'd say the service manager is wrong. Did you talk to Shawn about it?

Their BMW tech has a YT channel and I would say he knows his stuff. I'd bet it was a top down decision made without thinking about it.

I am very familiar with both the Tigard and Eugene dealerships...As a matter fact one of the owners went to Purdue where I went to school.

Normally taking a day or two off to go riding and getting a bike fixed is something I look forward to considering how busy I am at work, but this time of year the daylight hours are shorter, and the weather is colder and wetter even though I have the equipment for it.

Yes, I know Shawn in Vancouver and plan on engaging him in a conversation. He’s the one that worked with me when I did the ASC retrofit on my 2009 RT... walked him through a couple procedures in ISTA-P he was unfamiliar with... he’s a great guy and I’d let him work on my bike any day of the week - if they would actually book my bike for an appointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

I see it with Harley Davidson shops. It simply comes down to economics. The dealer can keep his service department busy working on "new" motorcycles, why work on older machines. Keep in mind we are dealing with a employee crunch in various trades. People just don't want to get dirty. It is difficult to find good employees, let alone finding a qualified BMW tech. (And worse yet at what the pathetic hourly rate some employers will pay!)

My cousin was so pissed at the local HD dealer he sold his Harley and bought a BMW. Truth be told, his Harley was a POS, the very reason the dealer would draw the line at roughly ten year old and newer. I looked at this Harley after he asked me if I would fix it, even I wouldn't touch it. He got pissed at me when I told him it needed a ground up restoration or scrap it out! Oils leaks, frayed wiring, I could go on.

But this example is why the dealer just draws a line in the sand and says nothing older than ten years old. They don't work on someone's basket case and deal with motorcycles that are not worth fixing.

Last edited:
This is just wrong. The owner of an 11 year old “premium” machine should be able to readily have the safety recall performed by any authorized dealer and not have to worry about his ride going up in flames with a known and recognized fuel system defect.

What will happen to all those expensive bikes with TFTs and wonderwheels and active suspension when they pass the 10 year old mark? Without access to the dealership computer, who will be able to troubleshoot and repair them? Are the new machines now to be considered disposable after 10 years?

At a Cummins repair facility-(recently)

Me- Hi, I have a Dodge pickup with the 6B Cummins and I would like to have all the injector lines replaced.

Service writer- We don't work on any of those trucks past 2006....we don't have the software for the computer.....we don't... Blah... Blah... Blah.....

Me- Should be fine, this is an "03.

Service writer- Well you will have to bring in in for a diagnostic.

Me- All set, I want all the lines replaced.....Already did the diagnostic.

Service writer- You still have to bring it in for a diagnostic.

Me- I guess you don't need the work.

I guess I will have to do it myself. :dunno

OM

I understand some of the dealer’s issues as you describe but does not remove him from the obligation of servicing older models. He/she should make adjustments and accommodations in order to do the work. I ran a bicycle shop for a few years and similar issues although on a much smaller and far less technical scale. There are bike shops who refuse to work on old bikes and tandems which is their choice. We made adjustments to our paperwork flow, ordering, and the storing of the bikes in order for us to efficiently work on them.

This is a lazy dealer that is only looking at the bottom line. It comes down to the goals, vision, and leadership of management.

Back