• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member with K1300GT Tupelo MS

Hey guys, here's who i am. I am 68Years old ,retired truck driver. I live out in the country about 25 miles south of Tupelo Mississippi 6 miles off the Natchez Trace Parkway. Still do a little work driving from time to time. I am a Singer/Songwriter/Musician/Entertainer specializing in slide guitar blues, Lap Steel, folk, and Americana style music. Don't perform much anymore but i do occasionally perform solo at festivals, parties, and small venues close by. I have been riding since 1969, got my first Harley in high school, built my first ground up custom bike when i was 19. I have owned many bikes over the years, Honda, BSA, Norton, Yamaha, Harley Davidsons and rode by my calculations several hundreds of thousands of miles. I am a long time member of a large club and, although we are a Harley only club you can ride what you want within reason(nothing from Japan). Several brothers i know had bought BMW's and one had a K1300S which i took a liking to so i started doing research and settled on a K1300GT instead of the K1300S. A later model K1600GT was not to my liking. Found a K1300GT Premium with fairly low miles (21,000) and most importantly past the 18,000 mile service. Yes! I did my homework well. It had some some nice additions like Estrada pegs, top case, clear headlight cover, a louder horn, seats reworked with memory foam, Cee Bailey windshield, handlebar riser setbacks, and the Wunderlich clear fairing side pieces. Bought it about a year ago and even with Covid and still owning three Harleys i managed to put 6000 miles on it. Well that's about it. Like i said i'm off the Natchez Trace. It's a great road to ride from end to end. Here's a pic of the bike like it was when i bought it. i've changed some things around since then.

Attachments

• 20200312_154400_Burst01.jpg
    20200312_154400_Burst01.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 60
Welcome to the MOA Dave.
My wife and I used to own K1300S bikes. Great engine.

Welcome Aboard TruckerDave!
It's sounding like you're pleased with your newest acquisition! Good choice for a longtime HD fanatic.. :thumb
Always good to have options when you're ready to ride with your cohorts or by yourself...

We're over here in Huntsville (having retired from MD/DC). We're enjoying life with this Rocket City NASA-appeal. We're now embedded with two m/c groups including the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthAlabamaVintageMotorcycleClub/ and we're now on the BoD of the AlaBeemers. We do have members as far away as LA & MS & TN & NC & GA, so keep an eye out if I post any rides you might find interesting... Due to covid, our first 'scheduled' gathering in 2021 will be over your way at Joe Wheeler State Park, 21-23 May.
https://www.bmwmoal.org

Be safe and be conspicuous - Happy Trails!
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Looks like me and the bike will be taking a trip to Alabama soon as it warms up a little. I got a letter today saying the fuel pump recall is ready. Near as i can tell the closest BMW Motorrad dealer is either Huntsville or Birmingham.

Looks like me and the bike will be taking a trip to Alabama soon as it warms up a little. I got a letter today saying the fuel pump recall is ready. Near as i can tell the closest BMW Motorrad dealer is either Huntsville or Birmingham.

When you decide on the dealer you'll go to, call and ask to have them run your VIN. If you have any outstanding recalls they can get the part ordered and do the work in one visit.

Additionally, Dave, we are less than ecstatic about BMW 'Service' at the HSV dealership, but it is still good to have an actual store in our neighborhood for non-critical requests. We actually now get our newer bikes serviced by "fully qualified" BMW techs by appointment at Pandora's in Chattanooga. We've heard good vibes about the Nashville dealership too! Maybe you should investigate what the situation is in B'ham or Nashville... Keep asking pertinent questions. Better to Learn Sooner rather than when it's Too Late... :brow
Ciao! HSV-Phil

Thanks for the info guys, i'm going to do a litte research on the dealers. The three closest ones are birmingham, huntsville, and memphis. I ran the VIN when i first got it and there were no outstanding recalls. I looked to see if the cam chain jump guard was on there with my own eyeballs. It was.

Here's a few pics of the 2009 XR1200. It's about the most un-harley ever made. I've changed a few things to make it more functional and upped the HP. It has about 90 HP at the rear wheel which is pretty respectable for a Sportster but then again the motor is more Buell than Sportster. I bought it about 10 years ago with 1100 miles on it.

Attachments

• DSC00116.jpg
    DSC00116.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 17
I might add that this particular bike had to be hauled back home once when the stator burned out 100 miles from home. Sportsters have a 2 phase alternator which is not known for it's reliability or power output. I installed a Cycle Electric 3 phase kit and it will power all 3 articles of my Gerbing Heated clothing with voltage to spare. The heated gear is probably what caused the stock stator to fail.

Back