• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alternator Dead and Gone

Milo172
This is a long and sad story that began on a pleasant ride in September.
My Bike: 2014 R1200RT purchased new with 55,000 miles currently on the ODO.
Additional electrical components: Clearwater Darla lights
Symptom of problem: no physical warning, just two lit icon in the dash; a yellow triangle with a ! in it, and a half yellow battery image
this translates to "Onboard system voltage critical"

Thankfully, the RT got me home before dying completely. I then started a diagnostic search for the problem, first replacing the battery with a new one hoping the current battery had a dead cell... the problem remained. Next I started to look for the 50 amp fuse that protects the charging system. A friend of mine had given me a spare 50 amp fuse saying I may need it one day; alas after spending hours searching for the 50 amp fuse, during which I removed almost all of the body panels, I discovered through various sources that there is no fuse in the early 2014 RT's... why? I have no idea.

Further investigation pointed to a dead short in the stator and this proved to be the case. the only solution is to replace the entire alternator, which resides inside of the engine.

I can tell you... it is very expensive. Just the parts are over $1000.00

So, am I the only one that has experienced this alternator failure? Have other RT's suffered this problem?

The situation is much more involved than I have stated here, but that is another story.

Second one I read about this week. Was it you OldCamper saying you did for friend? Crazy amount of labor if it requires cracking the engine case. Sorry bud!

Knew the F-twins had early model issues, hadn’t heard of any failures around here on Wetheads

There were a few threads last year on dead alternators on early wetheads, here and on the bmwlt forum. I believe the stator was upgraded sometimes in the spring of 2014. So you won't find many with that issue.
One of them was due to a loose bolt that shorted the stator.
Also one tried an aftermarket stator that turned out not to work so I would stay away from cheap ones. You could have yours rebuilt but then you would still have the old model.

Second one I read about this week. Was it you OldCamper saying you did for friend? Crazy amount of labor if it requires cracking the engine case. Sorry bud!

Knew the F-twins had early model issues, hadn’t heard of any failures around here on Wetheads

From the GSA life expectancy thread-

Check the build date. If it is before may 2014, it has the early stator that has had a higher than normal failure rate. I changed one last summer on 2014 RT. $250 for an aftermarket part and 18 hours to replace since you have to remove the motor and trans to split them.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?99305-Life-expectancy-on-a-GSA
OM

Back