• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R75/6 Left Rear Bottom Shock Bolt

dezbrown

I've been getting to know my new-to-me '74 R75 for a couple months now. The PO's parting words as I rode away were "you should get some new shocks on there ASAP". Boy, was he right! I installed a set of Ikons and it's made everything feel much more planted. I did, however, discover that he had used a non-OEM bolt in the lower left shock mount position. It's part # 33531230249 and it's no longer available. The bolt he used is short enough that the nut only grabs 4-5 threads and he didn't use a nylock nut. This being a fairly important spot to be well tied-together, I'd like to get the right nut and bolt in there. Anybody know where to find one? Motor Works UK has them listed used on their website, but I'd like to get one from closer to home if possible. The impression I've been given is that I shouldn't use anything but the OEM item in this location. Is that right?

I'd check with the independent shock suppliers like Ted Porter in NorCal and Tom Cutter in PA. They might be able to source it for you.

Of course there is McMaster Carr if you know the specs for the bolt you need.

As long as you can get the same grade of bolt in the thread and length you need it will be fine. It has to fit fairly snug in the bushing of the shock, which can sometimes be an issue with a non original bolt. I would think any grade 5 bolt would work fine in that location.

The “correct” nut and bolt are shallow so as to not interfere with removing the wheel, and are also fine thread. Last I knew, BMW was selling a black bolt and a nyloc nut that looked like it came from the hardware store. I think they were even different thread pitch.

I also don't think that the original had a Nyloc nut. Rather, it was a narrow nut with a spring washer.

The bolt may not be available, but they do show 2 different nuts for the application , one self locking and another which may be the narrow width one which is available, so I would get the narrow nut as it is on the inside where clearance is needed.

Thanks for the ideas, y'all. If the nut is supposed to be narrow, perhaps I've got the right bolt, but an aftermarket nut. Maybe those few threads are all that's needed to keep it all together? It hasn't fallen off yet, anyhow!

Lower shock bolt

The lower shock mount bolt is a 10X35 with a 1.0 thread pitch. Nothing special. You probably wont find a 10mm bolt with a 1.0 tp in a hardware store but one with a 1.25 tp would be easy to find. lock nut was a 5mm thin nut with a wave washer behind it. If you want to put a nylon lock nut on it just get a 10X40 bolt.

The lower shock mount bolt is a 10X35 with a 1.0 thread pitch. Nothing special. You probably wont find a 10mm bolt with a 1.0 tp in a hardware store but one with a 1.25 tp would be easy to find. lock nut was a 5mm thin nut with a wave washer behind it. If you want to put a nylon lock nut on it just get a 10X40 bolt.

Be sure there isn't a clearance problem. I read (on the internet of course) that that is the reason for the thin nut.

Back