• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Quality - Wheel Bearings '04 RT

RPGR90s

I'm doing some preventative maintenance on my 2004 RT (110k miles) during the cold winter.

I've thought about replacing the front wheel bearings for a few years now as they are not serviceable and are original.

So I got the new bearings and set about pulling the old ones out. No problems.

What surprised me is that the original bearings roll and feel as perfect as the new ones and probably didn't need replacing. (but I replaced anyway)

Very pleased with the quality though and wanted to share.

RPGR90s

Last edited:
I'm doing some preventative maintenance on my 2004 RT (110k miles) during the cold winter.

I've thought about replacing the front wheel for a few years now as they are not serviceable and are original.

So I got the new bearings and set about pulling the old ones out. No problems.

What surprised me is that the original bearings roll and feel as perfect as the new ones and probably didn't need replacing. (but I replaced anyway)

Very pleased with the quality though and wanted to share.

RPGR90s

We have gotten more than 100,000 miles on the factory installed front wheel bearings on several motorcycles: a couple of K75s, a couple of R1100RSs, and an R1150R for sure, and maybe another K75 or so. These are all post top-hat and wedding band versions in Airheads though.

We have gotten more than 100,000 miles on the factory installed front wheel bearings on several motorcycles: a couple of K75s, a couple of R1100RSs, and an R1150R for sure, and maybe another K75 or so. These are all post top-hat and wedding band versions in Airheads though.

Good to know Paul, I've got 145k on the oem bearings on my R90s. Just routine greasing every 4-5 years.

They last a very long time.
I changed mine out at 161,000 miles.
No detectable issues with the originals. (now emergency spares I'll never use)
I did carefully pull the seals and add a smear of bearing grease at about 100k.
I have yet to see a bad set on any 1100/1150 I've worked on.

My '03 has about 68k miles. On every tire change I stick my fingers into the bearings and try to detect any wiggle. Then with my fingers still in the bearings I give the wheel a spin while holding it off the ground and feel for anything that is not silky smoothness. Is that a sufficient test?

My '03 has about 68k miles. On every tire change I stick my fingers into the bearings and try to detect any wiggle. Then with my fingers still in the bearings I give the wheel a spin while holding it off the ground and feel for anything that is not silky smoothness. Is that a sufficient test?

Yes. If the bearing is going bad you can feel it and maybe even hear it.

Several years ago, I hit something one night, no idea what it was, but it left a small dent in my front wheel.
When I got home, I spun the wheel and heard something other than brake drag.
It was about time for a tire change anyway, so I pulled the wheel a few days later...
By "finger spin", the glitch in the bearing was pretty obvious.

wheel bearings

On my 1998 1100rt/p in the rain on the highway doing 70+ I felt my front end doing goofy things.At closer inspection the seal was gone,the cage completely gone and all the balls bunched up together.When I removed the bearing looking at the remaining inside seal it said "Made in Taiwan"I contacted BMW Berlin inquiring about the bearing and they confirmed using such bearings from Taiwan.I was disappointed to say the least.Bike had only 56k on the clock.

Back