• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Announcing BMW MOA 2021 Grand Coddiwomple!

gregfeeler

Dances With Sheep
All,
Below is the announcement article for a new BMW MOA riding event called The Grand Coddiwomple, which will appear in the February issues of the Owners News. Note that although this is open only to BMW MOA members you can still register and indicate that you would like to join the MOA! Registration is actually open now at www.bmwmoa.org/coddiwomple. The Rules and Challenges are viewable there and you can download a copy.

The Grand Coddiwomple!

The BMW MOA is excited to announce a new riding event for 2021 open only to MOA members: The Grand Coddiwomple!

What is a coddiwomple, you ask? Well, the word coddiwomple means to “travel in a purposeful manner toward a vague destination.” So, “The Grand Coddiwomple” is a large-scale scavenger hunt created to give MOA members opportunities to ride their motorcycles while searching for specific items in order to accumulate points, receive recognition and have loads of fun! Basically, you get to ride your bike to various physical locations called “Challenges,” then provide proof you were there by taking a photo of your bike, the Challenge location, and your individually numbered Grand Coddiwomple flag. Each Challenge carries a point value and while some you can only complete once, others have no limit.

Riders can earn Completion status relatively easily, even with limited riding time, though accumulating many points or even winning is of course more challenging.

Riders will only need 300 points to complete The Grand Coddiwomple, which will not only earn you bragging rights and a Certificate of Completion suitable for framing, but also a commemorative pin. Riders can go well beyond 300 points, and the rider with the highest point total will be named the winner and receive a special award of recognition. There will also be prize pools for those with the highest point totals. See the Sections 12 and 13 in the Rules document for details. Though there is a competitive element anytime a score is kept and there will be some drawings, The Grand Coddiwomple is not just about competition or prizes. Rather, it’s about all the places you will go and the fun things you will do that you may not have done otherwise. Participating riders will get to choose their own Challenges to complete, plan their own routes and set their own schedule. The purpose of The Grand Coddiwomple is to have fun riding your motorcycle!

Once you register, you will receive your uniquely numbered 2021 Coddiwomple flag and a sticker. As described in the rules, for most Challenges you will need to take a picture of the Challenge object with your bike and your flag clearly displayed. You will then post your pictures on a photo sharing site and email a link to the photo with a description of the Challenge you are claiming.

The Challenges will get you traveling, but some will also require some thought and creativity. This year the overall theme is based on the slogan and location of the 2021 BMW MOA Rally in Great Falls, Montana. The “Gold, Saddle Up and Ride Challenge” will earn you 200 points by spelling out the words “SADDLE UP AND RIDE” using the first letter of different place names. Another Challenge worth 50 points each requires a photo of a place name which includes the word “Falls.” Riders can also earn 50 points by somehow depicting the phrase, “Falling in Love!”

Grand Coddiwomple rules and Challenges are fully spelled out on the Coddiwomple registration website at bmwmoa.org/coddiwomple. This event runs from April 1, 2021, through October 31, 2021, with registration opening on February 2, 2021. Participation is limited to the first 1,000 entrants, so register early to ensure your place and to receive your flag by the April 1 start date.

Have fun planning your ride and riding your plan! It’s The Grand Coddiwomple!

Last edited:
Looks interesting Greg....
We can see what kind of interest the event gathers here in Motorrad.....From both Members and Guests.
OM

I did. Screen went blank, then reappeared without my information.

After reading the requirements I’m hoping the little town of Chicopee Falls, MA has a sign somewhere.

Thanks for putting this together!

Great graphic too!

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 5.03.40 PM.png

Last edited:
I did. Screen went blank, then reappeared without my information.

After reading the requirements I’m hoping the little town of Chicopee Falls, MA has a sign somewhere.

Thanks for putting this together!

Yeah, that part of the registration is a bit odd. There is actually a message which displays after you click "SUBMIT" thanking you for registering, but on most screens you have to scroll down to see it.

The team who worked on this really hope everyone has a lot of fun doing this. That's the entire purpose!

I am in.

Missed the registration confirmation.

Thank you all, especially Team Strange.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

I am in.

Missed the registration confirmation.

Thank you all, especially Team Strange.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

There is a conformation message displayed but it's shows in the middle of the page and you have to scroll down to see it, and there's no indication you should do so. We're working on a change.

Just so's you know, Team Strange allowed us to use any wording in our Rules which was the same or similar to their copyrighted Rules, which we very much appreciate. They are a good crew. However, the Coddiwomple is a "made by the MOA" production. :)

Registered! same experience as ExGMan but I'll take it on faith I just missed the acknowledgment. Looking forward to this. Seems like a great idea.

Yeah, that part of the registration is a bit odd. There is actually a message which displays after you click "SUBMIT" thanking you for registering, but on most screens you have to scroll down to see it.

The team who worked on this really hope everyone has a lot of fun doing this. That's the entire purpose!

Yeah, I didn't get a confirmation either... Hopefully, an email will arrive confirming...

I registered last night and was kind of concerned when the blank page reappeared after I hit Submit. After reading all the similar accounts here I'm not as concerned any more. Looking forward to a great challenge!

Changes were made today so that once you hit "SUMIT" a conformation screen displays after a short delay. You will also receive a conformation email. We got a lot of registrations today, which is encouraging given that the February ON has yet to start hitting mail boxes. :dance

@GregFeeler - would it be possible to get some sort of confirmation email if you signed up before that was automatic? I'd hate to miss out thinking I'd registered successfully, but having not received a confirmation on the page or in email, I feel like I should go and re-submit...

Back