Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noise in NY

Noise in NY

New York — A bill signed into law today by Gov. Kathy Hochul aims to cut down on illegal, noisy modifications to mufflers and exhaust systems on vehicles.

The law raises penalties for motorists and repair shops that make the modifications, according to Hochul’s office. The maximum fine is now $1,000, an increase of $850.

Th law also requires inspection stations to check motorcycles for illegal modifications.

The article goes on but thanks to a bunch of jerks, we have a new bill on the horizon. Loud pipes save lives, they also peeve people off and end up hurting the rest of the motorcycle community. St.

I went to bed a law abiding citizen and woke up a criminal.

What are illegal modifications?

This whole pooch got screwed when Governor Schwartzenegger failed to adopt the AMA's simple SAE-based noise measurement process. Now, no one else will.

Ian

Loud noise

Not only does loud exhaust annoy me, but tires you out quicker on long rides, causes irreperable damage to your hearing, is offensive to others and scares children!
    As far as a safety practice goes, I've yet to see any viable report that it saves lives.
    Boxerbruce

Up to now, its been a literal 2 minute safety check believe it or not. Now the Staintune pipe which came with my bike, and seemed like such a pleasant surprise, is going to be a problem. Here’s an easy prediction, there’s going to be a run on stock pipes.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Loud pipes save lives...
    No, they don't.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I think everyone can calm down. It appears that as of June, there were 384,622 motorcycles registered in New York. HD has about half the market- "generally speaking". Most of the "louder" bikes I hear seem to be HD. Pretty sure changing the minds of a 100,000 or so HD riders can't effectively be legislated.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I think everyone can calm down. It appears that as of June, there were 384,622 motorcycles registered in New York. HD has about half the market- "generally speaking". Most of the "louder" bikes I hear seem to be HD. Pretty sure changing the minds of a 100,000 or so HD riders can't effectively be legislated.
    OM
    Maybe, maybe not. Hitting them with a $1000 fine will certainly get some attention when the fines for ignoring the first fine start adding up.

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Hitting them with a $1000 fine will certainly get some attention when the fines for ignoring the first fine start adding up.
    I agree. I don't care what they are thinking, I just want them to stop making excessive noise. I live in an area where jackasses who think they invented loud pipes are a frequent annoyance. I wish our cops would do something about it.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Enforcement

First of all, I want to write this is a foolish bill that should never have been considered but for a few jerks not only on bikes but pickup trucks, import cars and high performance cars, it is being considered. Common sense should be the rule of any society, I have said it before in past postings all it takes is one do gooder to put their oar in the water and bad things happen for a lot of people.

Loud pipes are one of the banes of my life where I live along with the now rampant ignoring of posted speed limits. I am so sorry we as motorcyclists can't convince the jerks with the loud pipes the folly of their ways, their egos are too big to be educated.

If it is passed and to be honest I think it has been, it will now have to be enforced. Sadly, like the people routinely speeding past my house, there is not enough law officers to enforce it properly.

We are reaching a point in time where motorcycles may become outright banned for what ever reason. I am happy to say I see many of the BMW community feel the same as I do and respect others. Sadly the brush paints us as well.

It will be interesting to see how this washes out in a few years. St.

Loud pipes DON'T save lives, they also peeve people off and end up hurting the rest of the motorcycle community. St.
    Sadly the brush paints us as well. St.

You are exactly right. Now maybe if we can quiet the offenders down we can keep our sport alive and well a whole lot longer. Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You are exactly right. Now maybe if we can quiet the offenders down we can keep our sport alive and well a whole lot longer. Bring it on.
    Possible could start with those that are charged with enforcing noise limits quiet their bikes down a bit?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Huh?

Possible could start with those that are charged with enforcing noise limits quiet their bikes down a bit?

Sorry, I don't get this? I have county and local police riding Harley police bikes, they are relatively quiet as they are stock exhaust, not much louder than a BMW. Same goes for the LEO cars and trucks. Oh the fire department vehicles are a bit loud but they are not on the road much.

Electric bikes will take care of the noise, of course maybe the loud pipe people will install speakers to make the noise they love to get the attention they crave. St.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    The New York law does not require anything that isn't already required by Federal law. But, what it does do is put in place an enforcement mechanism through annual inspections. It in effect puts the boots on the ground. Very few US Attorneys are likely to enforce the Federal regulations in effect for many years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Sorry, I don't get this? I have county and local police riding Harley police bikes, they are relatively quiet as they are stock exhaust, not much louder than a BMW. Same goes for the LEO cars and trucks. Oh the fire department vehicles are a bit loud but they are not on the road much.

Electric bikes will take care of the noise, of course maybe the loud pipe people will install speakers to make the noise they love to get the attention they crave. St.
    Their personal motorcycles.

As an aside, you can use the “quote” feature rather than cut-‘n-paste. Really helps with clarity
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200