• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250R 2020 Windshield protection

R1250r20

Hi Everyone.
I traded in my 2018 GSA, miss it. But now I have a 2020 R1250r and I like the change. It doesn't do as good of a job with roads like the westside highway
but for my commute to work, it's lighter and I can squeeze by some of the backup traffic once in a while.
I have installed some risers and Handguard protection, but when I get over 65mph the wind on my chest is too much, Has anyone found
a great windshield for this bike.?
Thank you and be safe out there.
Antonio

Sadly, no. I tried the Puig and V-Stream. Both produced buffeting that I couldn't live with. I have the OEM high screen which is adequate but not great. BTW, I'm 5'11", 29" inseam.

There is a lot of trial and error involved in finding the right screen for the R... there are 3 or 4 threads on the R1200RForum where people have tried upwards of 4 or 5 screens.

Mine came with a National Cycles V-Stream touring shield, about the biggest screen you can get for these. I ended up cutting it down to between their Sport-Tour and Sport screen heights and adding a vent just above the gauge cluster, and it's almost right now. There is some occasional buffeting that only seems to happen on two-lane 45+ mph roads with a little traffic, so I'm thinking of adding a Laminar lip.

After the cut-down, the breeze is mid-way up my helmet, but a fairly smooth flow of air.

I'm 5'10"+, 32"+ inseam, stock seat, pegs, and bars on a 2016R.

Note: If I were buying a screen today, I would look first at the CalSci.

I traded my 2016 GS for a 2020 R1250R and am very happy with the move. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and got the VStream Sport/Tour shield.

I get no buffeting and can ride all day with it. If I was going to use this bike for touring I would buy the bigger touring screen because I feel wind coming from the side of the windshield which causes some wind noise even with full face Shoei and ear plugs.

I commute daily 70 miles round trip along with 200+ mile spirited weekend rides for breakfast. No issue whatsoever with the Sport/Tour windshield.

I traded my 2016 GS for a 2020 R1250R and am very happy with the move. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and got the VStream Sport/Tour shield.

I get no buffeting and can ride all day with it. If I was going to use this bike for touring I would buy the bigger touring screen because I feel wind coming from the side of the windshield which causes some wind noise even with full face Shoei and ear plugs.

I commute daily 70 miles round trip along with 200+ mile spirited weekend rides for breakfast. No issue whatsoever with the Sport/Tour windshield.

Getting the taller shield won't help with the side wind, what I've read others have done was to move the mirrors either back or forward as far as possible, as that seems to be one of the things that cause noise with a shield.

The trouble I had with the V-Stream full tour was a down-and-forward pressure on my helmet...

If there is a fitment of the MRA Vario Touring screen for the R1250R, I'm willing to bet you a cheeseburger (a good one) that it is the bomb, on that bike. I have had this design on several bikes over the past 15 years, including my current S1000XR... have yet to experience better.

With a quick search, it appears there is - HERE

The MRA also gets mixed reviews on the R1200RForum. Some like it some hate it... :(

The R is kinda weird, and whether a screen works or not is a very individual thing on this model. Some have reported success with aftermarket mirrors, I ended up customizing the V-Stream.

126962345_10223629988358309_8797605895655699212_o.jpg

Getting the taller shield won't help with the side wind, what I've read others have done was to move the mirrors either back or forward as far as possible, as that seems to be one of the things that cause noise with a shield.

The trouble I had with the V-Stream full tour was a down-and-forward pressure on my helmet...
Thanks for the info! I had a 2010 R1200R with the touring windshield and I got absolutely no wind noise. The R1250R must have some different dimensions.

wind blast

Wind blast is something I have been seeking simple answer to as well. I'm 69 years old, have MS and a really worn out set of vertabral disks, actually they are totally shot. So it's nice not to have my head rotating like Linda Blair on a windy day or at higher highway speeds.

2 years on the R1200R, and I have tried 4 screens.

Started with the OEM Sport Screeen, then a Puig, a Vario with spoiler , and a BMW Mid-Height touring screen.

Verdict?

It's the HELMET, not the screen that makes the most difference.

I'm 5'7", and after playing around with all the above screens, the OEM Sport Screen with a Schuberth C4 seems to be the least "yanky" at high speeds. (like over 80mph)
Oddly enough, NO Screen at all, works pretty well, too, as long as the helmet has good drag-co-efficiency. (slippery in the wind)

Back