• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HWY 1 near Big Sur washed out by major storm event, again

From the drone shots it does look like a 10 mph bypass can be graded-in uphill. Long term will be long term and mega dollars. Cliffs are hard to replace and the drainage issue is still there unless they build a huge passageway to divert all the water under the roadway.

Cliffs are hard to replace.

And the TV shows they were in....as well :brad

Cliff_Clavin_posing_in_%22Please_Mr_Postman%22.png

OM

From the drone shots it does look like a 10 mph bypass can be graded-in uphill. Long term will be long term and mega dollars. Cliffs are hard to replace and the drainage issue is still there unless they build a huge passageway to divert all the water under the roadway.

Looks like a small stream (Rat Creek) had a path under CA1 at the point of the destruction. Heavy rains draining down Rat Creek into the Pacific overwhelmed the drainage channel.

From the NYTimes: "Five to 10 inches of rain fell near the site where the highway collapsed. That region was parched after an unseasonably dry winter, and that section of the road, on a part of the road called the Cabrillo Highway was within the burn scar of the Dolan fire which ravaged the area last summer...The cost of repairs was originally estimated at $5 million but that was before workers discovered that both lanes had collapsed."

Seems they closed that section of the road on Tuesday (1/26), and on Friday (1/29) they discovered that both lanes had collapsed.

Here's a link to drone video of the site: https://nyti.ms/2YwB1t0

For those who have not ridden on CA1, here's a look at the terrain a few miles north of the latest breach:

IMG_1635-2.jpg

Last edited:
Being in California, there will have to be every study performed known to man, before any permit is approved.
I'm sure the new work will have to have a sign: Caution could cause cancer or birth defects in the State of California.
This repair could take a long long time, I'll have to pull out the map and see the way around this wash out.
My son and I drove Hwy 1 from San Diego to Oregon in Aug 2019 and were hoping to do it again soon. The Redwood forests north of here are a truly amazing place! That entire California Hwy 1 drive is great. Lots of stuff to stop and see. Lots of things to do.
Nick

Thank you for posting that Steve. It gives some idea of the complexity of the project now, and when they built the road 90 years ago. It is one of the great rides in California.

I would like to ride that road someday.
As for the repair, it seems sheet piling driven to refusal with some whalers would get things back open until a more permanent solution can be figured. :dunno
OM

Judging from that article, planning a shortened ride to include the Nacimiento-Fergusson road to/from the 101 will have to wait until it's cleaned up.

If I have the location right it looks like visiting Big Sur from the Los Osos Getaway in May would entail a long ride inland a bit to hook around from the north. Did I get that right?

Pete

If I have the location right it looks like visiting Big Sur from the Los Osos Getaway in May would entail a long ride inland a bit to hook around from the north. Did I get that right?

Pete

Looks like around 320 miles one way from Los Osos to Carmel to Big Sur.

Used to be some great places to get breakfast in Carmel when we lived there long ago. You could do worse.

Caltrans just announced that Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) at the Rat Creek slide is expected to reopen April 30, two months ahead of schedule. That means the entire length of the PCH should be open, so start planning your trips!:clap:clap:clap

:dance:dance:dance

Back