• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Staintune closed and up for auction

Australia is a long way from major motorcycle markets. That always impacted their pricing and was likely a contributing factor, along with very active competition from Remus and Akropovic. Hate to see them go—the Staintune on my K1200GT has served me very well.

Best,
DeVern

Anti-noise legislation may also be a factor. I believe it is actually illegal in some countries to run a non-oem exhaust system due to noise concerns. A quieter world is probably a better place to live.

Australia is a long way from major motorcycle markets. That always impacted their pricing and was likely a contributing factor, along with very active competition from Remus and Akropovic. Hate to see them go—the Staintune on my K1200GT has served me very well.

Best,
DeVern

The only Staintune I had came on a K100 I had years ago. But, after reading airfilter and exhaust the dyno tests of a K100 on the IBMWR tech pages (which showed that a K100 have a smother power curve with the stock muffler compared to a Staintune), I never sought one out again for a classic K.

The only Staintune I had came on a K100 I had years ago. But, after reading airfilter and exhaust the dyno tests of a K100 on the IBMWR tech pages (which showed that a K100 have a smother power curve with the stock muffler compared to a Staintune), I never sought one out again for a classic K.

I believe their pipe worked much better on the K12 bricks, likely due to overall improvements BMW had made to fueling and ignition electronics. Even with the stock pipes on both, the K12 had a smoother and more uniform power delivery than my K100RS. The Staintune offered lighter weight and eliminated an annoying vibration in the 4100-4300rpm range. The change in shape made rear wheel removal a snap, even when running a car tire, and a much better sound. That said, I think some of the pipes that were developed after the Staintune design was locked in were better pipes; Remus being probably the best example.

Best,
DeVern

I believe their pipe worked much better on the K12 bricks, likely due to overall improvements BMW had made to fueling and ignition electronics. Even with the stock pipes on both, the K12 had a smoother and more uniform power delivery than my K100RS. The Staintune offered lighter weight and eliminated an annoying vibration in the 4100-4300rpm range. The change in shape made rear wheel removal a snap, even when running a car tire, and a much better sound. That said, I think some of the pipes that were developed after the Staintune design was locked in were better pipes; Remus being probably the best example.

Best,
DeVern

I put a Remus on my K1200RS at about 7,000 miles and it upped my mileage around 3+ miles per gallon, eliminated that vibration you mentioned at 4,100 to 4.300 RPM, and it was about 12 lbs. lighter. Plus, the deep throaty (but not loud) sound was musical to my ears. I've only seen a couple of Staintunes on any of the K1200 bikes.

Industry stalwart Staintune Exhausts is close and up for auction.

This is bad... they made the best cannisters, collectors and headers you could get.

My 1150's Staintune is 20 years old, 125k miles and is in perfect condition. I keep the cork in mine so the sound is completely responsible.

Below is pretty typical of the treatment it has received throughout its life. When you wash it off it looks like new.

IMG_7931-X3.jpg

Back