• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dreaming of Trans Taiga

skibum69

slave to gravity
Sooooo...I get home yesterday from being gone for a week of work and get into a conversation with the missus and she tells me I need to think about a ride I want to do to fill my soul.

Immediately I think of Africa with RTWPaul but in Covid times I quickly pulled back to wanting to try for Tuktoyaktuk again and then the Trans Taiga crawled in there.

I have been wanting to ride the TT for many years and haven’t managed to put it together. I think 2021 might be the right time!

So I tell the missus about this road and she comes back to say she wants me to find someone to ride with, as in she doesn’t want me to die alone in a ditch somewhere. Strange for me as pretty much all of my trips are solo.

So here I am throwing it out there looking for anyone that might be interested in going for that ride this summer. Anyone?

Last edited:
Thanks for putting that link up. One little relais about halfway. When you get to the end of the road you are the farthest from any community you can get to by road in North America. The road actually splits at the end to go to 2 different hydro plants.

A whole lot of nothing but rocks and trees. :ha

So here I am throwing it out there looking for anyone that might be interested in going for that ride this summer. Anyone?

Well, that road has been on my list of roads to ride, but it’s not happening for me this year. I’ll be lucky to catch up on the rides I had to cancel last year, and since one of those is overseas it’s still very much in doubt. 2022 looks more likely.

Good luck on the ride, take your time and enjoy it, and take lots of pictures. Especially of the rocks and trees. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

Crossing Newfoundland or Labrador is much the same, I am well familiar with rocks and trees. I do love being remote in the back of beyond. Skiing backcountry is like that, damn I miss being out there on a couple of planks!
PICT0377-XL.jpg

ADVrider is obviously the right spot as now I have 4 people interested in going. One cool thing about going up there is that it looks like we can dip our toes into Nunavut on the western edge of Fort George island. Looking at the tracks on satellite lighter off-road bikes will make the most sense.

I'm doing it last week of July . just 4 of us going, no more no less. It's easier with 6 to split the load of cooking gear and tools but 4 is the sweet spot for break downs. Everyone will have a sub-3 year old well maintained bike and everyone going I've traveled with before so I know they're self-sufficient.

The crew I'm talking to is definitely a little different, a bunch of different bikes and some not new. None of us has ever ridden together. 5 saying interested right now and that might be the limit. We'll see how it plays out with who can go and what covid etc is like.

I'm doing it last week of July . just 4 of us going, no more no less. It's easier with 6 to split the load of cooking gear and tools but 4 is the sweet spot for break downs. Everyone will have a sub-3 year old well maintained bike and everyone going I've traveled with before so I know they're self-sufficient.

Adam, how are you going to get across the closed border?

On the adventure guide page is says don't plan on fuel for thousand miles.
That's about 25+ gals in my book.
How could you bring that much gas?
Nick

Sooooo...I get home yesterday from being gone for a week of work and get into a conversation with the missus and she tells me I need to think about a ride I want to do to fill my soul.

Immediately I think of Africa with RTWPaul but in Covid times I quickly pulled back to wanting to try for Tuktoyaktuk again and then the Trans Taiga crawled in there.

I have been wanting to ride the TT for many years and haven’t managed to put it together. I think 2021 might be the right time!

So I tell the missus about this road and she comes back to say she wants me to find someone to ride with, as in she doesn’t want me to die alone in a ditch somewhere. Strange for me as pretty much all of my trips are solo.

Sounds like what my missus would say.

On the adventure guide page is says don't plan on fuel for thousand miles.
That's about 25+ gals in my book.
How could you bring that much gas?
Nick

was wondering the same thing. a thousand miles of fuel is a lot of fuel.

also too bad the return trip is just a reverse of the way in. 500 more miles of the same road just ridden.

was wondering the same thing. a thousand miles of fuel is a lot of fuel.

also too bad the return trip is just a reverse of the way in. 500 more miles of the same road just ridden.

Certain rider groups would have a sag-wagon to haul fuel. But here in the desert runners use an interesting strategy. One out-and-back runs they stash water as they go to use on the way back. Maybe some variation on this might be made to work.

Back