• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What happened to the forum today

Not exactly sure of the chain of events. It seemed to have started on the east coast.
My guess the outage triggered a server reboot.
OM

Attachments

• 50D3AE5F-2748-4211-92F7-759305142ACA.png
    50D3AE5F-2748-4211-92F7-759305142ACA.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
Same thing here. Said it was an unsecure site. Then my wife completely reboots, reinstall, reconfigure ect. Now I can't find anything with one click.

Thanks all for the many hours of stress

THANKS GUYS!!! You folks must've put in many hours of :scratch what in the world head scratchin. Thanks for your troubles.....God bless

There was a hardware failure yesterday on the server that houses the forum - similar to a bad hard drive, but more catastrophic than that. The hosting company replaced the hardware and it is back up and running today. A very rare occurrence with the hosting company that we use.

There was a hardware failure yesterday on the server that houses the forum - similar to a bad hard drive, but more catastrophic than that. The hosting company replaced the hardware and it is back up and running today. A very rare occurrence with the hosting company that we use.

In this day and age of virtual servers it seems odd that there isn't automatic failover redundancy for this type of failure.

My Norton application was giving me an unsafe site warning and prompting me to upgrade my security level. I declined...:)

As the problem progressed, what forum visitors saw kept changing. It seems the computers (browsers) are getting better at recognizing a “change” and adapting a “better safe than sorry” stance.
The cut fiber optic line and a hardware problem is a weird coincidence.
OM

That, vs a single served with data backup, is purely a matter of co$t probably.

Exactly. If money is not a problem you can have your online services hosted on multiple servers with real time mirroring and hot failover. One dies and there is barely a blip before another takes over. This is how the big boys do it. The MOA wouldn't have the budget for that level of uptime for something like the Forum. But, as we see, a single instance server with good support can be an acceptable risk.

Exactly. If money is not a problem you can have your online services hosted on multiple servers with real time mirroring and hot failover. One dies and there is barely a blip before another takes over. This is how the big boys do it. The MOA wouldn't have the budget for that level of uptime for something like the Forum. But, as we see, a single instance server with good support can be an acceptable risk.

Even a lot of the small shops do it now because the costs have come way down compared to what they used to be. My church which was also my employer before I retired last year could afford it and since I was in charge of their network for the last 20 years I made sure a hardware failure never resulted in the kind of down time just experienced.

Even a lot of the small shops do it now because the costs have come way down compared to what they used to be. My church which was also my employer before I retired last year could afford it and since I was in charge of their network for the last 20 years I made sure a hardware failure never resulted in the kind of down time just experienced.

Yes, this technology is far more affordable today, which a very good thing. :thumb

Back