• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

18" Rear Tire Size options-RT1100RT

dieselyoda

Looks like, in Canada at least, Covid-19 has had a negative influence on tire inventory.

I can't find much for 160/60R18 and none in a Michelin PR3.

Since I'm looking and want to keep my 120/70R17 matching the rear, I'm faced with 150/70R18 with the matching front.

The 150/70R18 is 0.70" taller, 0.40" narrower, but 2.2" longer in circumference.

Thoughts? Experience with other tire sizes?

Metzler option

I just put a Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on the rear of my R1100RT. I have a Bridgestone T31 on the front with only 2K miles on it. I know the tire companies want you to buy both from them. I was looking for longer tire life and the Z8 is a dual compound tire. Sticky on the side and tough down the center. It feels great. I don't hot rod anymore, so I've not pushed it and besides, it's winter here. I will admit that the Bridgestone on the front isn't as razor edged as the Michelin PRT4 that was on it when I bought it, but it's not sloppy either. Depending upon the mileage I get, I might just get a Z8 for the front next time.

I'm currently running a 150/70R18 on the rear of my 2000 RT. It's a Shinko 705 dual-sport tire. I have the matching front in the stock 120/70R17. So far, I really like the tires for winter use. I've had a couple to opportunities to push them in the curves on clean, dry pavement and am pleasantly surprised how well they handle. They also do well on gravel, dirt & the occasional slushy roads that are common here in central Ohio this time of year.

I don't seem to notice any negatives to the slightly narrower, taller rear tire-YMMV.

Cheers!
-Art

Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact - more info

OK, I've had the Z8 tire on the rear for a few hundred miles. Love the feeling. Very predictable. I'm aware that it's a dual compound with the tough stuff in the center with the sticky stuff on the edges. Be aware that I don't hot rod anymore and won't be pushing any tire. Mostly I'm hoping to get a long life with very good traction on dry and wet surfaces. I'm running a Bridgestone Battlax T31 on the front.

Amazon currently has in stock, the Pirelli Angel GT Rear (160/60ZR18) and matching front (120/70ZR17 A-Spec) tires.

I have run this tire for several years making trips from Mississippi to Canada on multiple occasions and really like this tire.

Back