• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Country Road On An Airhead

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Last week I rode the 95RT 500+ miles, mostly in 2nd - 4th gear. I love to putter along the tiny roads alongside the Ohio river, which is nearby. Those roads are mostly 1-lane asphalt, but also included about 40 miles of gravel last week. I rode about 75 miles along the river, on the Kentucky and the Indiana sides, with goal of staying as close to the river as possible. If the asphalt road began to drift from the river, I took gravel roads to stay closer to it. The temps were perfect, in the 30s and 40s. Lots of neat stuff to see along the river, for example grated bridges, and even one planked bridge. I also stumbled onto a tiny family cemetery, at the end of a 3-mile gravel road; 17 graves, all between 1859 and 1914.

I love riding the Airhead on these type roads; it is very surefooted, and my feet never get cold. I'd prefer a riding partner on a 2nd bike, especially in some of the desolate areas, but riding alone also is good therapy. LOL

20210122_145004.jpg20210122_141211.jpg20210122_143647.jpg

Last edited:
Some of my most enjoyable riding has been along both sides of the Ohio River and the smaller tributary rivers that flow into the Ohio River. It’s like going back into a time capsule. Daniel Boone, Lewis and Clark, pre Civil War, flat boats, fur traders, pioneers of an earlier era. Loved those scenic and historic rides.

Some of my most enjoyable riding has been along both sides of the Ohio River and the smaller tributary rivers that flow into the Ohio River. It’s like going back into a time capsule. Daniel Boone, Lewis and Clark, pre Civil War, flat boats, fur traders, pioneers of an earlier era. Loved those scenic and historic rides.

And --- moonshine! :)

66 Also

Did you ever ride 66 in Indiana I ride that road a lot or 42 the other side of Carrollton ,Ky
I also rode 66, but only when necessary, as it is a bit larger than I prefer. The pic above with the plank bridge is on 66, coming into Alton, IN.
UPDATE: My mistake, that is not 66 in Alton, 66 does not come till much later when heading north.

When leaving KY and going into IN, I get off 135 in IN and go through Mauckport, then other points north to Channelton, then cross over into Hawesville KY, and again snake along the Ohio river. Soo much to see on either side.

I also spent the first 5 years of life on a 182 acre farm near Wolf Creek KY, so it's kinda nostalgic too. I always enjoy going back in that area to visit, and have ridden just about every country road possible, within a 50 mile radius. The Gold Wing is terrible on those roads, kinda like driving a city bus through there, but the Airhead really shines and is more like driving a VW Beetle.

Also, not much danger of Covid out there, unless it transmits via livestock manure. LOL

Ps. As U ride those backroads; keep Ur eyes peeled for odd smoke signs. Moonshiner stills don’t U know. I might suggest bargaining for some of that shine. Then again they might take U for revenuer’s. Be very careful on the approach. Take a warning shot, seriously. Good luck. :thumb

Back