• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camhead Valve Check Inquiry

robbw

2013 R1200RT approx. 21K miles. Purchased in September with 18.5K miles. Unknown service history as servicing dealer closed. I have been doing all needed maintenance to familiarize myself with the camhead (this replaced a 2005 RT) and decided to change spark plugs and check valves. Yesterday I measured using the lines on the exhaust cams to find TDC and measured in mm. 5 of the 8 were at or below low end tolerance, but my feeler gauges don't have as many mm steps as I'd like.

I just went out this morning, with my beautiful assistant and pillion, and remeasured, this time using a bamboo skewer to make sure we were at TDC. I also measured in 1/1000 inch instead of mm. Specs are INTAKE .005"-.009" EXHAUST .011"-.016". Here are the results: left top intake .005" left bottom intake ,005" left top exhaust .014" left bottom exhaust .012" right top intake .007" right bottom intake .004" right top exhaust .014" right bottom exhaust .011". So according to that, my right bottom intake is too tight and 4 more are really close to tight tolerance. I ordered another feeler gauge and will recheck again when it arrives.

My question is, what would cause these measurements to be so tight on a bike with just 21K? :scratch:scratch:scratch It runs great but does use some oil. Thanks! Robb:bikes
Valves.jpg

Last edited:
If they are indeed that tight, then that would be unusual for a Camhead; they are known for the longterm stability of their valve settings. No idea as to why they would tighten, perhaps the previous owner adjusted them and did it incorrectly.

Any BMW dealer can pull up the history of your bike on their computer system. Anytime it is seen at a dealer they enter what was done. So a dealer can give you a record of scheduled maintenance, warranty work, service bulletins performed as well as recalls and damage repair. All that is needed is the VIN and a cooperative dealer.

perhaps the previous owner adjusted them and did it incorrectly.

I know the previous owner did NOT do any servicing in the two years he had it. The original owner had the dealer do all service work. But thanks for the reply!:)

My '11R has had to have a few shims changed before 25k miles, no big deal. I found after that though things settled in nicely and in the next 25k no changes were required.

My '11R has had to have a few shims changed before 25k miles, no big deal. I found after that though things settled in nicely and in the next 25k no changes were required.

Thanks for the reply! Now I have to track down shims and clips. Local dealer is about an hour away...

The PO of my 2013 R1200R had a valve adjustment done before I bought it with 16000 miles. It went another 32000 miles before a few of the valves were out of spec. Because the shims are expensive, I pulled the ones from the valves needing adjustment and found that a few of them would work in different valves to get them back into spec. I only had to buy 3 shims to service 6 valves. I ordered from Bob's and had the shims a couple of days later. I have Jim's JVB dvd for camhead servicing which was a great help.

Doug

The PO of my 2013 R1200R had a valve adjustment done before I bought it with 16000 miles. It went another 32000 miles before a few of the valves were out of spec. Because the shims are expensive, I pulled the ones from the valves needing adjustment and found that a few of them would work in different valves to get them back into spec. I only had to buy 3 shims to service 6 valves. I ordered from Bob's and had the shims a couple of days later. I have Jim's JVB dvd for camhead servicing which was a great help.

Doug
Thanks! Ordering parts tomorrow.

Back