• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake bleed - front brakes on 2001 R1100 R

eleven

I have a 2001 R1100 R and need to bleed the brakes. No ABS. Finished the rear with no problem. Noticed the front brakes consist of two calipers. The one on the right doesn’t have a bleed nipple but the left side does. What is the process for bleeding the front brake lines. If I bleed the left side does that take care of the right. I noticed the lines are connected. Thanks

I have a 2001 R1100 R and need to bleed the brakes. No ABS. Finished the rear with no problem. Noticed the front brakes consist of two calipers. The one on the right doesn’t have a bleed nipple but the left side does. What is the process for bleeding the front brake lines. If I bleed the left side does that take care of the right. I noticed the lines are connected. Thanks

Trace the lines again. Notice the brake line comes down and connects to the right caliper. Then another line takes off from where the bleed nipple would be if it had one and crosses over to the left caliper. And then there is that left bleed nipple. So the flow is from the master cylinder down to the right caliper, across to the left caliper, and out the bleed nipple on the left caliper.

Trace the lines again. Notice the brake line comes down and connects to the right caliper. Then another line takes off from where the bleed nipple would be if it had one and crosses over to the left caliper. And then there is that left bleed nipple. So the flow is from the master cylinder down to the right caliper, across to the left caliper, and out the bleed nipple on the left caliper.

Thanks

Sorry for responding to an old thread but I was doing some searching and came across this one.

The OP states he has a 2001 R1100R as do I. The difference is that my front lines go from the M/C down to a splitter that branches off to the right side OR the left side but definitely not like stated. It does not go to the right and then over to the left.

Just wondering why they would be different. On my right side caliper is the fluid filler adapter with a grub screw. I am thinking I will discard said adapter and just replace it with a regular bleeder.

Hope I'm not misinterpreting something here.

Sorry for responding to an old thread but I was doing some searching and came across this one.

The OP states he has a 2001 R1100R as do I. The difference is that my front lines go from the M/C down to a splitter that branches off to the right side OR the left side but definitely not like stated. It does not go to the right and then over to the left.

Just wondering why they would be different. On my right side caliper is the fluid filler adapter with a grub screw. I am thinking I will discard said adapter and just replace it with a regular bleeder.

Hope I'm not misinterpreting something here.

If you do remove it, it requires some heat. The filler is typically held with loctite.

"Just wondering why they would be different. On my right side caliper is the fluid filler adapter with a grub screw. I am thinking I will discard said adapter and just replace it with a regular bleeder."

You can take a bleed valve and put it into the adapter grub screw location, and leave it there. Or you can remove the adapter and put the bleed valve into the caliper, like it was intended... Heat the adapter before removing as mentioned above.

Done. Didn't need to heat the adapter. Just put a strip of rubber on the top of it and used a pair of slip joint pliers.
Easy, peasy.

Back