• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250RT fog light color?

ramble

ohbeemer
Are the 2020 OEM fog lights clear? Anyone know if the lens is replaceable with amber or amber bulb?

Last edited:
Are the 2020 OEM fog lights clear? Anyone know if the lens is replaceable with amber or amber bulb?

Yes and No. The lens is fixed inside the light and is not removable. As for the "bulb", there is none. The lighting device is a LED. Even if your watchmaker skills would allow you to remove them, there are no colored variations available. If you really must have amber or yellow lights, both Clearwater and Denali offer replacements and mounts to fit the OEM brackets. However, you are stuck with their "third wire" nightmare for dimming purposes that does NOT allow for a connection into the stock harness, but requires a complete new wiring setup with their proprietary junk. Relays, wiretapping into the OEM harness, a separate new switch, canbus issues etc.
I have had a discussion with Denali regarding a straight swap and a dongle to simply connect to the OEM harness, but they are not interested in selling more than they already do. It would be very simple to do and would allow you to swap out the lights for stronger, yellow or amber lens units which would work with the OEM harness for on/off and the green control light in the dash, etc.

you can, of course, simply add additional lights to the front, but you might run afoul of the local constabulary as legally more than 5 light pointing forward are not allowed. Since the aux lights stay on with the hi beams and the low beam only dims, not turns off, you have reached that number when you light up everything in the front.

YMMV

Yes and No. The lens is fixed inside the light and is not removable. As for the "bulb", there is none. The lighting device is a LED. Even if your watchmaker skills would allow you to remove them, there are no colored variations available. If you really must have amber or yellow lights, both Clearwater and Denali offer replacements and mounts to fit the OEM brackets. However, you are stuck with their "third wire" nightmare for dimming purposes that does NOT allow for a connection into the stock harness, but requires a complete new wiring setup with their proprietary junk. Relays, wiretapping into the OEM harness, a separate new switch, canbus issues etc.
I have had a discussion with Denali regarding a straight swap and a dongle to simply connect to the OEM harness, but they are not interested in selling more than they already do. It would be very simple to do and would allow you to swap out the lights for stronger, yellow or amber lens units which would work with the OEM harness for on/off and the green control light in the dash, etc.

you can, of course, simply add additional lights to the front, but you might run afoul of the local constabulary as legally more than 5 light pointing forward are not allowed. Since the aux lights stay on with the hi beams and the low beam only dims, not turns off, you have reached that number when you light up everything in the front.

YMMV
Well I don't know what bike you've installed Clearwaters on but on my '16 RT it was all done with their Canopener controller. It plugs in directly to the OEM connector for the TPMS. No external switch, the lights are controlled with the wonder wheel.
Yes you have to route wires but it was the easiest install I've done, no nightmares there...

This is what I did. The cover is from Clearwater, then I added some pipe foam insulation to fill it out and zip-tied it to the stock road lights. Works great and can be seen in my video.

Steve

download (2).png

Well I don't know what bike you've installed Clearwaters on but on my '16 RT it was all done with their Canopener controller. It plugs in directly to the OEM connector for the TPMS. No external switch, the lights are controlled with the wonder wheel.
Yes you have to route wires but it was the easiest install I've done, no nightmares there...

My Clearwater setup - Darla's, can opener, Billie - is now on my fourth BMW. All installed/uninstalled by me and zero cutting of any factory wires or buying any additional connectors. I did have to remove some body work to run the cabling but that was no big deal.

Last edited:
This is what I did. The cover is from Clearwater, then I added some pipe foam insulation to fill it out and zip-tied it to the stock road lights. Works great and can be seen in my video.

Steve

View attachment 81956

Nicely done, but those are NOT the stock BMW aux lights. The BMW OEM aux lights have a bulge in the lens for focusing purposes that would not allow your setup to work.

Nicely done, but those are NOT the stock BMW aux lights. The BMW OEM aux lights have a bulge in the lens for focusing purposes that would not allow your setup to work.

These ARE stock BMW lights the way they were delivered to me when I got it new. They do have have the bulge but the Clearwater lens cover goes over the stock lens. Works great.

Steve

I have never installed Clearwaters on any of my bikes. Denalis, yes. BTW where did you mount your lights? on the OEM mounts or the mirror brackets or the forks? And on the Denalis you will have to splice a wire into the OEM High Beam under the front cowling, etc. to allow for their switching/dimming. I agree with you that it's not a big deal, but it is engineered to fit many bikes and brands, with or without canbus. My last Denali installation was on a new 2016 FJR1300ES where I used the canyon cages from MS Enterprises to mount them on and ran a simple on/off toggle switch thru a power block to the dash. Looked OK and worked flawlessly.
On my Beemers OTOH I am quite happy with the stock front lighting. If need be I could swap out the highbeems for 100W bulbs which are available for 11 bucks a piece...but, alas, i don't even find that necessary. Now for the backend, that is a different story. Never seen punier lights. Even though I have the topcase brake ight setup. However, I solved that by adding Hyperlites Brake/Running lights (the 32 LED setup) and there is now sufficient lighting to be seen..YMMV

I have never installed Clearwaters on any of my bikes. Denalis, yes. BTW where did you mount your lights? on the OEM mounts or the mirror brackets or the forks? And on the Denalis you will have to splice a wire into the OEM High Beam under the front cowling, etc. to allow for their switching/dimming. I agree with you that it's not a big deal, but it is engineered to fit many bikes and brands, with or without canbus. My last Denali installation was on a new 2016 FJR1300ES where I used the canyon cages from MS Enterprises to mount them on and ran a simple on/off toggle switch thru a power block to the dash. Looked OK and worked flawlessly.
On my Beemers OTOH I am quite happy with the stock front lighting. If need be I could swap out the highbeems for 100W bulbs which are available for 11 bucks a piece...but, alas, i don't even find that necessary. Now for the backend, that is a different story. Never seen punier lights. Even though I have the topcase brake ight setup. However, I solved that by adding Hyperlites Brake/Running lights (the 32 LED setup) and there is now sufficient lighting to be seen..YMMV

They're mounted with the OEM bracket mounts.

20190514_115905 PA OH 2018.jpg

Last edited:

The bulge is what I was thinking was the problem. Does it bend enough?

Thanks Moto32, that looks like a good solution, and the covers look easy to clean and easy on off. any part no. for the PIAA covers?

Thanks Moto32, that looks like a good solution, and the covers look easy to clean and easy on off. any part no. for the PIAA covers?

Amber, pack of 2 P/N PIAA 41201
Clear, pack of 2 P/N PIAA 41200

Amazon or E-Bay or just Google for other sources. Apparently PIAA no longer sells them. Cost anywhere from 6-15 bucks per set.

Here's my setup with complete Ilium bars and light mounts, etc on my 2020. (The Brembo conversion is BMW installed)

Attachments

• PXL_20210129_193451414.jpg
    PXL_20210129_193451414.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20210129_193437971.jpg
    PXL_20210129_193437971.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back