• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I buy cam tension tools? Anyone in the Long Beach area looking to share?

smuehler

Looking to purchase the tools needed to do the job.
Tensioner
Sleeve
Alignment pin
Alignment jig
16mm clawfoot
I know you can check and adjust valves without these tools. And I have. But I thought since I am about to do my 24,000 mile service I might as well check my cam chain tension.
I would also consider buying them as a group and sharing with the right people. Or buying in with someone who already has the tools. You use these tools so infrequently. Of course they would have to be geographically desirable. L.A. county or North O.C. I am in Long Beach.
Thanks in advance, Steve

Welcome to the forum!
We don't actually allow "want to buy" or "want to sell" activities on the forum. This is because there is no cleanup and years from now, someone looking at your post may be trying to contact you.
I'm pretty sure that you are looking for a place to buy them? Perhaps looking for a "split" purchase between owners in your area?
There are a number of threads that show/talk/display the tools and the fact that they have become scarce....Have a look through the Wethead section.
If that is the case, I can re-format your title and perhaps you can edit your post to reflect that.
Normally, the "WTB"/"WTS" threads are closed and later deleted. I will leave this one sit and see how it goes.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.
Gary

Next week I plan on making 4ea DIY pieces of the Cam Chain Tension Tool found in the thread Gary refers to as well as a NEW DIY Indexing Pin to lock the engine at TDC for each cylinder in turn to do the cam timing.

I hope to post a YouTube video of how to make the DIY Indexing Pin TDC Tool ASAP.

I've got the file someone else created to make the Cam alignment Jig on my 3D printer, but have my doubts that it will be made with enough precision to be usable…I'll report back when I've printed and tested a few of them.

As far as the Torque adaptor, I'd recommend using a 2in box end adaptor vs a traditional "crows foot" so you can have better surface contact on the bolt holding the driven gear onto the cam shaft itself.
Here's a link to the 5/8 inch version that is the same size as the 16mm bolt, and less expensive.
https://tinyurl.com/y5ragvcv

I don't plan to sell these things but am making them for folks that I've been working with/helping via these online forums.
4C41DF30-CFD1-4315-934A-F8A8B842EBB3_1_105_c-M.jpg
65BEA1C1-F246-4019-8C77-59B1F5F8EF57_1_105_c-M.jpg

Good morning Boxflyer,
I did see your video:
DIY BMW WetHead Cam Chain Tensioner R1200/R1250
I was not giving myself the confidence and ability to make the DIY tool.
I would love to count in on your build if possible. I would be happy and honored to reimburse you for your time, knowledge and effort.
Thanks. Steve

Thanks Lee,
Unfortunately I am on the west coast. I need to do my 24,000 mile service and was hoping to have the tools in hand when I tear into it.
Hopefully someone will reach out.
Steve

Tools

I purchased the timing chain tensioner, the alignment tool and the crank pin tool from BMW. The timing chain tensioner works on the 1200 and 1250, but you will need to purchase the blue spacer ring for the 1250. They fit and are of the highest quality. Both my wife and I ride BMW R1200/1250's, so it takes little time to pay for the tools compared to taking the bike to the dealer for service. As well if you have the tools you can do this job at a more regular interval, I do it at 20,000kms. I can take my time and make sure the job is done correctly. I do the initial measurement adjustment at 10,000kms, and record all measurement for the life of the bike on my service worksheet. The record shows the drift of the valve's and gives me a good indication when they will need to be adjusted. I have done a few friends bikes as well and from my experience the valve cam timing is off on every bike and occasionally there some shims that need to be changed at 10,000kms. The bike run so much better (smoother) when in spec. it is worth the time it takes to do it.

The tool I had some difficulty in finding was the torque wrench extender. Thanks to BoxFlyer for is help in locating one.

Back