Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: ran when parked

  1. #1

    ran when parked

    Hello,
    I am working on a friends 1971 R50/5. It sat for 3 years. The mileage is unknown. It's the old "ran when parked" story. So I have never heard it run. I have performed the following:
    points, condenser, plugs and plug wires, all fluids, new positive and negative battery cables, rebuilt carbs, new battery, and I cleaned up electrical connections and adjusted the valves.
    It won't start. I have a nice blue spark, and fresh fuel. It has only 70 psi. compression on both sides. I know this is really bad, but I have had other bikes that ran with less (not BMW's).
    Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by edzr60; 01-22-2021 at 03:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User ebeeby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    661
    Are you confident in your valve adjustment? Had you done a BMW boxer valve adjustment before?
    1973 R75/5

  3. #3
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    2,078
    +1 on the valves; but for me, I wonder how you timed it??? Yes, you would have to static time it and it's best do using at the minimum a bulb that you can hook up to the points hot side and ground.........For me, I use an ohm meter; but no matter what, the timing could be off just enough to get a spark but at the wrong place on the timing sequence. ............Dont touch the carbs but have you checked the fuel level in the bowl???

  4. #4
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,008
    Spark...fuel...compression. You indicate that it is low compression...that could be the valve clearances. You have spark...but as mentioned at the right time? And fuel. Is there fuel in the float bowls? Have you tried using the choke/enrichener system? It might need a little help when trying to start cold.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  5. #5

    Thanks

    Thanks for the input. I am sure the valves are adjusted correctly. I timed it with a test light connected to the condenser and the "S" mark in the middle of the window. I'm not sure what you mean about an enrichener. I just have the plungers that flood the float bowl.

  6. #6
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,008
    So it's a 1971 R50/5...you wrote R50/2. At any rate, I forgot you have the slide carbs which have ticklers like the earlier /2s. How do you use the ticklers when you try to start the bike?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    So it's a 1971 R50/5...you wrote R50/2. At any rate, I forgot you have the slide carbs which have ticklers like the earlier /2s. How do you use the ticklers when you try to start the bike?
    I hold them down until gas leaks out.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    So it's a 1971 R50/5...you wrote R50/2. At any rate, I forgot you have the slide carbs which have ticklers like the earlier /2s. How do you use the ticklers when you try to start the bike?
    Yes, sorry it's a /5. nice catch

  9. #9
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,008
    Quote Originally Posted by edzr60 View Post
    I hold them down until gas leaks out.
    That's not the way to use it. You're basically flooding it and hardly any engine will start like that. The tickler does depress the float to allow gas to flow into the float bowl. But you want to stop short of having gas drip out on the ground. I recommend that you begin holding down the tickler button for only short periods of time. I'd try holding it down for a count of say 3 or 4. Then try your starter. If the engine doesn't want to catch, try the tickler for another count of 1 maybe 2. I think somewhere between holding it down 3 to 6 times should be the right spot. Gas dripping on the ground is too much IMO.

    It's a delicate balance...I "fight" this on my two vintage bikes that only have a kick start. You are trying to find the balance between dry float bowls and gas on your feet!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Deerfield, Ohio
    Posts
    74
    I have exactly the same bike. Like what was already suggested you are flooded. Pull the spark plugs, ground the wires to avoid sparks and spin the engine to clear the fuel. Try again with less tickle! Or no tickle.

    Was the throttle wide open when checking compression?
    1980 R100T
    1971 R50/5
    G650GS
    1947 James ML

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    That's not the way to use it. You're basically flooding it and hardly any engine will start like that. The tickler does depress the float to allow gas to flow into the float bowl. But you want to stop short of having gas drip out on the ground. I recommend that you begin holding down the tickler button for only short periods of time. I'd try holding it down for a count of say 3 or 4. Then try your starter. If the engine doesn't want to catch, try the tickler for another count of 1 maybe 2. I think somewhere between holding it down 3 to 6 times should be the right spot. Gas dripping on the ground is too much IMO.

    It's a delicate balance...I "fight" this on my two vintage bikes that only have a kick start. You are trying to find the balance between dry float bowls and gas on your feet!
    I hesitate to offer this but...what worked on my Gold Star was to tickle it until gas flowed, give it a few kicks without any throttle, then if it didn't at least pop, kick a few times with the throttle held wide open. That usually worked. Of course the last day I rode it before selling it, it started first kick and then continued to do do by the second kick all day. It had never ever done that before. It was 96 that day.
    '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R (gone but not forgotten: '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

  12. #12
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,008
    ccolwell -

    I certainly agree with your comment, although I'm not a fan of having gas pouring out the side of the carb. On my R69S and R25/2, I do my tickle routine and then kick through maybe 5-6 times. This serves to pull the air-gas mixture into the combustion chamber. Then I use the kicker to move the engine around until I feel the compression stroke. Then with throttle cracked no more than 1/4, give it a swift kick. Maybe 7 out of 10 times, I'm successful but I have to be ready to stab at the ticklers and work the throttle. If it doesn't start and I've reached the possible situation where I might have flooded it, I roll the throttle wide open and kick through maybe half a dozen times to pull fresh air into the chamber. That usually helps. If that still doesn't work, I remove a spark plug, kick through to expel the mixture and try again.

    With the R50/5, typically people just use the electrical starter. But with the added kick start, one could incorporate some of the above to "prime" the engine before hitting the start button.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    I have exactly the same bike. Like what was already suggested you are flooded. Pull the spark plugs, ground the wires to avoid sparks and spin the engine to clear the fuel. Try again with less tickle! Or no tickle.

    Was the throttle wide open when checking compression?
    Yes, throttle was wide open during compression test.

  14. #14
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,910
    On a couple of old Triumphs (one mine, others friends'), releasing the tickler just a moment after gas flowed out seemed to be right... Considering the state of "technology" of their carbs and ignitions, it was important to not flood it or sprain your ankle.

    Might the low compression be because the valves were set with the crank mark at TDC for the "wrong" cylinder... twice...?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by edzr60 View Post
    Hello,
    I am working on a friends 1971 R50/5. It sat for 3 years. The mileage is unknown. It's the old "ran when parked" story. So I have never heard it run. I have performed the following:
    points, condenser, plugs and plug wires, all fluids, new positive and negative battery cables, rebuilt carbs, new battery, and I cleaned up electrical connections and adjusted the valves.
    It won't start. I have a nice blue spark, and fresh fuel. It has only 70 psi. compression on both sides. I know this is really bad, but I have had other bikes that ran with less (not BMW's).
    Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    If it has the stock Bing Slide carbs, I'm assuming you had them set at WOT before doing the compression test?

Similar Threads

  1. 72 R60/5 Leaking Fuel from carbs when parked
    By hubigpie in forum Airheads
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2020, 03:52 AM
  2. GS parked on it's side...
    By mike cousino in forum Campfire
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •