• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 RT Intermittent Stuttering/surging Running Problems

Did you get the coils from the dealer or from the source you sent? If you got them from the source, were there any issues? The savings is a couple hundred dollars.

I did test two coils last night and one is weak. I am thinking that I should just replace all 4 to be safe.

Thanks

Sorry just saw this. I ended up finding a set of used coils on eBay from a 2011 that had 6000 miles on it but was parted out due being totaled by insurance as I recall from front end damage so I figured coils were like new compared to mind with 50k + miles. I would have purchased from aftermarket source in CO if I had not found these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy Peasy, just need the right part

On my 2011 RT, I had the same symptoms you describe. When I bought mine with 11k miles it had only run about 1k in 6 years, so naturally I went about cleaning the fuel system because these symptoms easily can be caused by bad gas, clogged injector, or gunk in the tank, filter etc. To no avail. Discussing this with a group and one fellow said, same bike, same problem, ready to sell/give it away. We got our heads together, did the research, finally decided to swap the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and borrowed one from another bike. Friend went first, put a tank of gas through it with no problem. I did the same, however I knew after 2 miles that mine was fixed, because it barely ran before. Take off the left side plastic and its's a 5 minute fix. Neither have had any recurring problem for over 20k miles each. TPS, also known as "Throttle Valve Switch", about $200 from Max, or A&S, or Bob's. 13 54 8 406 249 THROTTLE VALVE SWITCH

Back