• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS - bypass or replace with used?

My 2002 R1150RS appears to have a problem with the ABS module - rear brakes not working. Unfortunately, a new replacement is too expensive and ModuleMaster has a wait list for rebuilds that exceeds a year. Some people recommend bypassing it and doing without. Alternatively, I could get a used unit and use that until my original one could be rebuilt.
I'd like to hear about other peoples experiences dealing with ABS module issues. Also, is there anyone else besides ModuleMaster who does rebuilds?

My 2002 R1150RS appears to have a problem with the ABS module - rear brakes not working. Unfortunately, a new replacement is too expensive and ModuleMaster has a wait list for rebuilds that exceeds a year. Some people recommend bypassing it and doing without. Alternatively, I could get a used unit and use that until my original one could be rebuilt.
I'd like to hear about other peoples experiences dealing with ABS module issues. Also, is there anyone else besides ModuleMaster who does rebuilds?

I'd opt for a working used unit while yours gets refurbished but there are many who simply bypass the unit altogether.

Interesting that your rear circuit has failed also...

I'm allegedly on ModuleMaster's overhaul list, but I've had no response to my last email sent on December 24th. It seems that emails aren't a priority.

In the meantime I've purchased and installed the 'Second Life Kit' from RH Electronics. Bypassing the ABS unit can be done much less expensively, but the Second Life Kit is plug-&-play and also controls the brake light stuff. All factory brake lines stay in place. It looks pretty but I do miss the whine of the motors!

Bleeding the brake system was most easily done with a combination of a MityVac vacuum bleeder and speedbleeders from OEMCycles.

Unfortunately, I haven't ridden it yet; the temperature, snow and resultant gravelsalt on the roads here in the Great White North is preventing me from riding around the block to try it out.

I believe RHE overhauls ABS units as well. It may be a consideration if MM doesn't come through, notwithstanding shipping the lump to der fazerland.

When I purchased the kit last year, they would only accept a bank transfer for payment; no cards or paypal. Correspondence was responsive. Danielle, I believe.

https://shop.rhelectronics.de/shop/produkt/motorrad/second-life-kit/rh-second-life-kit/

I'd opt for a working used unit while yours gets refurbished but there are many who simply bypass the unit altogether.

I am a big believer in the lifesaving ability of ABS, and the newer the generation, the better. I have no doubt that I can't out perform an ABS system under the most idea of situations, and certainly not under a real world panic event. So, if this were me, I would get my bike on the road with a used unit and get my original rebuilt.

I had the opportunity to test my new 04 RS with 2nd gen ABS 2 days after I bought it.
Upgrading from a 78 80/7 with, whoa 1 disk up front and drum in the back.
On a SW MO road (Ozarks), coming through a curve (hmm perhaps a little fast, it was a great road) and it becomes apparent there is a cross street on the other side.
It was a school day and as I cross the Apex of the curve a teenager pulled out from the cross street in front of me to make a left turn.
My immediate thought was SOB, this s%&* better work! I am going to grab as much brake and as fast as possible, beyond what I would have thought to apply on any other bikes I've owned.
Not sure how to describe the feeling of ABS pulsing, but it worked!
Stopped about a foot from his door and I think he peed his pants.

I won't own a bike now without it (unless I become a crazy and start collecting them).

I had the opportunity to test my new 04 RS with 2nd gen ABS 2 days after I bought it.
Upgrading from a 78 80/7 with, whoa 1 disk up front and drum in the back.
On a SW MO road (Ozarks), coming through a curve (hmm perhaps a little fast, it was a great road) and it becomes apparent there is a cross street on the other side.
It was a school day and as I cross the Apex of the curve a teenager pulled out from the cross street in front of me to make a left turn.
My immediate thought was SOB, this s%&* better work! I am going to grab as much brake and as fast as possible, beyond what I would have thought to apply on any other bikes I've owned.
Not sure how to describe the feeling of ABS pulsing, but it worked!
Stopped about a foot from his door and I think he peed his pants.

I won't own a bike now without it (unless I become a crazy and start collecting them).

That is exactly why I believe in ABS. Thanks for sharing.

Back