Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Mileage Mainteinance

Quote Originally Posted by pjar View Post
    Hi Paul,

What lube do you use on the barrel? I've had three broken cables between my two K75's. I now feel proficient at shifting without clutching when needed (as long as I'm not stopped!). Truth be told you can usually feel when the cable is starting to fray and avoid the no-clutch challenge.
    I have used several greases. Nothing really special. Currently I have a sticky green grease in a small grease gun for general purposes. Look at the small grease cylinders - about an inch in diameter and 6 inches long at an auto parts store. The Sta-Lube brand is pretty good and any grease with an EP (extreme presssure) rating would be good. The key is to refresh it at least once a year if not more often.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by pjar View Post
    Hi Paul,

What lube do you use on the barrel? I've had three broken cables between my two K75's. I now feel proficient at shifting without clutching when needed (as long as I'm not stopped!). Truth be told you can usually feel when the cable is starting to fray and avoid the no-clutch challenge.
    I'll jump in here for a moment. I check and lube all cables every 6,000 miles or once a year, and clean both cable ends and lube them with wheel bearing grease. In that process I check that the lever end of the cable moves very smoothly as the lever pivots with no catching or hanging. If needed, I take off the lever and smooth the barrel hole with a piece of rolled up fine grit sandpaper so it has a smooth surface. Since starting this routine many years ago I've never had to practice my clutchless shifting technique.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Clutch Cable Life: K bikes

While riding back from Maine, I stopped in Max BMW in NH. My clutch cable round top end knub had popped out of the lever once. When I asked their parts counter about it, they took a quick look at my '85K100RS w high miles and noticed that a felt piece was missing from this area.

It is a felt cylinder about 1/4" in diameter, with a step and about an inch long, I bought one they had in stock, slipped it on and learned.

Often felt is used in machines to hold oil and apply lube for months/years as long as the felt doesn't dry out. I think it's there to do this.

Some of the details could be off as it was 10 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 075038 View Post
    While riding back from Maine, I stopped in Max BMW in NH. My clutch cable round top end knub had popped out of the lever once. When I asked their parts counter about it, they took a quick look at my '85K100RS w high miles and noticed that a felt piece was missing from this area.

It is a felt cylinder about 1/4" in diameter, with a step and about an inch long, I bought one they had in stock, slipped it on and learned.

Often felt is used in machines to hold oil and apply lube for months/years as long as the felt doesn't dry out. I think it's there to do this.

Some of the details could be off as it was 10 or so years ago.
    That felt piece may lube the end of the cable but it is the drum on the end and the socket that it fits into that need to be cleaned and lubricated.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I'll jump in here for a moment. I check and lube all cables every 6,000 miles or once a year, and clean both cable ends and lube them with wheel bearing grease. In that process I check that the lever end of the cable moves very smoothly as the lever pivots with no catching or hanging. If needed, I take off the lever and smooth the barrel hole with a piece of rolled up fine grit sandpaper so it has a smooth surface. Since starting this routine many years ago I've never had to practice my clutchless shifting technique.
    I assume you mean lube the just ends? I thought these cables were Teflon coated on the inside, so any petroleum lube would destroy that lining?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...le-Lubrication
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

3 Red Bricks
    1. No lube on teflon lined cables.

2. Clean and grease barrels on both ends (and hole in lever and area on tranny bellcrank).

3. Felt at top and accordian boot at bottom keep grit and moisture from getting into cable.

Lack of #2 is the #1 cause of clutch cable failure. Most cable failure is right near the barrels due to repeated cable bending because the barrel is stuck.

If you carry a spare clutch cable, always carry a spare upper barrel (NOT included with new cable) taped to the new cable. Barrel could fall out on the road when the cable breaks. DAMHIK!!!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare